Heritage Owners Club

Parsons St. & trains...

chico

As a guitar player, Heritage guitar owner/lover, and rail buff (we're called railfans thesedays), I thought I'd share these pics from my collection and the little story that goes with them to you all here--

First, some background.  These photos were taken in 1997.  I was at the Heritage plant to see Jim D. (a cousin) and was with my guitar buddy/mentor Mr. Mark Zaputil of Davenport, IA. (Zap LTD).  We've both been to the plant a few times to see Jim over the years.  Yes, I am a longtime Heritage fan and relative to boot.  Jim knows that. 

Mark is also a railfan.  That interest is how we met, not guitars.  That common interest was discovered later.  Anyway, Mark and I were on our way to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland when we made a stop in the 'zoo where I still have family.  I was born less than a mile from this spot, at Bronson.  At the time of the photos, I lived in Grand Rapids and Mark & I were hooking up for the run into Cleveland.

Lo and behold, that day the Ringling Bros. Circus train (they have 2 sets) was running north to Grand Rapids, through Kalamazoo, dispatched from the RR's yard in Elkhart, IN. (55 miles in the sign) for shows that were coming up in GR.  I grabbed my camera out of Mark's white Saturn (you see it parked over on the left).  I got what we call "grab shots" of the train passing.  Had I known it was coming, I may have set up for the shots, ie composed different photos, but I'm glad today I got what I did.

As railfan photogs, we shoot choo choo photos for historical/archival purposes, using (then) kodachrome film, the gold standard for color achival film.  Why?  Because the RR environment was a gradual evolver, take a pic of that train or tower or depot today because tomorrow it may be gone.  I have only mental images of the trains I saw as a kid, if only I had taken the pics.  And when I see the photos taken from that era of RRs by those who did (and there are those that did), I get all excited... But I digress.

As to the Parsons street location and it's connection to the RR, this was one time the property of the mighty Pennsylvania RR.  The 40' boxcars would be delivered and shoved into sidings that have long been pulled up, delivering, say, Maine Central boxcars full of exotic spruces for G*.  I asked Jim D. where they used to bring in the cars, he said G had a siding on the opposite side of the plant you see in these pics.  Over on the side with the 55 Milemarker, south side of Parsons.  That was in the day when railroads handled what is known as "loose car" railroading, actually bringing the boxcars to the siding at your factory.  Today, RRs only want what is known as "unit" trains so don't bother calling asking for service to your factory unless you have 10,000 carloads a year or more...

At least the trains still go by here and they still make guitars at Parsons St., even though G moved away and the Pennsy went under with New York Central after their ill fated merger in the 60s, that spawned Conrail which owned these tracks at the time I made these photos.  Conrail was carved up by NS and CSX a year later.  But Heritage still lives, doin it right there in the basement of the building in the photos.  And so it goes..

Hope you enjoyed the story/photos.

RBBBcircustrainKzooMI101597hr.jpg

RBBBcircustrainKzooMI101597hr.jpg_thumb

RBBBcircustrainKzooMI101597bhr.jpg

RBBBcircustrainKzooMI101597bhr.jpg_thumb

RBBBcircustrainKzooMI101597chr.jpg

RBBBcircustrainKzooMI101597chr.jpg_thumb

Very, very cool digression, chico!  I love that sort of tangent.  Most of my best guitar pals have something else unrelated they're equally passionate about (planes, vintage motorcycles, furniture making, dogs, bicycle racing), which makes talking with them much more interesting.  Thanks for the historical contribution and the photos.  Karma up +1.

Thanks for sharing the pictures Chico.  As a child my family and I I used to ride the train every Summer from Des Moines to Chicago where my Grandparents would pick us up and drive us to their home on a lake near Union City MI for our vacation.  The railroads were still very grand in those days with dining cars that would rival the very finest restaurants.  It's a shame that they were allowed to decay as they have.  With the fuel situation we could sure use them again. 

Thanks Chico, great pics. You are so right, picture what you have today because it will be gone tomorrow.

I live near Darlington, England. The Stockton to Darlington Railway was the first in the world and the North East of England is the cradle of the railways.

I also own 4 Heritages (535, 575, 157 and H5 mandolin) and 5 Kalamazoo Gibsons, ES330, LP Firebrand, J45/50, LG12 and an A40 mandolin. One day I hope to visit the Parson St. Factory. Until then your pictures give me a flavour of what I shall see. Many thanks. pjoshh   

Thanks Chico, great pics. You are so right, picture what you have today because it will be gone tomorrow.

I live near Darlington, England. The Stockton to Darlington Railway was the first in the world and the North East of England is the cradle of the railways.

I also own 4 Heritages (535, 575, 157 and H5 mandolin) and 5 Kalamazoo Gibsons, ES330, LP Firebrand, J45/50, LG12 and an A40 mandolin. One day I hope to visit the Parson St. Factory. Until then your pictures give me a flavour of what I shall see. Many thanks. pjoshh   

Welcome to the HOC, pjoshh!  Nice pile of sticks you have there!  I also have a thirty-five-year-old J45/50...what a wonderful box!  Regarding pics of Parsons Street, hold on for a couple of weeks.  I think once we've all done the Pilgrimage, this site is going to be absolutely littered  with photos of the place and everyone in it!

WELCOME DUDE

LETS SEE SOME PICS!!!!

Archived