Heritage Owners Club

Overdrive Pedal Shoot Out

Kuz

This all started from the Fulltone Fulldrive thread where Detroitblues said he would like to hear some sound clips. I thought it might be fun to compare all 3 of my Overdrive pedals so....

PLEASE don't listen to the horrible noodling playing these clips, just the tone of each pedal. I made NO EFFORT to play licks or phrasing, but to represent the tones available from the pedals. All Pedals were set to about 1/4-1/3 of their OD/Distortion Gain.

-CLIP 1) Heritage 150 (Yoder) with Throbak SLE-101s into Bogner Shiva EL34 Head (clean channel with reverb, no amp distortion) out the Pure 64 1x12 Cab with a Scumback M75 ("Greenback") mic'd with an SM57 straight on 1" off cap edge.

Order of Pedals in sound clips

-Clean (Neck then Bridge)

-TC Electronics Vintage Distortion (no longer produced) (Neck then Bridge)

-TS9 TubeScreamer (vintage circa 1988) (Neck then Bridge)

-Fulltone Fulldrive II Channel 1 Vintage setting (Neck then Bridge)

-Fulltone Fulldrive II Channel 2 "Boost" Standard setting (Neck then Bridge)

-Fulltone Fulldrive II Channel 1 FM setting (Neck then Bridge)

-Fulltone Fulldrive II Channel 2 "Boost" MOSFAT setting (Neck then Bridge)

-CLIP 2) Same as Clip #1 but with BACKING TRACK

-CLIP 3) Same as Clip #1 But with Fender Custom Shop '65 Strat Rosewood fretboard (Neck then Bridge)

-CLIP 4) Same as Clip #3 But with BACKING TRACK (Strat)

Click on the individual Sound Clip (1-4) to Listen http://soundcloud.co...edal-shoot-out/

I will give my thoughts later, enjoy them if you can get past the playing!!!!

John

This all started from the Fulltone Fulldrive thread where Detroitblues said he would like to hear some sound clips. I thought it might be fun to compare all 3 of my Overdrive pedals so....

PLEASE don't listen to the horrible noodling playing these clips,

John

Okay, didn't listen. ....... :laughing7:

Okay, I did actually listen. Didn't care for too many of them on the neck. I think the amp and guitar/pickups might not need an OD to get that bluesy, gutsy feeling. On the bridge I thought they all sound similar enough that any of them would do for chording. However, on single note/lead work the FD2 Channel 2 was my fav. Lots of definition and clarity on the notes, yet with the requisite drive behind them to have some sustain and guts. The other FD clips on bridge lead work didn't seem to have quite the note definition. Not for me, anyway. Nice playing, too, Johnboy.

I'll have to come back when I have a chance to give it a listen. How do we know they aren't all your Axe-FX? You've done that to us in the past. :icon_joker:

The problem I've had with just about every version of the FD2 I've owned is they sound frlicking amazing when I'm playing by myself, but when I play with the band, the sound just get's lost in the mix. Even with a SUBSTANTIAL volume boost I can't hear myself. The tone just doesn't cut. Maybe it would work in different setting, but I've tried AT LEAST half a dozen different variations of the FD2 over the years (Blue pre-flat mids, Blue Flat mids, Yellow Limited Edition, TR100 (my favorite), Red limited edition fm/vintage switch, Limited Edition fm/vintage/mosfet - those are the ones I remember) and they all did the same thing (well maybe not the TR100). The only one I miss is the TR100, it cut, but since I sold it for $600 I don't miss it that much!

I'll have to come back when I have a chance to give it a listen. How do we know they aren't all your Axe-FX? You've done that to us in the past. :icon_joker:

The problem I've had with just about every version of the FD2 I've owned is they sound frlicking amazing when I'm playing by myself, but when I play with the band, the sound just get's lost in the mix. Even with a SUBSTANTIAL volume boost I can't hear myself. The tone just doesn't cut. Maybe it would work in different setting, but I've tried AT LEAST half a dozen different variations of the FD2 over the years (Blue pre-flat mids, Blue Flat mids, Yellow Limited Edition, TR100 (my favorite), Red limited edition fm/vintage switch, Limited Edition fm/vintage/mosfet - those are the ones I remember) and they all did the same thing (well maybe not the TR100). The only one I miss is the TR100, it cut, but since I sold it for $600 I don't miss it that much!

This is the EXACT reason for doing TWO different clips with the 150 & Strat.

-One set of clips with just the guitar and OD Pedal

-And a Second set of clips with a Backing Track to kind of approximate the sound of the Guitar & OD pedal with a band.

So, yep, I completely agree that in a vacuum and with a band sounds COMPLETELY different.

AND NO it is not the Axe-Fx. The AF would have sounded better (cause micing a cab is a PITA and I am not very good at it, even though I know where I am supposed to mic it), more on this when I give my conclusions. But I am holding off giving my input so I don't jade others' thoughts.

Honestly the tones were great on the Fulltone Fulldrive for both the 150 and the Strat had the edgy blues tone I like. I don't like sparkle clean, I prefer hair on my blues. There was a big difference to my ears between regular clips and those with the back tracks. Back tracks sounded much better. Thanks so much for posting... Question though, when you hit the boost, did you gphave to adjust the levels on the recording or did it just cause a difference in gain but no volume?

Honestly the tones were great on the Fulltone Fulldrive for both the 150 and the Strat had the edgy blues tone I like. I don't like sparkle clean, I prefer hair on my blues. There was a big difference to my ears between regular clips and those with the back tracks. Back tracks sounded much better. Thanks so much for posting... Question though, when you hit the boost, did you gphave to adjust the levels on the recording or did it just cause a difference in gain but no volume?

Since overdrive (gain) causes natural compression, no there were no spikes in the output that I need to adjust for. The natural compression keeps the levels from spiking. So yes, an increase in gain but a marginal difference in overall volume.

Man, this is going to take some time listening. First impression.... I'm a neck pickup guy. Bridge pickups always sound on the strident side for me, especially with the OD units. I like a nice smooth creamy sound with my overdrive. Second impression... I need to hear it within the confines of the backing track. I don't usually crank up OD when I'm playing solo, unless I'm in a strange mood, or some song has been going through my head all day. Give me clean... that's why I got the Patriot.

I'll come back to it tonight and see if I can nail anything down for certain.

As for the noodlin', you noodle with the best, John.

I've been coveting the Fulltone pedals for a while now - specifically the Fulltone Fulldrive, MOSFAT and Deja Vibe.

Thanks, this will help me decide what's right for me.

Archived