Heritage Owners Club

Confession. I am sorry! Read if you listened to the Tweed clips

Kuz

I am sorry and I know some of you may be mad.

The clips I made with the "Tweed Deluxe", BOTH the 150s and the Kirn Tele WERE DONE ON THE AXE-FX!!!!

Technically, I didn't really lie!!!!

1) I did use "my" Tweed Deluxe (modeled off the Axe-Fx)

2) I did run the modeled "Tweed" through a Celestion Blue Bell Alnico VIRTUAL IR Cabinet

3) This was "mic'd" with a VIRTUAL Sure SM57 1" off the cap edge

If you want to think of it as a Pyschological Experiment of Tone, well then you might not get as mad.

I know some will respond, "Well, I always knew it sounded like a "modeled" Tweed, not like the real thing". Well, no one actually said that BEFORE my confession.

Some of the poeple that responded I feel know tone well and were either just being nice OR REALLY THOUGHT IT SOUNDED LIKE A REAL TWEED DELUXE.

FWIW, I used to own the pictured Tweed Deluxe in the thread, but sold it to get back my Blonde Golden Eagle. I feel the Axe-Fx sounds VERY similiar, if not the same as how the real one did.

PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR RECRUITING YOU IN PART OF MY EXPERIMENT. NO KITTENS WERE HARMED IN MAKING THESE CLIPS!!!!

http://soundcloud.com/jjkuz/01-tweed-deluxe-150-gt-lollar

http://soundcloud.com/jjkuz/02-tweed-deluxe-150-peter

http://soundcloud.com/jjkuz/03-tweed-deluxe-150-gt-sle-101

http://soundcloud.com/jjkuz/01-tweed-deluxe-kirn-tele

http://soundcloud.com/jjkuz/02-tweed-deluxe-cranked-kirn

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude that's funny! I actually haven't had time to listen to the clips though.

Listen and let me know what you think, you were one of the ones I was hoping to hear a tone (not playing) critque from!!!!

That's my boy, John...keepin' it real...virtually. Really. Not real, but virtually really real.... Uh...glad I've got a real 5E3...clone. But it's a real clone, unlike John's virtually real clone.... What was the question?

ha, that's funny

got to keep in mind though, most people are polite and will say nice things about posted clips..I know this for a fact, after posting some of my crap!

...now we need some *real* tweed deluxe clips to compare :D

Is nothing sacred anymore! I feel so betrayed! :rofl_mini:

I did expect this confession when the clip was first posted... not based on the sound, but rather based on all the recent talk about the Axe FX. Though after your comment and the photo to go along with it, that suspicion was indeed subsided; and my good sir, you've had me!

Real or emulated matters not... those clips sounded damn good!

Had I even a tenth of the required talent I'd submit an example of the real thing as a comparison... but even at that, different guitar, different speaker, different recording gear... and mine would be my own personal build, which is not exactly 100% true to the original. To make a long story short... well played Kuz :icon_salut:

I don't mind being had. It was an interesting experiment and John you proved your point.

Now, that being said, I know I can't afford $2500 for axe effects,and don't have time to struggle to learn another complex computer-like instrument. I can barely learn my hand-held digital recorder, which came with a poorly written manual with omissions, and a very difficult software program. I feel I've spent too many precious hours of my life at computers, learning technology, fixing technology, and I don't have enough hours in a day. More power to those of you who do have the monetary wherewithall, patience, and computer savvy to learn it. So, give me an old-fashioned plug-in amp. Not much of a learning curve there, no time wasted. I'd rather spend my time learning to play my axe better. Carry on.

Listen and let me know what you think, you were one of the ones I was hoping to hear a tone (not playing) critque from!!!!

I appreciate that but there are a couple problems , I really don't have much experience with tweed amps! ( that's the biggest problem) The other thing is, I don't have the greatest audio on my end.

I'm going to to give it a listen tommorrow it's nitey nite now thow.

Guest HRB853370

I am sorry and I know some of you may be mad.

The clips I made with the "Tweed Deluxe", BOTH the 150s and the Kirn Tele WERE DONE ON THE AXE-FX!!!!

Technically, I didn't really lie!!!!

1) I did use "my" Tweed Deluxe (modeled off the Axe-Fx)

2) I did run the modeled "Tweed" through a Celestion Blue Bell Alnico VIRTUAL IR Cabinet

3) This was "mic'd" with a VIRTUAL Sure SM57 1" off the cap edge

If you want to think of it as a Pyschological Experiment of Tone, well then you might not get as mad.

I know some will respond, "Well, I always knew it sounded like a "modeled" Tweed, not like the real thing". Well, no one actually said that BEFORE my confession.

Some of the poeple that responded I feel know tone well and were either just being nice OR REALLY THOUGHT IT SOUNDED LIKE A REAL TWEED DELUXE.

FWIW, I used to own the pictured Tweed Deluxe in the thread, but sold it to get back my Blonde Golden Eagle. I feel the Axe-Fx sounds VERY similiar, if not the same as how the real one did.

PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR RECRUITING YOU IN PART OF MY EXPERIMENT. NO KITTENS WERE HARMED IN MAKING THESE CLIPS!!!!

http://soundcloud.co...e-150-gt-lollar

http://soundcloud.co...eluxe-150-peter

http://soundcloud.co...-150-gt-sle-101

http://soundcloud.co...eluxe-kirn-tele

http://soundcloud.co...xe-cranked-kirn

I feel so deceived. My opinion of you has dropped 10,000 ft. Your credibility is totally shot. I wouldn't trust you in a dark room with my Grandmother.

JUST KIDDING!

Hell, I hadn't even had a chance to listen to them. Good job though!!

Not really a good comparison by any means... but couldn't help but sneak into the guitar room and play a few quick random notes (didn't want to play too long or too loud as to risk bothering sleepy and/or sleeping neighbors)

This is guitar straight into 5E3... recorded with an SM57 straight into my Mac Book via an XLR to USB adapter - this would have likely sounded much better through an actual interface; without the preamp the mic did not like picking up the bass notes at all.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3272872/5E3.mp3

You DOG! Well, I DID listen to the clips, and I HAVE been haunted by that great tone for the last few days (Check my Tweed Deluxe thread in Amplification,) all to find out it's just a bunch of 1's and 0's?! How could YOU?! I feel so dirty... :laughing9:

I certainly won't say "I knew it all along," but I DID think it sounded like you had a compressor on it or something; it just sounded so smooth and studio quality, honestly, it sounded like something out of a professionally produced session. SOOO, thanks for stealing several hours sleep from my, John, but, I guess thanks MORE for 'fessing up before I make another purchase I don't NEED to try to sound like something I WON'T! haha

I don't mind being had. It was an interesting experiment and John you proved your point.

Now, that being said, I know I can't afford $2500 for axe effects,and don't have time to struggle to learn another complex computer-like instrument. I can barely learn my hand-held digital recorder, which came with a poorly written manual with omissions, and a very difficult software program. I feel I've spent too many precious hours of my life at computers, learning technology, fixing technology, and I don't have enough hours in a day. More power to those of you who do have the monetary wherewithall, patience, and computer savvy to learn it. So, give me an old-fashioned plug-in amp. Not much of a learning curve there, no time wasted. I'd rather spend my time learning to play my axe better. Carry on.

+1,000,000

Well, I think you are maybe missing the point.

1) How much is a "real" Fender Deluxe... the Custom Shop Fender Deluxe is $2000. And that is for ONLY ONE AMP.

2) A used Axe-Fx Standard or used Axe-Fs Ultra cost $1500 (there are addition costs but I wouldn't say it cost $2500)

3) AND here is where I think you missed the point.... Let's just say the Axe-Fx with all the goodies does cost $2500.

-I dialed up a realistic souding Tweed and now it is saved as a preset forever.

-I am working on recording my take on the "HOC Backing Track" now I am using a Mesa Boogie Mark IV

-I have 68 other amps that sound darn near real/incredibly close/the same as the real thing!!!

My point is you aren't paying $1500-2200 for ONE AMP, BUT FOR OVER 70 AMPS!!! PLUS ALL THE STOMP BOXES (OVER 30), PLUS OVER 40 CABINETS!!!!

Also there is an Axe-Fx forum where guys have a preset exchange with hundreds is not thousands of preset of amps that they have already dialed in. So the work is mostly done. I just request a great Santana tone and BOOM, some one will share their preset. Then I turn a few knows to chang it to my tastes.

ADD up how much money you have in amps, stomp boxes, speaker cabs. It may be near the figure of $2500 or maybe not. But then consider with the Axe-Fx wil give you 60 times what you currently have.

Bottom line.... I don't think the Axe-FX is for everyone, I am not trying to sell it to anyone. If don't enjoy tweaking a bit or searching for new/different tones, I would not recommend the Axe-FX. I am not going to sell any of my amps either because I love tubes too. But it is not just $2500 for one amp.

Not really a good comparison by any means... but couldn't help but sneak into the guitar room and play a few quick random notes (didn't want to play too long or too loud as to risk bothering sleepy and/or sleeping neighbors)

This is guitar straight into 5E3... recorded with an SM57 straight into my Mac Book via an XLR to USB adapter - this would have likely sounded much better through an actual interface; without the preamp the mic did not like picking up the bass notes at all.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3272872/5E3.mp3

That sounds GREAT!!!

I went for a more "break up tone" on my clips. But it goes to show 2 things...

1) The real tube amps sounds GREAT!!!

2) With the Axe-Fx I don't have to worry about how loud I am beacuse the Axe-Fx can be .1 of a watt and I can get clean or total crunch sounds through the studio monitors. OR I can just plug my headphones in the mixer and record as loud as I want.

But I don't want to dismiss your clip at all, sounded great!!!! Thanks for posting.

That sounds GREAT!!!

I went for a more "break up tone" on my clips. But it goes to show 2 things...

1) The real tube amps sounds GREAT!!!

2) With the Axe-Fx I don't have to worry about how loud I am beacuse the Axe-Fx can be .1 of a watt and I can get clean or total crunch sounds through the studio monitors. OR I can just plug my headphones in the mixer and record as loud as I want.

But I don't want to dismiss your clip at all, sounded great!!!! Thanks for posting.

That is is the real highlight right there!

I absolutely LOVE the overdriven sound of the 5E3 - but it has to be loud to get it there. My own example also tells that tale - I had to have the amp down low, and near but not at it's sweet spot, because it was late and I have nearby neighbors I did not want to bother.

That is is the real highlight right there!

I absolutely LOVE the overdriven sound of the 5E3 - but it has to be loud to get it there. My own example also tells that tale - I had to have the amp down low, and near but not at it's sweet spot, because it was late and I have nearby neighbors I did not want to bother.

Well, it sounded great either way.

Thanks again for posting!!!

Very cool!.

I downloaded the owners manual and there's a lot to study. In the interest of time, please answer me this: What do AXE-FX users normally output to?

• A PA and monitors
  • Directly to monitors
  • A home stereo system?
  • Their favorite amp (tube or solid state and does it matter?)

Guest HRB853370

You could not have said it better. It is sad that technology has diverted many of us into just learning how to use the new stuff, instead of spending the limited and valuable hours in a day practicing what we love to do. Hell, I don't even know what Axe is. Last time I checked, it was a container of deoderant on my bathroom counter. But, to each his/her own.

Well, I think you are maybe missing the point.

1) How much is a "real" Fender Deluxe... the Custom Shop Fender Deluxe is $2000. And that is for ONLY ONE AMP.

2) A used Axe-Fx Standard or used Axe-Fs Ultra cost $1500 (there are addition costs but I wouldn't say it cost $2500)

3) AND here is where I think you missed the point.... Let's just say the Axe-Fx with all the goodies does cost $2500.

-I dialed up a realistic souding Tweed and now it is saved as a preset forever.

-I am working on recording my take on the "HOC Backing Track" now I am using a Mesa Boogie Mark IV

-I have 68 other amps that sound darn near real/incredibly close/the same as the real thing!!!

My point is you aren't paying $1500-2200 for ONE AMP, BUT FOR OVER 70 AMPS!!! PLUS ALL THE STOMP BOXES (OVER 30), PLUS OVER 40 CABINETS!!!!

Also there is an Axe-Fx forum where guys have a preset exchange with hundreds is not thousands of preset of amps that they have already dialed in. So the work is mostly done. I just request a great Santana tone and BOOM, some one will share their preset. Then I turn a few knows to chang it to my tastes.

ADD up how much money you have in amps, stomp boxes, speaker cabs. It may be near the figure of $2500 or maybe not. But then consider with the Axe-Fx wil give you 60 times what you currently have.

Bottom line.... I don't think the Axe-FX is for everyone, I am not trying to sell it to anyone. If don't enjoy tweaking a bit or searching for new/different tones, I would not recommend the Axe-FX. I am not going to sell any of my amps either because I love tubes too. But it is not just $2500 for one amp.

I definitely hear you about it's flexibility and long-term savings. Certainly, in the long run, if one is given to succumbing to amp gas, and not ever happy with 1-2 amps, it makes sense, money-wise, to get this. But the big BUT for me: #1) I just don't have the time, and no more patience for technology - I'm gone from my home 12 hrs a day, and have no wife who cooks for me, makes my lunch, or does laundry, I'm lucky I can get in 1 hr. of practice a night. I don't have the time or patience to learn new technology - my experience has been that when I get stuck, it can be for hours and days, I just don't want to waste my time anymore on technology - it's been a big time sink, and as an ol' broad - I just don't have the time for that anymore.

Very cool!.

I downloaded the owners manual and there's a lot to study. In the interest of time, please answer me this: What do AXE-FX users normally output to?

• A PA and monitors
  • Directly to monitors
  • A home stereo system?
  • Their favorite amp (tube or solid state and does it matter?)

I think you have the choice of all of the above.

I think some of the above assumptions/statements may be a bit harsh; John has OBVIOUSLY put in the time to get his chops together, AND found the time to figure out his pro-level modeller and recording set up; why the disdain?! Feel free to use your time as YOU wish, but don't Poo Poo the efforts of others who have figured out how to master both of these areas. I, for one, find it a goal for which to aim. YMMV....

I think some of the above assumptions/statements may be a bit harsh; John has OBVIOUSLY put in the time to get his chops together, AND found the time to figure out his pro-level modeller and recording set up; why the disdain?! Feel free to use your time as YOU wish, but don't Poo Poo the efforts of others who have figured out how to master both of these areas. I, for one, find it a goal for which to aim. YMMV....

I hope you don't think I'm being harsh and disdaining - bravo for John. Just sayin' - it doesn't work for me, is all.

They are good sounding clips. Better than I will ever get with my antiquated(2003?) recording set up.

Im pretty sure anyone here could get good sounds out of an Axefx with a minimum of down time. I havnt heard a bad clip yet.

Archived