Heritage Owners Club

Need amp guru help

Trouble

I've been playin my little Vibro Champ at a church gig, and today got there and no sound. Checked tubes and the 6l6 wasn't working, preamp tubes were glowing although not very hot, and rec tube was glowing and warm. Got home and tried a couple known working tubes and same thing, none would work and no sound.

Any ideas where to start looking?

Which tubes did you try swapping around?

When you say that the 6v6 wasn't working, do you mean that the filaments in it were not glowing? If that's the case, it sounds like one of the heater wires has come loose off from the socket.

Which tubes did you try swapping around?

When you say that the 6v6 wasn't working, do you mean that the filaments in it were not glowing? If that's the case, it sounds like one of the heater wires has come loose off from the socket.

Tried swapping in a new 6v6. I pulled the chassis, couldn't find anything that looked wrong all the solder joints looked good. The contacts in the socket itself are really loose. I think I'm going to have to replace the socket and add some tube retainers. After tinkering with it it started working, I think somewhere it wasn't making contact with the pins on the tube.

I do believe you're on to it! The filament heater pins were likely not making good contact - and of course no filaments equals non functioning tube

You could try cleaning the socket with some de-oxit and re-tensioning the pins; but sockets are cheap, and adding a retaining clip sounds like a good idea.

I do believe you're on to it! The filament heater pins were likely not making good contact - and of course no filaments equals non functioning tube

You could try cleaning the socket with some de-oxit and re-tensioning the pins; but sockets are cheap, and adding a retaining clip sounds like a good idea.

Thanks. I don't remember that socket ever having a lot of "grab" to it when putting a tube in, and I lost a tube in transit once so since then I've just pulled the tubes when I took it somwhere. I probably didn't help it any by doing that I should have put retainers on it a long time ago.

Archived