Heritage Owners Club

Scale Length and Tone

DetroitBlues

Marty,

I may be a bit lost. I thought that a LP and an SG both were 24.75" scale guitars.

Bob

yep, I was thinking the same thing. they are the same scale length.

First, I stated that it is somehow relevant, which is a vague disclaimer. Second, you are certainly correct about the scale lengths of the Gibsons.

DB was commenting that there were only slight differences in the jazz tracks Kuz posted. For a blues player, that is no surprise. The guitars would sound more similar than different when comparing the sound clips.

The video I posted demonstrated a world of difference between Fender and Gibson, by far the greatest factor being the pickups.

The two Gibsons sound very similar. Yet I think the LP is a little brighter, although I may be wrong. If it is brighter, it may be due to the maple cap and ebony board.

I don't doubt that scale length affects tone. It's not a huge factor in the realm of amplified instruments, not like strings, pickups, amps and technique. But nonetheless it's probably an element.

I know someone whose an accomplished professional jazz player who is putting aside his L5 and the like for a Byrdland. The reason is arthitis. He cannot make the stretches he once could. I talked to Rich Severson about that transition. He didn't mention any lament about loss of tone.

Here's a video with Rich and John Pisano. Note the profound difference in tone between the two jazz players. Both have 25.5" scale guitars. One has flat wounds and the treble rolled way off (Rich).

You can appreciate that any difference in tone with Rich changing scale lengths matters little in his situation.

Archived