Heritage Owners Club

Confession. I am sorry! Read if you listened to the Tweed clips

Kuz

Here is my thing... and this applies to classic/legendary amps as well as modelers: does it sound good? If the answer is yes... then who cares how it got made or what it does or doesn't sound like? I really REALLY think WAY too much is made of the tube/ss/digital thing.

BINGO!!

a buddy has an old '80's CRATE SS amp that looks like a complete piece of junk....but when I go over to jam I use it and it sounds friggin GREAT

...once in a while someone forgets they're plugged into it and are raving about the tone, even the guy who owns it!!

but it looks ugly.....many ppl listen with their eyes...or if they think something is an "xxxx" amp our brain automatically likes it, when we hear it

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the key here is that the Axe-FX's real strength is in recording. No spending an hour to find the sweet spot for the mic, isolating the cabinet and setting all the levels only to find out that the tone isn't right through the monitors even if it sounds killer in the room. What comes out of the Axe-FX goes direct to the tape (or hard drive). Monitor everything on your studio monitors (full range) and when you find the sound you are after, it will be there whenever you need it. You also don't have to drive the neighbors crazy with 100+dB guitar amps cranked to get "the tone". Late at night with a pair of headphones and a guitar, laying down a track and nobody knows you're there.

This is GREAT for those overdubs. Once you tear down a mic/amp setup, its really tough to find exactly that setup. It might be an inch off, but on a high resolution system, the difference can pop out. With the Axe-FX, you can come back a month later, punch up the patch plug in the guitar and be right back where you started.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000 Rich, you are DEAD ON CORRECT!!!!!

It's strength is also in live. I used the old POD Pros for this. You have to divorce yourself from the idea of classic amp live setups. If you need personal amplification, you have to think in terms of a personal PA system. A SS power amp (Crown, QSC or something) into a full range cabinet meant for PA use. This gives you more control over your live sound as well. You don't have to worry about a flunky at a club doing a mic job you aren't wild about. All they have to do is give you an XLR cable and their job on the stage is done as far as you are concerned. You have your personal PA for guitar just for stage volume. You hear essentially what the crowd hears: a mic'd cab sound.

If I had the dough to go for a Axe-FX rig, I'd go this route:

Axe-FX (of course) into maybe an Active Mackie SLR 450 or something.

For recording, I'd be more particular about the speakers and power sources. Live... there are just far too many uncontrolled variables. The Axe-FX lessens that number of uncontrolled variables down to the quality of equipment at the club and the sound guy's ability to mix the sound. Of course... you are ALWAYS at the mercy of those factors. You can bring a holy grail setup and sound like dog squeeze with those two issues. haha.

At least here, you are getting mic position and so on out of their hands and into yours.

Only issue is that LIVE you have to go into the patch to change an amp setting (more gain, less gain, more highs, more less, ect...). Personally, I would take my laptop witn me where you can control the rig/patches in real time with the free Axe-Edit software. So then it is like you have all the knobs in front of you like a real rig.

When I was at Disney World with the family over Christmas break, the live band they had playing during the parades (and afterward on the big stage) the guitarist was using a POD LIVE rig. I had one of these and couldn't get a good sound out of it (compared to the Axe-Fx) but he sounded quite good playing a Flying V through it.

Only issue is that LIVE you have to go into the patch to change an amp setting (more gain, less gain, more highs, more less, ect...). Personally, I would take my laptop witn me where you can control the rig/patches in real time with the free Axe-Edit software. So then it is like you have all the knobs in front of you like a real rig.

When I was at Disney World with the family over Christmas break, the live band they had playing during the parades (and afterward on the big stage) the guitarist was using a POD LIVE rig. I had one of these and couldn't get a good sound out of it (compared to the Axe-Fx) but he sounded quite good playing a Flying V through it.

OH! Ok. I thought the Axe-FX was like the POD Pro where whatever patch you have live is immediately controllable like having any other amp. Yeah, I get what you're saying. The POD I guess is better suited for live use.

OH! Ok. I thought the Axe-FX was like the POD Pro where whatever patch you have live is immediately controllable like having any other amp. Yeah, I get what you're saying. The POD I guess is better suited for live use.

No the Axe-Fx can be, but you need the parameters available ( the "knobs" and such) open on a screen to change them. Some guys use expression pedals for volume. Others will make a "boost pedal" patch controlled by a midi floor board for boosting gain or volume for solos.. ect....

Well, crap, now I feel I have given a wrong impression.

I should have said "it is a rack unit with Midi control".

Well, crap, now I feel I have given a wrong impression.

I should have said "it is a rack unit with Midi control".

Nah. You're fine. Gear should always be researched. ;)

You know... if I were to go this route again... I'd probably just go POD HD500 or something. Familiarity and have never had a problem with the tones I can coax from a POD.

However, if money weren't an object, I'd seriously give a Roland VG-99 a looksee! I remember when the VG-8 came out. I wasn't terribly impressed. It had some REALLY neat ideas but I just didn't care for the sound. I heard a guy messing with one of the VG-99's in the store I hit up at lunch often. Well, I heard a guy playing some MEAN chicken-pickin in what I was so sure was going to be a Tele+Fender amp combo. Nope... it was a cheap LP type with the midi pickup and the VG-99. At this point, I was still assuming. I thought it was at least the pickups in the guitar and the synth was just acting like a COSM POD or something. I got corrected. It was that midi pickup. Those jerks made me late back from lunch! haha. I can't say how this would hold up in terms of sounding just like this guitar with these pickups into this amp. But.. I can say its Tele+Fender amp vibe in that guy's hands was VERY impressive. One day I will have to see how my playing sounds through one! :D

This crap is getting better... and better... and better...

Archived