Heritage Owners Club

Change of Plans

pegleg32

Well, after a lot of thought and research, I've decided not to get a factal Axe Fx.. I still think that is the wave of the future, but it just seemed too overwhelming for someone who can barely operate a basic cell phone. But, as a consolation gift, I ordered a new Two Rock head and cab. I think I will feel much better shortly.

I'm going to put my Carr Rambler and my Red Plate Blues Machine up for sale shorly and will post here first.

I think if I was an in demand studio guitarist who might go from a metal to a country to a blues session, something like that would be great..But, Im just a locally gigging guitarist who plays out 8-10 times a year, who has a couple of great guitars a decent amp and pedalboard..That's good enough for me..Would I like to have an Axe FX? Hell yes!! But I really can't justify the cost..My 2 cents..

Yeah, if I had money and in the market for such a thing, I gotta say the Fractal is just too much bread and function unless I was making money at what I was doing with it... or unless I was just REALLY into that sort of thing.

I'd just rather get the POD HD500 I think. My experience is that the POD HD500 is capable of just as high a quality sound as the Axe-FX (people will disagree.... I would too if I spent that much money) but to me the real difference in the two is funtionality. I simply just don't need all of that. All of what I'd want really is in the POD HD500.

I'd honestly get that and run it through, probably, the Jet City powered cab that is coming. That is me speaking off the top of my head.

Hell, if I could afford it, I would just get a stable of 'the' amps. But... I yeah. I couldn't come up with the scratch to move my Starlite forward and that wouldn't likely cost as much as just the head of the stable of amps. haha.

Well, after a lot of thought and research, I've decided not to get a factal Axe Fx.. I still think that is the wave of the future, but it just seemed too overwhelming for someone who can barely operate a basic cell phone. But, as a consolation gift, I ordered a new Two Rock head and cab. I think I will feel much better shortly.

I'm going to put my Carr Rambler and my Red Plate Blues Machine up for sale shorly and will post here first.

My sentiments exactly. I'm with you on being technologically-challenged. I also love Two Rock and the Carr Rambler - my two top amps on the dream list. Which Two Rock are you getting?

I'm about 4 weeks away from receiving my Two Rock - back ordered - but I will post pics when I get it.

I gotta admit, if I could afford it, I'd be after the H&K Triamp MkII. That amp has always been out of my reach. ..or I just never had the patience to save for it. No... that makes me look bad. I prefer the first one. That makes it someone else's fault. :D

Believe me, I got away from the PODs and all that for a reason. I liked them... but yeah, the options got overwhelming. I'd get one again...sure... but I do like just twiddling a knob that says bass... and it only adjusts bass. haha.

Congrats on your buy! You do know we will need clips right?

My sentiments exactly. I'm with you on being technologically-challenged. I also love Two Rock and the Carr Rambler - my two top amps on the dream list. Which Two Rock are you getting?

You get the Carr and and you two can amp swap every so often. :D

Nice score, Don :) Those amps are pretty pricey over here in the old country, I expect you've pulled all the fluff out of your pockets for this one!

A much cheaper (and lesser) alternative to the Axe-FX for those who have a Windows PC is Guitar Rig 5. For the price of that and a USB interface to get the guitar signal in, I'm a happy bunny :)

Nice score, Don :) Those amps are pretty pricey over here in the old country, I expect you've pulled all the fluff out of your pockets for this one!

A much cheaper (and lesser) alternative to the Axe-FX for those who have a Windows PC is Guitar Rig 5. For the price of that and a USB interface to get the guitar signal in, I'm a happy bunny :)

Have you heard Overloud's TH2? HOLY SMOKES!

I think if I was an in demand studio guitarist who might go from a metal to a country to a blues session, something like that would be great..But, Im just a locally gigging guitarist who plays out 8-10 times a year, who has a couple of great guitars a decent amp and pedalboard..That's good enough for me..Would I like to have an Axe FX? Hell yes!! But I really can't justify the cost..My 2 cents..

Excellent point.... Most of us are not professional touring musicians, studio session artists, or other pros that need such expensive, overwhelming devices. If I can't get the tone I want from a pedal or two into my amp with a couple different choices of guitar, then there is something wrong with me, not the gear. No bit of modeling gear is going to fix that....

Ya know, the only thing I really dig modelers for, other than the intrinsic geek/holy crap this thing does EVERYTHING feeling, is when I've lived in apartments and want to record good sounding stuff with little or no sound. Because that's all I really use my modelers for I can get by with Waves GTR and my Peavey revalver, which by the way, is really awesome. I dig the Peavey software more than my Digidesign Eleven plug in, believe it or not.

I've sure learned a lot about the Fractal during this process and it is an impressive piece of gear, and as Kuz has shown us, you get get pretty much any sound you want. I think my decision was based more on being afraid of not understanding and using the technology correctly then anything else. In other words, my own shortcomings as opposed to any shortcomings in the unit.

hope you dig the TR. had one for a while & dug it & am glad to've had the experience. a couple friends are major TR nutcases & go visit Krinard a couple-three times a year. i've met him twice & enjoyed talking to him.

i take it this is one of the PBGuild ones?

First, congrats to the original poster for the new amp...

I'd just rather get the POD HD500 I think. My experience is that the POD HD500 is capable of just as high a quality sound as the Axe-FX (people will disagree.... I would too if I spent that much money) but to me the real difference in the two is funtionality. I simply just don't need all of that. All of what I'd want really is in the POD HD500.

I have a POD HD300 and I like it better than the HD500 I think.

It is lighter, simpler and the handle on it is balanced.

HD 500's handle just not balanced for the weight.

I also, think that the HD300 has more knobs rather than a bigger screen and more presets.

I also do not need FX loop pn HD 500.

I also have a pedaltrain mini with 5 pedals on it to use with my Evans J200s.

Maxon OD-9 -> Boss OC-3 -> Rogue tremolo -> Maxon AD-9 -> MXR Carbon copy.

When I cannot carry an amp I bring HD300.

Two rock looks nice BTW :)

hope you dig the TR. had one for a while & dug it & am glad to've had the experience. a couple friends are major TR nutcases & go visit Krinard a couple-three times a year. i've met him twice & enjoyed talking to him.

i take it this is one of the PBGuild ones?

Hey Jeff, yes I'm sure it is as it will be fresh from the factory. Hope the quality is still there.

I've sure learned a lot about the Fractal during this process and it is an impressive piece of gear, and as Kuz has shown us, you get get pretty much any sound you want. I think my decision was based more on being afraid of not understanding and using the technology correctly then anything else. In other words, my own shortcomings as opposed to any shortcomings in the unit.

That is a fear, but an unwarrented one for most. If you can opperate a digital camera, a cell phone, or even a computer you can do everything you want on the Axe-Fx.

I have really taken the opposite approach to you (and I am not saying you are making a wrong decision. Damn, would I LOVE to have a Two Rock).... But here are my thoughts...

1) I play most live at church and pretty regularly (at least 3-4 times per month). All I need at church is my Rambler or Headstrong and my pedal board. Volume is a non-issue, meaning 10watts might as well be 1000watts. I can get most sounds I need from this rig and it is small. We are palying contempory Christian songs, but it is not like they have to be exactly the same tone as the originals.

2) Since I am not playing that many secular gigs, I don't need big amps or more than 1 amp for that matter. SO why should I pay $2K, $3K, or $4K for a new amp if I am not in the need of volume or a large head + 4x12 cab.

3) WHERE I DO need versitility is in recording. I want a Matchless. I want a Plexi. I want a Mesa Boogie. I want a Solodono. I want a 5150. I want a Train Wreck. I want a Tweed. I want a brown face Fender. I want a Vox. I want a Twin. I want a Deluxe...... ect......ect.... I NEED these tones to record because I want to record blues, Jazz, Fusion, Rock, ect.....

If most of my time I am recording, I want the BEST TONES possible for MY NEEDS.... in my home recording studio. SO THIS IS WHERE I WILL SPEND THE MOST MONEY TO GET THOSE TONES. For me, CURRENTLY it is the Axe-Fx (nothing else comes close). But in the future I am OPEN MINDED enough to look at the Kemper modler or whatever else comes out.

SO to me I would be WASTING MY MONEY spending it on a great new amp that I will probably never have a chance to play to it full potential.

Just my .02, your opinions are important and I respect them.

Yes, I agree with your approach Kuz, that is the best way to use it. More a matter of me being personally unsure, and afraid to take the plunge. The Two Rock is an unknown quantity also, but I am expecting it will fill my needs at least for the present. Next year, who knows.

Yes, I agree with your approach Kuz, that is the best way to use it. More a matter of me being personally unsure, and afraid to take the plunge. The Two Rock is an unknown quantity also, but I am expecting it will fill my needs at least for the present. Next year, who knows.

Heck ya it is going to fit your needs. It going to freakin' ROCK. Ever since I first heard John Meyers' huge Strat tone I was a big Two Rock guy. I just can't justify the cost.

Archived