Heritage Owners Club

Fender Mustang Series; Anybody Try/Own One?

schundog

It may be because I've had the Axe-Fx for a couple years, but my 3 month old Mustang III simply pales in comparison to the Fender models in the Axe-Fx. To me it's like apples/oranges, the Axe-Fx sounds so real & the Mustang III.....................just doesn't. I suppose because of the way it's priced it would make a decent beginners amp, but honestly that's about the best praise I can give it. :icon_pale:

I have no delusions that this Mustang will go toe-to-toe with an Axe-fx. But for $300, it will be a fun toy to play with for awhile, and probably get moved on down the line in a pawn shop or garage sale in a year or two. Meanwhile, like I said, I plan on enjoying it for what it is. As an aside, many who hear me play would classify me as no more than a decent beginner, so maybe this is the amp for me!

While not exactly buyers remorse, I DO wish I had found a Mustang III instead of a Mustang IV in the pawn shop where I got this. The IV is BIG, HEAVY, and, I'm sure, LOUD! I fired it up to make sure it worked when I bought it, and rattled the windows in the place, haha.

It may be because I've had the Axe-Fx for a couple years, but my 3 month old Mustang III simply pales in comparison to the Fender models in the Axe-Fx. To me it's like apples/oranges, the Axe-Fx sounds so real & the Mustang III.....................just doesn't. I suppose because of the way it's priced it would make a decent beginners amp, but honestly that's about the best praise I can give it. :icon_pale:

seriously?

Thanks for the info. Who would have thunk it. Quite the eye opener. Im blown away. Did not expect that. Whoa. Left field revelation. Surprising. Definitely gobsmacked but not enough to shut up.

;)

seriously?

Thanks for the info. Who would have thunk it. Quite the eye opener. Im blown away. Did not expect that. Whoa. Left field revelation. Surprising. Definitely gobsmacked but not enough to shut up.

;)

Shhhh.. don't tell anyone but you wanna know the difference between a great sounding rig and an ok sounding one? How much you play. The more you play on it... the better it sounds. Weird, eh? :D

Well Shundog, I would gladly trade you a mustang III for a mustang IV (and some cash). Maybe we can work something out after a beer or two at the HOC. I think the IV is a good one as I love 2 -12"" I think it is the lightest 2 12"" you can get with decent sounds (my humble opinion.. I think the IV is the perfect combination. At least lets do a jam or two this year.

Well Shundog, I would gladly trade you a mustang III for a mustang IV (and some cash). Maybe we can work something out after a beer or two at the HOC. I think the IV is a good one as I love 2 -12"" I think it is the lightest 2 12"" you can get with decent sounds (my humble opinion.. I think the IV is the perfect combination. At least lets do a jam or two this year.

PM sent.

• 3 months later...

Update: As of the last post in this thread, PSP V has come and gone, snow has fallen on the Henderson farm, Rhodes Scholar and I DID indeed jam, albeit with acoustics on the bridge, and I sold my Mustang IV shortly before PSP V. I've been jonesin' for a Mustang III since before all of this happened, and there are plenty of used ones available for $200 plus tax/shipping. I got an email about a Veteran's Day sale at MF last weekend, called in instead of trying to order the Mustang III online (as they usually waive them over the phone) and got the brand new $299 amp with a 15 percent discount, no tax, no shipping. EXCELLENT!

I didn't even bother going through the presets that are heavily laden with effects. In fact, the only effects I tried at all were reverb and a little bit of delay on some of the amp models. I prettty much spent an hour and a half just rolling though the 12 amps that are modelled, adjusting the gain/volumes to see how it affected the tone, and tried several through my VSB H-150, H-137, and MIM Jimmie Vaughan Strat. Man, is this thing punchy! Nary a bad sound to be had, unless you get into some of the wierd modulation effects, which I won't . I didn't mess around as much with the "British" models or higher gain American models, focusing more on the Bassman, Twin Reverb, Deluxe Reverb, 57 Deluxe, Princeton Reverb models. I'm not even going to get into the arguement about whether the models are IDENTICAL to their respective real amps, because I'm sure someone would tell me I'm wrong for thinking that they are as close as I think they are; all I know is, I think I'm going to like this amp a LOT. Will it last forever? Five years?! Who knows. But at this price, if I have fun with it for that long, and it then takes a crap, I'd probably be OK with that, and the become even MORE amazed at what's available then. If you are even remotely in the market, go give these things a test drive at your local music shop, push every button to the right of the lit up "amp" button until they turn off, and roll through some of the amps. I'll bet you dig it.

Update: As of the last post in this thread, PSP V has come and gone, snow has fallen on the Henderson farm, Rhodes Scholar and I DID indeed jam, albeit with acoustics on the bridge, and I sold my Mustang IV shortly before PSP V. I've been jonesin' for a Mustang III since before all of this happened, and there are plenty of used ones available for $200 plus tax/shipping. I got an email about a Veteran's Day sale at MF last weekend, called in instead of trying to order the Mustang III online (as they usually waive them over the phone) and got the brand new $299 amp with a 15 percent discount, no tax, no shipping. EXCELLENT!

I didn't even bother going through the presets that are heavily laden with effects. In fact, the only effects I tried at all were reverb and a little bit of delay on some of the amp models. I prettty much spent an hour and a half just rolling though the 12 amps that are modelled, adjusting the gain/volumes to see how it affected the tone, and tried several through my VSB H-150, H-137, and MIM Jimmie Vaughan Strat. Man, is this thing punchy! Nary a bad sound to be had, unless you get into some of the wierd modulation effects, which I won't . I didn't mess around as much with the "British" models or higher gain American models, focusing more on the Bassman, Twin Reverb, Deluxe Reverb, 57 Deluxe, Princeton Reverb models. I'm not even going to get into the arguement about whether the models are IDENTICAL to their respective real amps, because I'm sure someone would tell me I'm wrong for thinking that they are as close as I think they are; all I know is, I think I'm going to like this amp a LOT. Will it last forever? Five years?! Who knows. But at this price, if I have fun with it for that long, and it then takes a crap, I'd probably be OK with that, and the become even MORE amazed at what's available then. If you are even remotely in the market, go give these things a test drive at your local music shop, push every button to the right of the lit up "amp" button until they turn off, and roll through some of the amps. I'll bet you dig it.

Would you have taken a SCXD2 if given the choice considering they turned it into a head cab?

Probably not, Josh, as I already have an original Super Champ XD, and I was wanting a 1X12 combo Mustang, KNOWING it would sound great, as I had the IV (too stinkin' big) and I own the Mustang I, and IT sounds killer with it's little bitty speaker, as you found out at PSP. The III can give good low volume tone, but really gives up the good tone when you crank it. The cleans stay clean at very loud volumes, and the gain sounds sound great, too.

The Mustang III is a pretty magical amp. Just the right combination of stuff there. As Shundog said, the presets are kinda over the top but are very tweakable for your guitar. At 100 watts, it is quite loud, light and managable. Nice score Schundog. I was a fan of the Cyber Series of the fender amps and I think they raised the bar with the Mustang even though it is Chinese made and cheaper.

They recently lowered the price of the floorboard mustang to $199 so for Christmas, it is one of those to partner with my KPB810 amps....

GLad your back in the fold. We'll have to get the Mustang's out for the next PSP and pick a few songs for sure.

I found the "Country Deluxe" setting on the Mustang III to be quite convincing and useable. I'm a bit more willing to accept that this amp could have a place on stage than I was when this thread first started. In fact, I wouldn't mind having one of my own after getting to play with one.

I think a nice finished wood cabinet would be a great option for the guts of my Mustang III.

Would imagine there are a few peoples on the forum that could help you with that! :) A Mustang "Deluxe".

I think a nice finished wood cabinet would be a great option for the guts of my Mustang III.

I know a guy in WI who could create a custom cab for you at a very good price. PM if you'd like his details. PunkKitty has one of his cabs.

Archived