Heritage Owners Club

Ebony Tailpiece...Opinions Please!

Gitfiddler

Some of Heritage's archtops are coming from the factory with either standard bail tailpieces, six finger or a few with ebony tails.

Apparently there is currently a shortage of the 'H' bail tails. 

What do you think of the ebony tailpiece option?

Here's one example:

width=600 height=461http://www.gbase.com/files/store_images/163/1854920/photo1_11c46-Original.jpg[/img]

width=600 height=461http://www.gbase.com/files/store_images/163/1854920/Photo2_ae5bf-Original.jpg[/img]

I think they bespeak class and style and a "woodiness" that, to me, is part and parcel of a classic jazz box, almost an "old world" instrument appearance.  I'd thought about getting one for my Super; I think John said Stewmac has nice ones.  And I'd posted a few months ago that I didn't like the Heritage "H" bail.  But now that it's had time to sink in, I find the "H" bail has really grown on me; it's nicely done, almost has an art-deco feel, and it is distinctly Heritage, which is now a big plus for me.  The multi-finger tailpieces serve their function, but they look too busy.

The ebony is a feature of most modern archtops, with Benedetto setting the standard.  I suspect part of the appeal to a maker is you don't get stuck being late on a bunch of orders while waiting for parts.  I wouldn't worry about durability much.  It's supposed to create a woodier more acoustic tone.  Personally, my holy tone grail is Burrell.  So I prefer heavy metal tailpieces, like the H, that add just that little bit of bite.

I hope these are completely wooden tailpeices, not metal covered by ebony like on the Eastmans.  G-word aside, the Eastman's are probably the closest price competitor for Heritage.  Kalamazoo is unlikely to compete with Eastman's prices for carved archtops, so getting that extra bang for the buck in quality materials, superior craftsmanship, and greater flexibility in custom orders will be key.  Given its history, Heritage seems better placed to compete than the other mid-priced factory producers that are in Asia but still cost more than Eastmans.  Nonetheless, they'll still need to continue to offer more to attract those who are already beyond brand name obsession.

Although I think the pictured Sweet 16 is a stunning guitar, the ebony looks a little incongruous to me.  I'd trace the use of ebony tailpieces to James D'Aquisto, who I think was the innovator in the shift from the very highly ornamented, art-deco D'Angelico guitar to a more organic, elegant, look, with wood binding, or at least fewer plies, less "showy" fingerboard inlays, finger rests instead of bound pickguards, etc.  D'Aquisto, who apprenticed with D'Angelico, first began using ebony tailpieces on his guitars in the early 70s. (members.tripod.com/turboracer/guitars/daquisto.htm)  Though more traditional in some ways, Benedetto has certainly moved towards this look and, as the most acclaimed maker since D'Aquisto's death, he's been very influential, as Ingeneri suggests.  (I think the tailpiece on the Heritage is marketed by Benedetto, which may explain why it seems too long on a 16" guitar).  The Eastmans, many of which have no fingerboard inlays, and the Dale Unger-designed guitars being manufactured by Martin (which have no binding at all), are in this "school."

To me, and this is just opinion, most of the Heritage guitars still have too many of the old decorative elements to look quite right with ebony tailpiece --looks "aftermarket."  The bail seems more consistent with the overall design.

Archived