Heritage Owners Club

Tried a H530 Today

DetroitBlues

Went to GC today, decided I'd take a look at this used H530 in faded Cherry...

107801270_lg.jpg

It was loaded with Lollar P90's. Didn't see a single scratch on it, no noticeable dings on the body, neck, or headstock. The faded Cherry almost had a dark pink color to it. Plugged it into an Orange Tiny Terror. That thing rocked. It was a little tough to play in comparison to my Dot or the SG, but it did sound good. Unlike the old early 70's 330 I tried a couple years ago, this guitar did not feedback at all. Sounded really good, felt good, and looked good. There is a subtle flame to the top and a nice solid plain back. The neck was not as thin as the 140 I had, but it was thinner than 50's profile necks. SN began with a AB, so I believe its a 2012. I told him the price of the guitar is nearly the price of a new one. I like the guitar, but it didn't "speak" to me. Maybe one of you could talk them down if the hollow-body 530 is your style.

Honestly, the complete hollow body might give you some feedback issues with your overdriven blues songs.

If I were you, I think a 535 would be better suited for your style, just my opinion.

Honestly, the complete hollow body might give you some feedback issues with your overdriven blues songs.

If I were you, I think a 535 would be better suited for your style, just my opinion.

I just wanted to try it.. .But you're right, the semi-hollow body design works great for me... I plan on using my Epi Dot live for a long time. Great stage guitar, that looks really good and I won't be worried about it being stolen or broken...

Its funny because the 530 is on guitar that I was really lusting for as well. I played a couple and for some reason they just didn't speak to me either. I love the looks and the idea of the guitar, maybe I need to try a couple more. I think that its different from the Gibson 330 because of where the neck meets the body? Maybe that's why, because I love 330s. Any thoughts on this?

Guest HRB853370

He has a 535. A trans red one. He just has not paid for it yet, therefore it has not been shipped!

Its funny because the 530 is on guitar that I was really lusting for as well. I played a couple and for some reason they just didn't speak to me either. I love the looks and the idea of the guitar, maybe I need to try a couple more. I think that its different from the Gibson 330 because of where the neck meets the body? Maybe that's why, because I love 330s. Any thoughts on this?

Here's a couple of rambling thoughts from a 530 owner.

This instrument's is perfect if you are looking for that Grant Green tone. Mellow, articulate jazz with a bit of woodiness from the laminated hollow body.

It is also great for chimey chords for backing vocals.

I find it also very good for thicker-than-a-Strat funky chink-a-chink riffage and syncapated triads needing to cut through the mix.

What I don't do a lot of with mine is push the P90's into overdrive. That results in too much out of control feedback, and simply put, tones that just do not work on a hollow body git. However, if you do want overdrive from a 530, it can be done...and it can be EQ'd to sound fantastic, but that takes time...and motivation.

Bottom line, the 530 is a fantastic sounding P90 loaded hollow body guitar that is not suited for every style of music. That's why they are more of a limited production model compared to a more widely adaptable semi-hollow 535 or 555.

Great, as I had bumped an earlier thread, I thought I wanted a 530 as well but then after listening to owners and videos I think the 525 might suit me better. From what I've experienced I thoguht the 525 was a very versatile guitar. I'm curious what about the 530 made it challenging to play?

Also, I keep ruling out 535s but can the 535 get that woody tone at all? I just don't want duplicate sounds since I have LPs and an older Ibanez AM50 that very similar to an ES 339. So my hope was to get a 525 and have very different tonal options but crap NOW I wonder if I can't separate myself with a 535.

I know the 535s are quote the versatile instrument. I see people commenting on how 525s are "limited" it kinda makes me nervous. I know with a 535 I could do almost anything but I love that P90sound and want taht hollow/woody characteristic that I have not heard from a 535.

course it's been awhile since I've played one so who knows.

I know the 535s are quote the versatile instrument. I see people commenting on how 525s are "limited" it kinda makes me nervous. I know with a 535 I could do almost anything but I love that P90sound and want taht hollow/woody characteristic that I have not heard from a 535.

course it's been awhile since I've played one so who knows.

You can get a 535 or 555 or prospect with P90s if you need the access or you can put single coils humbucker mounts onto a 535.

• 1 month later...
Great, as I had bumped an earlier thread, I thought I wanted a 530 as well but then after listening to owners and videos I think the 525 might suit me better. From what I've experienced I thoguht the 525 was a very versatile guitar. I'm curious what about the 530 made it challenging to play? Also, I keep ruling out 535s but can the 535 get that woody tone at all? I just don't want duplicate sounds since I have LPs and an older Ibanez AM50 that very similar to an ES 339. So my hope was to get a 525 and have very different tonal options but crap NOW I wonder if I can't separate myself with a 535.

I think that's very subjective, and depends on what you've been playing prior....I found my new 530 INCREDIBLY easy to play.

You can get a 535 or 555 or prospect with P90s if you need the access or you can put single coils humbucker mounts onto a 535.

What I wanted was the hollow body sound, but preferred humbuckers, so I ordered one made that way. For me: it worked out perfect.

Archived