Heritage Owners Club

Nut material.

High Flying Bird

"Nut Law #1 states that the material of the nut will only affect the tone of the open strings. Fretted notes ignore the nut, tonally....the only exception being the rare instance in which a nut slot has been cut too low and allows the length of string behind the fret (ie, between the fret position and the nut) to vibrate sympathetically.

Bingo!

For those of us who play lots of "cowboy chords" this will probably have a serious bearing, but after that first fret and your fleshy fingers hit the string, the nut is a non issue. I think the Tusq is probably a little more slippery than bone. Tusq XL nuts have teflon incorporated into the material. If you're using a Bigsby, that might be more important for keeping the string from binding.

FWIW, the Tusq nuts are probably a little more consistent than bone. You have to make sure you have bone with high density and low porosity, and that it doesn't have any stress cracks that might affect the strength of the nut. I think oxen is the preferred bone these days, from the middle east.

Too bad chicken wing bone isn't good. A good night at Hooters or BW3 would supply a luthier for years!

Guest HRB853370

"Nut Law #1 states that the material of the nut will only affect the tone of the open strings. Fretted notes ignore the nut, tonally....the only exception being the rare instance in which a nut slot has been cut too low and allows the length of string behind the fret (ie, between the fret position and the nut) to vibrate sympathetically.

On the other hand, the bridge and tailpiece are always "in play" tonally."

Terry

Terry uses bone, fossil ivory (not modern ivory), wooly mammoth bone.

Another Terry quote? Well, good golly by molly!! :icon_silent:

I want a copy of the book Kuz, "The indisputable rules and gospel of guitar making" by Terry McInturff!!

(hope you can take my jerking your chain!)

Tusq XL nuts have teflon incorporated into the material. If you're using a Bigsby, that might be more important for keeping the string from binding.

That's the one I have me eye on. I don't hardly ever use the wiggler but I do bend the strings a lot. There is something fishy about the nut.

I always referred to my favorite after market nuts as "Graph Tech" nuts but that might be the same company who makes the Tusk nuts referred to previously. Here is a sample of what I am talking about...

http://graphtech.com/products.html?CategoryID=5

Yea, I think it is. It looks like Graph Tech has added a LOT of products since the last time I bought replacement nuts from them.

i have a couple o

Have a buddy with a Gibby 345 custom that has a brass nut. I've been intrigued by that possibility. Any experiences with?

I have a couple of early 80s electrics with brass nuts and have never had a tuning issue. Never had to replace one either. :icon_smile: They polish up nice too!

Archived