http://www.carramps.com/rambler.html

28w/14w, 6L6, 40 lb., $2,530

Clark Beaufort Reverb (Mike Clark)

http://www.clarkampl...fortreverb.html

20w, 6V6, DR Clone, 10 year warranty, $2,900

Tone King Imperial (Mark Bartel)

20w, 6V6, two-channel, 30 lb., $1,995

http://www.toneking....rial/index.html

All of these provide excellent BF clean tones and some a bit more. All are made by companies who have established records of quality as well as track records of making amps for some time now

Good Luck,

Bob

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yavuz,

In listening to your clips, you express a lot of tonal nuances in your playing. You are a skilled player, you play through a wonderful instrument, the other half of that instrument must be capable of providing a sound that is wonderful as well.

Thanks for your kind remarks...

I

It's heavier and more power than what you are seeking, but it sounds beyond wonderful at small room volumes as well as easily filling out larger rooms.

This part is important since I can not cary heavy amps any more.

I use solid state Evans Amps ( JE200 and AH200 ) because of their weight and tone.

The amp you suggested is a lot heavier than I can cary.

I do not want to go beyond 40lbs in weight.

Thanks...

Yavuz,

Here are 5 lower powered combo amps to consider:

Allen Accomplice (David Allen)

http://www.allenamps.../accomplice.php

22w/35w, 6V6 or 6L6, 42 lb, $1,800

Carr Rambler (Steve Carr)

http://www.carramps.com/rambler.html

28w/14w, 6L6, 40 lb., $2,530

Clark Beaufort Reverb (Mike Clark)

http://www.clarkampl...fortreverb.html

20w, 6V6, DR Clone, 10 year warranty, $2,900

Tone King Imperial (Mark Bartel)

20w, 6V6, two-channel, 30 lb., $1,995

http://www.toneking....rial/index.html

Thanks...

Checked out all of the suggestions.

So far, ( after listening to all of the clips ) I think I definitely want the Carr Rambler as a modern remake of a Deluxe Reverb ( with a few extras ).

I am just undecided about a Princeton.

Headstrong is lighter but Carr Sportsman is more powerful.

BTW, KBP amps are still on the table but I can fly to Germany and get the 2 amps I want so it just looks easier.

Carr has dealers in Germany.

Yavuz,

The Carr Rambler is 6L6 based amp that is based on Steve Carr's "take" on the Fender AB763 circuit used in the original Deluxe Reverb in the 1960s. I actually think it has better Fender BF clean tones than a Deluxe Reverb, The combination of the 6L6(vs. 6V6s) provide better bass, larger power and output transformers and 3 knob EQ together make a better sounding amp. It is however not an amp that excels at overdrive, BUT it works with pedals extremely well if you need that. Most people who have played one, loves them.

Good Luck,

Bob

Thanks...

Checked out all of the suggestions.

So far, ( after listening to all of the clips ) I think I definitely want the Carr Rambler as a modern remake of a Deluxe Reverb ( with a few extras ).

I am just undecided about a Princeton.

Headstrong is lighter but Carr Sportsman is more powerful.

BTW, KBP amps are still on the table but I can fly to Germany and get the 2 amps I want so it just looks easier.

Carr has dealers in Germany.

The Carr Rambler is 6L6 based amp that is based on Steve Carr's "take" on the Fender AB763 circuit used in the original Deluxe Reverb in the 1960s. I actually think it has better Fender BF clean tones than a Deluxe Reverb, The combination of the 6L6(vs. 6V6s) provide better bass, larger power and output transformers and 3 knob EQ together make a better sounding amp. It is however not an amp that excels at overdrive, BUT it works with pedals extremely well if you need that. Most people who have played one, loves them.

You are describing and amp that I actually might like.

I have 3 different pedals that I use for drive.

They are Maxon OD9 , a vintage RAT and an OKKO Diablo

I all like them with very minimal drive.

I use RAT with Drive @9 O'clock, Filter @3 O'clock and Volume 'round 12.

I use Maxon with Drive @9 O'clock, Tone @11 O'clock and Volume 'round 12.

Okko is a completely different pedal but I also use it with very minimal drive.

It sounds similar to the maxon but without cutting out the bass as much.

All of these drive sounds are completely OK with a vintage Fender BF sound I think.

What do you think?

Yavuz,

I have lots of experience with tubescreamers and BF amps. Your OD-9 will meld beautifully with a Carr Rambler. The mid-range boost of the OD-9 works perfectly with the somewhat scooped mid-range of the BF circuit. I have used a TS-808, OD-9 and OD-820 with my Allen which is similar with great success. I have no experience with a Proco Rat or a OKKO Diablo which I believe is a JFET based drive. Perhaps others can chime in.

Bob

You are describing and amp that I actually might like.

I have 3 different pedals that I use for drive.

They are Maxon OD9 , a vintage RAT and an OKKO Diablo

I all like them with very minimal drive.

I use RAT with Drive @9 O'clock, Filter @3 O'clock and Volume 'round 12.

I use Maxon with Drive @9 O'clock, Tone @11 O'clock and Volume 'round 12.

Okko is a completely different pedal but I also use it with very minimal drive.

It sounds similar to the maxon but without cutting out the bass as much.

All of these drive sounds are completely OK with a vintage Fender BF sound I think.

What do you think?

As a Carr Rambler owner....... +10000000 everything Bob has said.

I used it yesterday.

The nice thing that RARELY gets mentioned is the Triode/Pentode switch, which makes the Carr Rambler like two completely different amps.

-With the lower watt Triode setting (13 watts I believe) you get a beefier, thicker, darker tone.... more like a Tweed amp.

-With the higher watt Pentode setting (28 watts) you get the Blackface shimmer, sparkle, and funky tone.

I love both tones and will switch them between songs if that tone is dictated. You do have to put the amp on stand-by and then flip the triode/pentode switch then hit turn the stand-by off.

As a Carr Rambler owner....... +10000000 everything Bob has said.

I used it yesterday.

The nice thing that RARELY gets mentioned is the Triode/Pentode switch, which makes the Carr Rambler like two completely different amps.

-With the lower watt Triode setting (13 watts I believe) you get a beefier, thicker, darker tone.... more like a Tweed amp.

-With the higher watt Pentode setting (28 watts) you get the Blackface shimmer, sparkle, and funky tone.

I love both tones and will switch them between songs if that tone is dictated. You do have to put the amp on stand-by and then flip the triode/pentode switch then hit turn the stand-by off.

That's interesting. I wonder if such a switch could be inserted into a traditional AB763 circuit...like for instance, a KBP 810 Reverb Deluxe?

I have owned both a Mesa 5:50 and a Deluxe Reverb Reissue.

DRRI was nice, but had a real brittle top end in my opinion. The Mesa had a great clean tone and lots of tonal variation. I didn't like the overdrive section though. Overall, the Mesa, at least for me, lacked something special. It felt and sounded sterile overall.

I'd almost chose the DRRI over the Mesa, even though I suspect the Mesa has higher quality components etc...I'm not sure, maybe the DRRI is just as well made.

If your main thing is jazz I can imagine running into brightness issues with the DRRI, but that can be adjusted with mods FWIW

Oh, and the Mesa was WAY heavier than the DRRI, so it was a pain to carry around.

Should of bought a real DR... could of bought a KBP Reverb Deluxe.... Hand wired, point to point, made in Michigan by our resident HOC amp builder, KBP810.... and at a fraction of the cost if you would of bought it from boutique builder anywhere else.

• 1 year later...

Look for a used Headstrong Lil' King (exact '64 Princeton Rverb clone) or a used Carr Rambler. BOTH sound incredible clean. Both are hand point to point wiring. Both LOVE pedals.

INHO, the above two would smoke any Deluxe RI, use better quality parts, and hold their re-sale value better.

Hey Kuz :)

I have one Headstrong Lil King S on order.

I spoke to Wayne on the phone and a friend of mine from NYC will bring it over in May...

Thanks for mentioning it.

It will be my first tube amp since 1996 when I sold my BF Twin :)

I will post pics here when I receive it.

This was the place I learned about it.

BTW, here is what it will look like?

post-5486-0-35956000-1396055730_thumb.png

Congrats and enjoy. I have 4 vintage combo Fender amps and the Headstrong Lil' King is still in the camp. I love the blackface Princeton tones that the Headstrong Lil' King produces!!!

So it's a special export version of the amp then ?

I don't know exactly since the amp is here but He regularly ships to EU and has dealers in Europe.

So basically he has two main production line. 110V and 220V models.

Like all Fenders do.

Congrats and enjoy. I have 4 vintage combo Fender amps and the Headstrong Lil' King is still in the camp. I love the blackface Princeton tones that the Headstrong Lil' King produces!!!

Thanks... I first heard about Headstrong from you :)

If you are using pedals, the the Deluxe Reverb is the way to go. If you plan on using Mesa's overdriven tones, go that route. Two different animals really. Mesa and Marshall have a clean tone, but its not Fender sparkle clean... Just a whole different tone to it... If you are looking for a used one, why not check with KBP to see how much to produce and ship one to you? Seriously, much better than DRRI's and much cheaper than finding a vintage one....

I agree with all that, but Mesa's cleans are really great, maybe not Fender exactly but I love them, and I've never heard a Mesa that didn't sound pretty great, most of them are overkill for most gigging guys though.

Weight is very important.

I was also suggested to look into Carr Amps but they are heavy for me.

The lightest boutique tube amp was Lil King S.

I am even thinking the newest Headstrong Santa Cruz as the next possibility after this.

http://headstrongamps.com/Santa_Cruz_5.html

Anything around 25lbs is manageable weight for me.

This guy makes cabs from graphite.

http://www.flitecabs.com/guitar/

I wish some tube amp makers jumped on the idea.

Archived