Heritage Owners Club

Gassing Bad

Trouble

My 150 has turned out to be a wonderful guitar, it's been about 3 years or so since I bought, and I'm still honeymooning. I want another one, it doesn't have to be a 150, a 140 or 170 might work, as long as the same vibe is there. Recently I had planned on purchasing another Heritage but I had some things pop up that caused me to dip into my guitar funds. I'm back on track now, not in a position to buy but got a plan in action and putting money away again just for a guitar, it will be a few months.

My thing is, I'm a little scared, I'm worried I may have to go through a few to get that same connection that I have with my 150, one of the things that made my 150 a keeper so quickly is the neck, from what I understand, earlier guitars had thinner necks and the newer guitars have chunkier necks.

My 150 is a 2005, could anybody tell me what kind of time frame I could expect to find a similiar neck, for instance, 2000 to 2008 or whatever? Would you expect a 2012 to have a bigger neck than a 2005 or were they maxed by then, and how would say a 98 compare to an 05?

I know they are hand made and every one is different but within reason they kind of follow a standard size right?

I know a lot of you guys have owned several Heritage's, and if you can give me any kind of help that would be great.

Mostly correct. My 1st H was an '02 150 Ultra and that had a way slim neck (too slim). I remeber my '98 150 also had a very thinnish neck. I currently have an '08 H-137, and recently sold an '11 H-150 both have fairly chunky necks. My other git is a '10 H-157 and that neck is a bit thinner than the previously mentioned. However, even the 157s' neck is not as thin as the '98 or '02 150s'. Don't know if that helps ya' though.

I know they are hand made and every one is different but within reason they kind of follow a standard size right?

I was talking to a guy at the factory this year while he was shaping a neck and he mentioned that some people specify some very detailed measurements when describing how they want the neck of their guitar to be made. Perhaps there is a caliper tool of some sort that can measure the thickness of the neck of your current guitar and then you could provide thickness measurements at the 2'nd fret and the 12th fret should you decide to order a new guitar.

Like jocky said. Get some calipers and a ruler. Measure with at the nut, thickness at the first fret and either 9th or 12th (before the heal starts) Take note of the shape C -D. Not rocket science. Arnold had mentioned when he rolls a neck the wood tells him how it wants to be shaped. Nothing to fear but Trouble himself.

Guest HRB853370

Like jocky said. Get some calipers and a ruler. Measure with at the nut, thickness at the first fret and either 9th or 12th (before the heal starts) Take note of the shape C -D. Not rocket science. Arnold had mentioned when he rolls a neck the wood tells him how it wants to be shaped. Nothing to fear but Trouble himself.

This guy thinks he is soooo funny doesn't he?

But I would concur-you can specify the neck profile you desire, just be prepared to wait. Folks like me can buy a used Heritage with no fear. My serial number Q 150 has a somewhat thinner neck, my 2011 150 GT has more of a late 50's LP type neck. But I can play strats and switch to either 150 with no issues or adjustment problems.

Mostly correct. My 1st H was an '02 150 Ultra and that had a way slim neck (too slim). I remeber my '98 150 also had a very thinnish neck. I currently have an '08 H-137, and recently sold an '11 H-150 both have fairly chunky necks. My other git is a '10 H-157 and that neck is a bit thinner than the previously mentioned. However, even the 157s' neck is not as thin as the '98 or '02 150s'. Don't know if that helps ya' though.

That kind of mirrors what I was thinking, I'm sure there are going to be a lot of guitars that were spec 'ed to be thinner but sounds like basically from '05 on up I should be good, theoretically.

I was talking to a guy at the factory this year while he was shaping a neck and he mentioned that some people specify some very detailed measurements when describing how they want the neck of their guitar to be made. Perhaps there is a caliper tool of some sort that can measure the thickness of the neck of your current guitar and then you could provide thickness measurements at the 2'nd fret and the 12th fret should you decide to order a new guitar.

This guy thinks he is soooo funny doesn't he?

But I would concur-you can specify the neck profile you desire, just be prepared to wait. Folks like me can buy a used Heritage with no fear. My serial number Q 150 has a somewhat thinner neck, my 2011 150 GT has more of a late 50's LP type neck. But I can play strats and switch to either 150 with no issues or adjustment problems.

Thanks guys but planning on buying used again, prices are really great for used Heritages. I'm sure if I'm lucky enough to get one from a forum member, then it will be no problem finding out what the neck is like ahead of time, but if I get one somewhere else I want an idea of what to expect.

Guest HRB853370

That kind of mirrors what I was thinking, I'm sure there are going to be a lot of guitars that were spec 'ed to be thinner but sounds like basically from '05 on up I should be good, theoretically.

Thanks guys but planning on buying used again, prices are really great for used Heritages. I'm sure if I'm lucky enough to get one from a forum member, then it will be no problem finding out what the neck is like ahead of time, but if I get one somewhere else I want an idea of what to expect.

Speaking of killer used prices, did you see the VSB 150 (2008) on Ebay? Sellers name is willpreachforfood. Nice looking guitar at a great price.

You know it's kind of funny, I took some measurements a year or so ago up and down the neck of both my 150 and SG, width and depth measurements are nearly identical up and down the necks, so close it would be impossible to notice a difference, but the feel of the two is vastly different, it has to be in the shoulders of the neck, makes the SG feel a little bigger. I'm not good at describing necks but I believe the 150 has a very uniform c-shape, and the SG seems to have maybe a boat type carve but with deeper shoulders, definate different feel between the two.

Speaking of killer used prices, did you see the VSB 150 (2008) on Ebay? Sellers name is willpreachforfood. Nice looking guitar at a great price.

Yes and it is beautiful. I think that seller has another for sale too. I'm not ready yet though, l have to build up my funds again.

Guest HRB853370

Slammer I just noticed that the amount that you are gas free seems to be getting lower by the day, better be careful!

Yep, without a doubt!

Naww, my gas tank nearly empty. Bout the same as my funds tank.

Guest HRB853370

Slammer I just noticed that the amount that you are gas free seems to be getting lower by the day, better be careful!

Yep, without a doubt!

Naww, my gas tank nearly empty. Bout the same as my funds tank.

Archived