Heritage Owners Club

Safely Transporting Tube Amps

koula901

Hi Katie:

I'd think about a neo-magnet speaker, and/or splitting the combo into a head/speaker, and leaving one speaker at your practice space and another at home (for low volume practice at home, most anything would work), if you absolutely need to carry the amp back and forth. I'm with the majority --no way to cushion the jarring of a traditional speaker mag and amp transformers banging from one stair to the next, and there are just too many things that can go wrong with a tube amp and a speaker if either are banged around. One illustration: Elderly Instruments, one of the retailers I most respect, now absolutely refuses to ship amps or speaker cabs if they are not in factory packing under factory warranty, because they just had too many problems with shipping damage. So, I'd definitely search for another strategy for negotiating the stairs, .. all MHO, of course.

Thanks for your input, Larry. I was considering a dolly with inflatable wheels, 10" diameter, but it doesn't fold up. The thing is, I don't need to transport it but maybe one-2X month, max - its just for open mics/the occasional gig. Maybe I'll just carry it and go r-e-a-l

s-l-o-w.

I buckle any amp in, more for my safety than the amps safety.

When it's raining I can put 1 guitar behind the seat, then amp, pedal board and another guitar go on passenger seat/floorboard next to me. I've had stuff attack me on the way home from gigs on occasion!

To be honest, if I had a great way to pack and haul my gear I would use it but usually it gets thrown in the back of a pickup. The last band had a pretty nice trailer to haul gear in, but I still ended up hauling most of my stuff in the back of a truck.

Rig yourself up a hoist from your balcony.... :icon_thumleft:

I was thinking that too, or find a teenage a boy and throw him acouple bucks to tote it for or, find a single guy and flirt a little, get him to tote it! If you play your cards right you can have him carrying it forever and it won't cost you a thing!

Seriously, the hoist thing is a good idea, and there is bound to be a teenage boy around somewhere you could get to pack the stuff up and down for you.

I was thinking that too, or find a teenage a boy and throw him acouple bucks to tote it for or, find a single guy and flirt a little, get him to tote it! If you play your cards right you can have him carrying it forever and it won't cost you a thing!

Seriously, the hoist thing is a good idea, and there is bound to be a teenage boy around somewhere you could get to pack the stuff up and down for you.

I'd love to rig up a hoist-type thingy. I live in a condo and we're not supposed to alter the outside of the building, so, not sure I could do the hoist thingy. I'm seriously contemplating a dolly with 10" inflatable wheels. I hear my amp guys' son is a drummer, and he uses one of those to drag his drums up to his 3rd floor apt.

I'd love to rig up a hoist-type thingy. I live in a condo and we're not supposed to alter the outside of the building, so, not sure I could do the hoist thingy. I'm seriously contemplating a dolly with 10" inflatable wheels. I hear my amp guys' son is a drummer, and he uses one of those to drag his drums up to his 3rd floor apt.

So no consideration of flirting with a guy to get him to carry your gear? Man, I though I had the solution! I swear it would work.

So no consideration of flirting with a guy to get him to carry your gear? Man, I though I had the solution! I swear it would work.

:angel_mini: HA! No, but it brought a smile to my face!

Archived