Heritage Owners Club

Dr. Z Route 66.... why the hell didn't anybody tell me about these?

I didn't think to tell you as I assumed you'd be back into completing the Starlite instead of buying another amp... B)

If I hadn't come across this amp, that is exactly what I'd be doing. Know vs unknown quantity. That is still on my list though. :)

It is actually very high on my list. The Route 66 as wonderful as it sounds, has its drawbacks. Negligible, but they are there. For instance, I like that it has only 3 knobs. Painful simplicity. I really wish it had an effects loop. The other drawback is that the Route 66 is double what a head version of the Starlite would cost. Maybe more than double since I'd probably opt to have the reverb not in there (it originally was to be in there.).

The Orange Tiny Terror doesn't have a lot of knobs, but almost every guitar I plug into it sounds great...

In other news, I'm working on a deal to acquire another KBP amp...

OH yeah? What kind?

I did like the Tiny Terror. A bit too gainy for me though (I will admit to not spending enough time with one to really get a feel for it). That is ALMOST a knock against the Rt 66. So long as you keep the tone knobs below 12 o clock, it doesn't gain up too much for me. I dig that.

If I were to order the Starlite today, it would have the mids knob gone, a RT 66 ish tone stack, reverb gone and an effects loop.

Is your up and coming KBP a secret?

OH yeah? What kind?

I did like the Tiny Terror. A bit too gainy for me though (I will admit to not spending enough time with one to really get a feel for it). That is ALMOST a knock against the Rt 66. So long as you keep the tone knobs below 12 o clock, it doesn't gain up too much for me. I dig that.

If I were to order the Starlite today, it would have the mids knob gone, a RT 66 ish tone stack, reverb gone and an effects loop.

Is your up and coming KBP a secret?

You're a jazz/rockabilly type aren't you? That would put a TT off your list... My up and coming KBP amp is a common model. But its a unique model... His first Reverb Deluxe he ever made... Its one of the rare amps that he made the cabinet for. Can't buy it until someone buys my Peavey...

You're a jazz/rockabilly type aren't you? That would put a TT off your list... My up and coming KBP amp is a common model. But its a unique model... His first Reverb Deluxe he ever made... Its one of the rare amps that he made the cabinet for. Can't buy it until someone buys my Peavey...

Yeah. Definitely that mid 40's to early 60's guitar thing. Rev Dlx are sweet! Love the 50's Dlx's!

The tone I dig tends to come from very, very simple amps with little to nothing in the way of knobs. I don't mind a little bite and kick, but prefer a mostly clean tone.

Dig on the KT66 and 6L6 based amps. However, I also really dig EF86 pre tubes. :)

Love that power tube bite!

Yeah. Definitely that mid 40's to early 60's guitar thing. Rev Dlx are sweet! Love the 50's Dlx's!

The tone I dig tends to come from very, very simple amps with little to nothing in the way of knobs. I don't mind a little bite and kick, but prefer a mostly clean tone.

Dig on the KT66 and 6L6 based amps. However, I also really dig EF86 pre tubes. :)

Love that power tube bite!

If you like KT66, you should of played his first original designed KT88 amp head. Two 12AX7 preamp channels, and a single KT88 for the power section 4/8/16 ohm outputs too. Really, really sweet amp.

If you like KT66' date=' you should of played his first original designed KT88 amp head. Two 12AX7 preamp channels, and a single KT88 for the power section 4/8/16 ohm outputs too. Really, really sweet amp.[/quote']

I came back later and tried to buy that from him but it had been damaged in shipping.

That one would have been WAY too gainy for me though I am thinking. I say that without any experience with it.

Who knows, if the Starlite project gets revisited, then it may have a pair of KT66\'s or a single KT88. Concerned that the KT88 might be too thick through the Z-Best cab. I dunno though. That is one of those trial and error things I guess. haha.

Love to have that Single Ended response though!

I came back later and tried to buy that from him but it had been damaged in shipping.

That one would have been WAY too gainy for me though I am thinking. I say that without any experience with it.

Who knows, if the Starlite project gets revisited, then it may have a pair of KT66\'s or a single KT88. Concerned that the KT88 might be too thick through the Z-Best cab. I dunno though. That is one of those trial and error things I guess. haha.

Love to have that Single Ended response though!

Actually, the gain wasn't much. The first channel had a higher breakup (think it was 12AY7). The 2nd preamp was to give you the gain. Almost acts like a second channel. I was trying to have that added as a foot switchable option during the design...

Actually, the gain wasn't much. The first channel had a higher breakup (think it was 12AY7). The 2nd preamp was to give you the gain. Almost acts like a second channel. I was trying to have that added as a foot switchable option during the design...

I'd have to talk to him about it. :) But... when I have money.. which isn't now.. so.. yeeeeeeeeeeeah. haha.

You could always sell a 2x12 cab....

Already am. That\'s how I can afford the Dr. Z. ;)

Got no other piece of gear to sell. Well, there is the Cube and that is NEVER going up for sale. I almost made that mistake. The Z-Best is going to be another keeper I think. With the Cube, it sounds just incredible.

HA! didn't read any of the posts, just the title of the thread, and all I have to say is....GOOD POINT DUDE! They are great amps. I've actually got to play one a year ago and I was blown away!!!

HA! didn't read any of the posts, just the title of the thread, and all I have to say is....GOOD POINT DUDE! They are great amps. I've actually got to play one a year ago and I was blown away!!!

Incredible tone indeed. No idea if I will get to where I can shell out the cash for one. Even used the price is no joke. I see them go for $1100-$1200 generally. It is a tone right up my alley. But then... so is the Fender Pro amp from the very early 50's. Love to see an updated version of that with high end componentry! Just a volume and a tone knob. The rest is up to you. :)

Incredible tone indeed. No idea if I will get to where I can shell out the cash for one. Even used the price is no joke. I see them go for $1100-$1200 generally. It is a tone right up my alley. But then... so is the Fender Pro amp from the very early 50's. Love to see an updated version of that with high end componentry! Just a volume and a tone knob. The rest is up to you. :)

I know someone who could probably make a Fender Pro closer to original design then what's on the market today... :D

I know someone who could probably make a Fender Pro closer to original design then what's on the market today... :D

Of that I have no doubt. The good news is... I could likely MUCH sooner afford that than a Dr. Z! haha.

Even a used Dr. Z... Since you have cabs' date=' you\'d only need a head version...[/quote']

Even those are around $1100-$1200. 75% of that would likely land me a KBP Pro amp new. That Dr. Z cab is to die for though!

• 2 weeks later...

I am the lucky owner of a Route 66 and a 1996 H535 and a 2007 H157. I no longer use pedals with this set up. I just go straight into the amp and run it through a Celestion Alnico Gold and a Celestion G12H30. Warm and sweet, like molasses on cornbread.

I am the lucky owner of a Route 66 and a 1996 H535 and a 2007 H157. I no longer use pedals with this set up. I just go straight into the amp and run it through a Celestion Alnico Gold and a Celestion G12H30. Warm and sweet' date=' like molasses on cornbread.[/quote']

My only concern is coming up with the other $1200 or so for a used Rt. 66. Amazing sounding amp for sure.

Archived