Heritage Owners Club

trying to choose a tube amp

yavuz

I have 3 Evans Amps at home and I really like them for their weight.

However, I really miss those tubes sometimes.

I am trying to decide between Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue, Mesa Boogie 5:25, Mesa Boogie 5:50

It will be my only tube amp and I will probably not carry it around to the gigs unless I can afford a roady service.

Recently, I get more roady than before but that is besides the point.

I would really like the a Deluxe Reverb from 60s but it is hard to find a clean one here in Turkey.

If I get a reissue than I will probably upgrade most of the components from amp kit resellers.

Better caps, etc.. I might even change it to point to point wiring if there is any difference in sound.

If I get a boogie, I will probably not touch it.

I can not decide between a 5:25 and a 5:50 express.

I really like the EL84 tubes but I like the extra head room ( 6L6 ) of a 5:50.

What are your experiences?

What do you guys think would be better for the style of the music I am doing?

Thanks...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are using pedals, the the Deluxe Reverb is the way to go. If you plan on using Mesa's overdriven tones, go that route. Two different animals really. Mesa and Marshall have a clean tone, but its not Fender sparkle clean... Just a whole different tone to it... If you are looking for a used one, why not check with KBP to see how much to produce and ship one to you? Seriously, much better than DRRI's and much cheaper than finding a vintage one....

I can't say much about the amp question. But, man your web page, recordings and video are all really wonderful. Thanks for sharing.... Simply WOW! Hey, folks be sure to give it a listen - you'll be glad you did.

I'll second comments made above. The Deluxe Reverb is going to have a lot of headroom which is normally what Jazz & Blues musicians want. You can always put a pedal in front to get overdriven and distorted tones.

Regardless, see if there are any amp builders in your area. A point to point handwired clone is going to sound better and be more easily supported if you should ever need to get it fixed. Myself, I'd hesitate to have an amp shipped that far. I get nervous about sending one regionally, let alone hoping for one to make an intercontinental trip.

Heck, if you're handy, invest in a good solder station, buy a kit, and build one yourself.

I don't know if I would put the money out for a vintage '60s Deluxe since there are so many "vintage" correct remakes these days with point to point wiring that should get to the same place without having to have the whole amp rebuilt.

Can you get amps like Allen, Headstrong or Ceriatone? KBP810 builds DR style amps, not sure if it would be practical to ship one to Istanbul. Plus there's always the issue of having the right voltage and plugs.

Having never really played a Mesa, I can't comment on that part.

For your "enjoyment", there's a web page about the lengths that some people go to get a DRRI rebuilt. This fellow works at one of my customer's plants.

http://deluxereverb.waynereno.com/

Another vote here for the Deluxe Reverb

As far as me buliding one for you... I'd certainly be willing to check into a shipping quote, and the proper primary voltage power transformer is very likely readily available (the plug I might have to dig a bit deeper for though, not sure, never seeked one out before)... but there could be other factors that come into play as well. Sending parts through customs is one thing, sending a completed amp could be a bit fussy - and then not sure if ROHS compliance might come into play (not all parts here in the US are marked for ROHS).

Not sure what other builders may be more localized to you, but I'd say Ceriatone (Malaysia) is worth checking with if nothing else.

I like Mesa. I use a TA15 on stage. And have an original Lone Star that lives with me at home. But the 5:25 and the 5:50 never did it for me. Could never get a sound I thought I could live with from one of them. But then, I think most DRRI's are too shrill. Lot of highs that need taming. But of the three, the DR or DRRI would be my preference, since you're asking.

Thanks for all of the advices.

Yes, Deluxe Reverb sounds nice to me too.

I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with a Mesa 5:50.

KBP, I would love to have one built by you If I still had lived in NY.

However, now that I'm in Istanbul, I have to think about customs.

I might have a friend bring an amp to me but then again, an amp in a box checked-in as luggage worries me.

Shipping and custom taxes would make the amp too expensive for me.

I still would want to get a quote from you or your site if you can point me to the right direction.

I have a builder who can build this amp for me but then again, I would have to bring the speaker, amp cab, chassis etc...

Decisions, decisions...

I can't say much about the amp question. But, man your web page, recordings and video are all really wonderful. Thanks for sharing.... Simply WOW! Hey, folks be sure to give it a listen - you'll be glad you did.

Thanks for your kind remarks...

Look for a used Headstrong Lil' King (exact '64 Princeton Rverb clone) or a used Carr Rambler. BOTH sound incredible clean. Both are hand point to point wiring. Both LOVE pedals.

INHO, the above two would smoke any Deluxe RI, use better quality parts, and hold their re-sale value better.

Look for a used Headstrong Lil' King (exact '64 Princeton Rverb clone) or a used Carr Rambler. BOTH sound incredible clean. Both are hand point to point wiring. Both LOVE pedals.

INHO, the above two would smoke any Deluxe RI, use better quality parts, and hold their re-sale value better.

Headstrong L'il King is how many watts?

Do they have a 12" speaker version?

Thanks...

Headstrong L'il King is how many watts?

Do they have a 12" speaker version?

Thanks...

Headstrong Lil' King has same watts as a Princeton so 12-14 watts I believe. And yes they make a 12" speaker version, that is what I have.

My Headstrong Lil' King is my main gig amp, next is the Carr Rambler.

Yavuz, I check out your vids, every time you post. Admire your playing and the fact that you just put it out there. Fine stuff! I was going to second the Deluxe re-issue idea, and, as you'd noted, upgrades of tubes, caps, speaker, et. al. But then John (Kuz) chimed in with a suggestion of some really quality amps. Both are excellent suggestions, if they are at all possible for you. Portable, high quality builds which have great headroom (obviously important to what you're doing) and gorgeous tone. I don't own, but I've played both, and John has a finely attenuated ear for "the good stuff"! His are great suggestions. Both Carr and Headstrong amps are built not far from me. If you'll cover my roundtrip airfare, and a week in Istanbul, I'll pick one of each up for you, and deliver them personally....

I would second the idea of having KBP810 build you one..I,m still in amazement at the quality and tone of my "Cavern Club 30" Just a kickass point to point Ac-30 clone for less than grand? I mean C'mon!! :icon_smile:

Both Carr and Headstrong amps are built not far from me. If you'll cover my roundtrip airfare, and a week in Istanbul, I'll pick one of each up for you, and deliver them personally....

Who knows, I might take you up ın that offer :)

Try out the egnater Tweaker amps. you might be pleasantly suprised. the also come in a ton of varieties

tweaker 15 (watt) combo or head/cab (1 or 2 x 12inches)

Tweaker 40 (watt) two channels, combo or head/cab again

Tweaker 88 (watt) two diverently voiced channels, head/cab only

They are especially good if you dabble in a variety of sounds, since they do a really good voicing of Marshall, Vox, and Fender amps...

...Both Carr and Headstrong amps are built not far from me. If you'll cover my roundtrip airfare, and a week in Istanbul, I'll pick one of each up for you, and deliver them personally....

Damn... why didn't I think of that?? :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have checked out Carr Rambler and Headstrong amps.

One question.

How does the new Carr Sportsman compare to the Headstrong L'il King.

Completely different.

The Sportsman is based off a Vox AC30 with EL84s.

The Lil' King is based off a Blackface Princeton Reverb.

Headstrong has a number of sound clips on their web site.

Willcutt guitars has a sound clip of the Carr Sportsman in the Carr Amp section of their website.

Hope it helps.

Yavuz,

In listening to your clips, you express a lot of tonal nuances in your playing. You are a skilled player, you play through a wonderful instrument, the other half of that instrument must be capable of providing a sound that is wonderful as well. I strongly recommend a Ceriatone 50W HRM head so that you can put it through a variety of cabs as well as avoid problems with microphonic tubes, as well as increased tube life. The jazz voicing switch sounds amazing for jazz guitar and has a huge amount more on the platter besides the dynamic voice of a great jazz tone. There is a second, amazing, higher gain channel as well as a pre amp signal boost, both on a footswitch. You can read about this sort of legendary Dumble designed amp architecture in the manual which is available online. There is an active, very devoted online community devoted to Dumble type amps, they sound that good. It's heavier and more power than what you are seeking, but it sounds beyond wonderful at small room volumes as well as easily filling out larger rooms. It's built to last in true boutique style by a builder that delivers excellent communication and customer service besides wonderful sounding amps. He does a Princeton style build as well...

Also, check out the Accomplice, Old Flame, and Sweet Spot from Allen Amplification for boutique combos. Of course, a KBP build is in the short list...

Boutique amps for boutique guitars!

I have owned both a Mesa 5:50 and a Deluxe Reverb Reissue.

DRRI was nice, but had a real brittle top end in my opinion. The Mesa had a great clean tone and lots of tonal variation. I didn't like the overdrive section though. Overall, the Mesa, at least for me, lacked something special. It felt and sounded sterile overall.

I'd almost chose the DRRI over the Mesa, even though I suspect the Mesa has higher quality components etc...I'm not sure, maybe the DRRI is just as well made.

If your main thing is jazz I can imagine running into brightness issues with the DRRI, but that can be adjusted with mods FWIW

Oh, and the Mesa was WAY heavier than the DRRI, so it was a pain to carry around.

If you can find one check out the Fryette Memphis 30. This is just a killer amp that seems to fly under the radar. 30 watts, el84s, two channels with 3 voice setting each, touch sensitive (you could play an entire gig on on the clean channel alone), killer od channel (rivals anything Mesa has put out - really), reverb, effects loop, built like a tank. I think a lot of people dismiss this amp as Fryette is normally associated with metal amps but those who own one know - great amp!

If you can find one check out the Fryette Memphis 30. This is just a killer amp that seems to fly under the radar. 30 watts, el84s, two channels with 3 voice setting each, touch sensitive (you could play an entire gig on on the clean channel alone), killer od channel (rivals anything Mesa has put out - really), reverb, effects loop, built like a tank. I think a lot of people dismiss this amp as Fryette is normally associated with metal amps but those who own one know - great amp!

i see one in the Istanbul Guitar Center - well worth an audition

:)

Archived