Heritage Owners Club

140 vs 150

bluesgolfer

It's all a matter of thickness and appointments when deciding between the two.

Appreciate the fact that you responded. However, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I know that the 140 is smaller. Do you notice a difference in tone between the two? thanks

If there is a tone difference, it's subtle. I could not detect it.

I lined up three new H157s recently, all with 59s and GHS 10-46s. They all sound a little different. The differences among them

Is similar to the degree of differences I've heard between the two H140s I've owned and H150s. In other words, I could not detect a H140 quality to what I heard.

Last year I ran into an endorsing artist visiting Kalamazoo for some Heritage business. He let me play his H140. I told him I was surprised that he records with a small guitar. He explained that he's had many LPs and some H150s. The only difference between the larger guitars and a H140 is a sore back after the third set.

He used his H140 on Austin City Limits and in a concert with 70,000 fans. He said he was bombarded by headstock comments from other musicians. But no one had a negative thing to say about his tone. He plays blues.

Someone with better ears than me might be able to pick out the sound file made by a H140 from several H150s. I can't and would love to have that put to a test.

He said he was bombarded by headstock comments from other musicians. But no one had a negative thing to say about his tone.

Do you mean they were making fun of him for not using a Gibson/Fender/whatever or did they think that there was something structurally inferior about it.

Many didn't hear of Heritage before. Many didn't like the headstock shape.

The headstock never was a big deal to me, although it would not have been my first choice aesthetically. It does keep a straight string pull up to the keys, so it is functional. Gibson cannot claim that.

Now back to the original point of the thread.

The minor complaint I have about the H140 is the small body. It hangs a little strange. You get used to it pretty fast though.

Marty: I spoke with a Heritage dealer recently who told me exactly what you just said. Although my instincts tell me that the 140 and 150 should sound different because of the difference in mass, he said no difference in tone. But he is a dealer and I thought maybe he was just having trouble selling his 140's. Thanks for you response.

Guest HRB853370

Marty: I spoke with a Heritage dealer recently who told me exactly what you just said. Although my instincts tell me that the 140 and 150 should sound different because of the difference in mass, he said no difference in tone. But he is a dealer and I thought maybe he was just having trouble selling his 140's. Thanks for you response.

If you listen to an SG and compare it to a Les Paul, same pickups, you will not detect an audible difference in tone. Perhaps sustain, but I never measured that.

The trouble with this discussion is that it is in the land of opinion. This means that bias reigns king. I'm a skeptic by nature, so I need more obvious differences to convince me. Others may be less skeptical and more open to hearing smaller differences.

Db may have some additional suggestions but I saw an H535 at the GC in Southfield a few weeks ago. Othewise, the best place in the area will be Elderly Instruments in Lansing. They've always got a few on hand.

Hey DB: I'm in the Troy area myself. Do you know of any retailers around that deal in used Heritages?

There are none. Hard to find them used locally. Almost as hard to find a new one in stock. You can try Motorcity Guitar in Waterford. They have some or at least they did.

Db may have some additional suggestions but I saw an H535 at the GC in Southfield a few weeks ago. Othewise, the best place in the area will be Elderly Instruments in Lansing. They've always got a few on hand.

I saw that 535 online last week, called there, and it was still there. Popped in this weekend a few days after my call and learned it was sold. Saleman told me he had played it a lot and had great praise for it as well as a 150 he had played withing the last few weeks.

The trouble with this discussion is that it is in the land of opinion. This means that bias reigns king. I'm a skeptic by nature, so I need more obvious differences to convince me. Others may be less skeptical and more open to hearing smaller differences.

I agree with you. I think the difference in the guitar construction can be completely obscured by changes in pickups, capacitor values, strings, even picks.

People say that you need mass to sustain, yet of all my guitars, the one with the most sustain is the Melancon which is in the 6lb range and is made up swamp ash. That was the FIRST thing that just blew me away. Rings like the proverbial bell!

Or maybe I'm just deaf.....

Appreciate the fact that you responded. However, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I know that the 140 is smaller. Do you notice a difference in tone between the two? thanks

Not smaller as much as thinner.... As far as tone goes, I do not notice much of a difference...

Archived