Heritage Owners Club

Heritage Flying V?: Has it been done? Would they do it?

Number8

My latest infatuation is a 1980 Gibson Flying V (V2, see link below). Does anyone know if the Heritage folks have ever made something similar? I'm guessing the answer is no but thought I'd explore the idea. Thanks for your help.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Gibson-FLYING-V-2-all-ORIGINAL-Natural-/370699605943?pt=Guitar&hash=item564f6b17b7

Couple things....at PSPV I stood outside the barn, I confess at that point i don't recall who was involved in the conversation, but Jim, Marv, myself and another HOC'er were chatting and this guy asked about something crazy and Marv said it comes down to money. To me that means yes.

Having said that, my friend is selling an all original '75 V. He's the original owner. Mint. $3500.00

I listed it a while back in this thread.

http://www.heritageo...-gear-for-sale/

And here she is....K-Zoo lineage to boot.

DSCF0002_2190173245_std.jpg

Thanks KS but I'm hoping to do a little better than that on price (a lot better actually)...or possibly getting the Epiphone version and then putting in the hottest pups I can find.

That V is sweet though. Thanks for sharing.

yep, way too rich for my blood as well. I was thinking that if you were considering a Heritage, one-off, maybe this would be in your budget. Plus, after seeing Grace Potter in concert a half dozen times, the V has taken on a whole new meaning, and I don't think I could play one. In public anyway. You can refer to Schundog's comments re: Tele Headstocks for a frame of reference.

....at PSPV I stood outside the barn, I confess at that point i don't recall who was involved in the conversation, but Jim, Marv, myself and another HOC'er were chatting and this guy asked about something crazy and Marv said it comes down to money. To me that means yes.

Well there's another problem too. The factory requires us guitar buyers to go through their Heritage Guitar dealer. But the Heritage dealer might not want to cooperate.

For example... Last month or so, I had an idea that I would like to have a Heritage Explorer (but not just any Heritage Explorer, I wanted one based on the H357 neck-through design with the rest of the body shaped like an Explorer instead of a Thunderbird).

So, knowing that my closest Heritage dealer hasn't got an ounce of motivation to call in a Heritage order, I called a better stocked Heritage dealer in order to present the idea. Basically, I then spent about five minutes on the phone listening to all the reasons why it would be a completely futile effort just to special order an H357 (a guitar which they've already made before). Then, as for a an Explorer shaped guitar which they've never made before? Summoning every ounce of politeness that they had in them, they conveyed the concept to me of, "Don't even think about it!"

Even if Marv is willing to build a special guitar, unless you happen to be standing in front of him one day while you are both drinking a beer or something, it is probably not likely that the request will ever reach his ear.

Rich and others, this is why it is best to call Heritage (ask for Marv) first and get confirmation that they will build the guitar. After that the dealers have to obey and order it. I don't expect it to be cheap though. I have never asked what the others paid for their 357s, but for an Explore or Flying V, I would guess $2500-3000 for a custom one-off build. IF I was into these type guitars and could spec out exactly what colors, neck shape, wood, pups, hardware, ect.... and get it made for me by a master luthier, I WOULD DO IT IN A HEARTBEAT!!!

Even if Marv is willing to build a special guitar, unless you happen to be standing in front of him one day while you are both drinking a beer or something, it is probably not likely that the request will ever reach his ear.

Especially not right now.... It's deer season.

Thanks KS but I'm hoping to do a little better than that on price (a lot better actually)...or possibly getting the Epiphone version and then putting in the hottest pups I can find.

That V is sweet though. Thanks for sharing.

Found an Epi with a HSC for $299 with this old School Gibson Logo on it

Having Heritage build you a V is just like buying a Heritage H 357 firebird over a mass produced Gibson firebird....

Gibson..........$1500

Heritage........$2600??

BUT....when you buy a Heritage you will be buying a handcrafted guitar made with care....not a cookie cutter, CNC, mass produced guitar made with only capitol gains in mind.

Having Heritage build you a V is just like buying a Heritage H 357 firebird over a mass produced Gibson firebird....

Gibson..........$1500

Heritage........$2600??

BUT....when you buy a Heritage you will be buying a handcrafted guitar made with care....not a cookie cutter, CNC, mass produced guitar made with only capitol gains in mind.

I've kicked around this idea a few times (A special order, non-standard, Heritage Bass/FlyingV/Explorer) and keep coming back to the conclusion that I should just let Heritage do what they do best and let the other guitar makers do what they do best. Meaning that I'll just keep buying the normal offerings from Heritage and get my weird shapes from the other guys.

I've had a Gibson USA Explorer once before and sold it but these days I'm looking at Dean for Flying V's or Explorer shapes. Dean has been making them since the 70's their top shelf offerings are pretty darn good.

For informational reference...

The attached photo is my 30th Anniversary model Dean V.

It has a translucent black burst finish over a flame maple top with body, neck and headstock binding.

At $800.00 new (MIK), it is cheaper than a Gibson and gets the job done.

post-679-0-68572400-1354058219_thumb.jpg

Gibson..........$1500

Heritage........$2600??

I'm 100% in agreement with you. I like a lot of Gibson guitars but I prefer that they're made by artisans and craftsmen with patience and care. That's why I own my Prospect and my 137, and not a 339 and a LP Special.

I wonder if I show up at the PSP next year and there are a few folks like me looking for a V, maybe they'd do it and it might be a little cheaper than $2500+. (Or maybe I'm an optimist.)

If Heritage were to build a Flying V, I wonder how they would approach the headstock. It's a huge part of the overall design of the original and I'm guessing it would be lawsuit territory to use that arrowhead style with the V body shape.

If Heritage were to build a Flying V, I wonder how they would approach the headstock. It's a huge part of the overall design of the original and I'm guessing it would be lawsuit territory to use that arrowhead style with the V body shape.

Yep, great point.

I'd ask for the conventional headstock except I'd ask them to make it a little wider at the bottom and a little more narrow at the top.

In any event, would a lawsuit really be a concern for a custom, one-off? I guess it would be a problem if I managed to conjure up a handful of folks like myself, but that's probably just wishful thinking anyway.

Again, somebody needs to call Heritage around 8-9AM EST M-TR and ask Marv. No one will know unless they call Heritage, and yes this means the dealers won't know as well. We thought the first 357 was just going to be a one off, now there has been what, 7 or 8 made.

I paid a visit to my guy in LaGrange, Illinois today (Paul at Stone Grove Guitars). I asked him about the price he was quoted to make the 357 for a customer (PunKitty if I had to guess) and he said it was $3800. I'm guessing a V would have to be similar in price...and thus the point is moot. I can't justify spending that kind of coin for a mere indulgence.

Thanks for humoring me everyone.

Archived