Heritage Owners Club

POD XT LIVE

JeffB

Ok... who says you can't get great tone from a modeller?

Beastly playing, Tully! Loved it!

Real shame the discontinued the X3 Live. The POD HD is catching up to in terms of variety, but I am guessing that the HD500 is to be the replacement of the X3 Live. Funny, the X3 Pro and bean are still available along with the HD Pro and bean.

Now, THAT's WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great playing and TONE!!!!

Very very cool, one of my favorite sound clips of all time!!!

Thanks all, I had fun doing it.

Just came back and had another listen after giving myself a few hours away from it.

The sound is sort of all right but has a flatness through it. It was hard work to play compared to doing something similar with a tube screamer an amp and a speaker. There was no give and I felt like I was working quite hard to get things to happen.

I basically tried to get it to sound as close to my fender amp with a tubescreamer type pedal. Its sorta similar but darker and not as warm.

If I played it through my amp the bass notes would have popped out better but instead the sound of the note sort of sinks below the volume of the treble notes.

While I was plaing around trying to get the sound right I noticed the string sounds werent balanced.

The mids were really strong and annoying but I had a hard time dialling the right frequency out.

The gain sat weird across the frequencies sounding alright here and there but to fizzy in the highs and flat and tucked in(what does that even mean?) on the bass. It was hard to get it to sound feel right. Adjust it to get rid of fizz and then the bass notes felt empty.

I added reverb at the final mix to try and smooth out the sound across all frequencies(hoping they would all some how bleed in together) and also put a limiter on the final mix to try and make it all sit together.

I couldnt get it quite right but was hoping by uploading to youtube it would squash it further and it would take care of a few unfixable frequency's. I think that may have worked a little. It does sound better listening to it on youtube than to the original hard disk recording as there is a harsh bitey fizz, unrounded bass and weird honky mid on the hard disk recording that isnt as present on youtube.

Some of the licks in the vid I play reasonably smoothly normally but it was hard work and I flubbed a few in the clip. I have used the POD XT LIVE at gigs straight to the desk or with an amp but Ive never spent time with it to adjust my playing to suit it. It always felt hard and I didnt want to spend time working with it.

At the end of it after a few selfconcious listens back it sounds alright but I think the feel of of the sound threw me a bit and I lost a bit off bounce I would get with a real amp. Also it took a bit of manipulation after the XTLive to get it to sound about right.

Actually, it was all done on a Boss ME50!!! (JK)

WELL, I didn't want to say anything, but since you brought it up....Unfortunately all of your tweaking on the XT Live was in vain. I can clearly see the culprit that was robbing your tone; your neck pickup ring is broken. Anyone who knows anything about tone can tell you that that's a dealbreaker. haha. Nah, it sounded great, man. I'd like to hear you run a POD HD through it's paces.

You know, Tully, I believe I know exactly what you are talking about. All any of us heard was good tone on your video but... I do remember being uncomfortable with how it reacted to me playing when I was playing through it. I suppose that was YEARS of conditioning by tube amps that the younger kids these days just don't have. I am still accustomed to amps reacting a certain way and that is generally tube amps. The only modeller amp I have ever played that just had that old feel I am accustomed to is my Cube.

I just had a swipe at playing/recording this again using an amp and speaker.

One thing that I noticed was it doesnt matter what amp or stomp I used I pretty much tried to get the same sound. Not just because I was trying to get it similar to the original vid but because it seems to be what I naturally try to dial in.

Also noticed I cant play some of those licks if I have to think about them :icon_scratch:

The rough backing track I am playing over is a rough version of Mercury Blues. Its the best song ever written.

Shakespear couldnt have thought up a better mellow drama.

Archived