Heritage Owners Club

"D" shape and "C" shaped necks. Definitions please.

AFAIK, the D-shaped necks are a tad thicker, and have a "shoulder" to them. whereas the C-shaped necks are just rounded.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Or, if they can explain it better, please feel free to do so!

Thanks, still trying to get my head around this but the Warmouth page was a big help.  It might be a good question for Ren.

Check out these pages ... they give some idea, but I'm sure different manufacturers have their own interpretations of "C", "D", "U" and "V" profiles.

http://www.21frets.com/neck_profiles.html   ... these relate to Fender necks

Necks_small.jpg

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks....n=back_profiles

that was very helpful...karma up!!!!

Thanks, still trying to get my head around this but the Warmouth page was a big help.  It might be a good question for Ren.

that was very helpful...karma up!!!!

I'm as baffled by neck profiles as the next guy.

I have two recently acquired G&L ASATs, one a '97 ASAT III with three MFD single coils and the other a new '07 ASAT Classic Bluesboy semi hollow with a neck Seth Lover and bridge MFD.

The necks on the two of these are like the difference between day and night, the III has a very slim shape, I'm guessing a C shape.

The neck on the Bluesboy is seriously chunky, I mean BIG, something like a U shape.

Normally I can go between two different guitars and get accustomed to the neck in a very short space of time but when swapping between these two the difference is amazing and takes some getting used to.

I have several Strats ( classic GAS victim understatement, I have six  :rolleyes: )

The '70s Strat is like a "squashed" C shape, great for rhythm but a bit awkward for lead.

The '90s American Standards and 60th Anniversary are very comfortable and easy to play, I'd guess a C shape on all of these.

The '00s American Deluxes are different again, I'd say somewhere between a C and a D shape.

I have an Ernie Ball Silhouette and the neck on that is just amazing, feels really strange at first but quickly becomes very easy to play.

The Heritages are all different to each other, the 535 is most likely a U shape, 575 a C shape and the Millennium is in between both of those.

I know a lot of guys are particular about what neck shape they prefer, myself not so much.

To tell the truth if I had to custom order a Heritage tomorrow I would not know what profile to order, I really like the neck on my 535, the Bluesboy feels great and the Ernie Ball very fast and slick, I guess I'd just request them to make it they way they usually do !

Archived