Heritage Owners Club

Staying Connected

Spectrum13

My audio amp is pretty old. The plugs are all 1/4 RCA sockets. Rather than playing CDs through my CD player, I use my laptop iTunes.

Slammer commented that I run a patch cable from my laptop 1/8" headphone jack into a splitter with two 1/4 RCA jacks > Tuner.

This is not a stable jack. I was wondering if my HDMI can convert to 1/4 RCA. Any other ideas or is it time to buy a new tuner?

Guest HRB853370
My audio amp is pretty old. The plugs are all 1/4 RCA sockets. Rather than playing CDs through my CD player, I use my laptop iTunes.

Slammer commented that I run a patch cable from my laptop 1/8" headphone jack into a splitter with two 1/4 RCA jacks > Tuner.

This is not a stable jack. I was wondering if my HDMI can convert to 1/4 RCA. Any other ideas or is it time to buy a new tuner?

I don't recall ever having that discussion Dan!

I have an old PC I am going to use as a music library....keep all the songs in .flac ( free lossless audio compression ) format, and just hook up a small flat monitor so I can see the menu's

RCA jacks are fine, nothing wrong with them? I'll use them from the PC-->amp/receiver

ps this is pretty neat, and it's free: XBOX media server installs as it's own OS on windows/mac/xbox & is great for sound/movies etc:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/xbox-360-media-server-setup/

haven't tried it yet but it should work

well scratch that for me...looks like it doesn't support FLAC

http://www.talkcomputer.com/mediacenter/XBOX-FLAC-support-108617-.htm

which might be fine for other people who only use mp3/wmv/mp4

my original plan was to install ubuntu & then use my android phone as a controller...back to plan A I guess :D

( hope some of this info was useful to somebody )

I have my pc(s) connected to an old Pioneer unit that I was going to dispose of. Both pcs are connected to a small 4 channel stereo mixer by 1/8 to RCA connectors, the mixer is then connected to the Pioneer by 1/4" jack to RCA via the auxiliary input. Works great, the Pioneer unit is probably twenty years old now but the sound is great. I have all of my music ripped to MP3 on both PCs, for redundancy ( never know when a PC or hard disk will bomb out).

The MP3 folders are shared in windows, with full security and permissions. Recently got an android tablet, nothing fancy pricewise but it has all the features including wifi so I set up a secure wifi network for allowing the tablet access to the google app store and browsing online etc. I'm now using one of the pcs as my MP3 server, the tablet will connect to the windows shares via wifi no problem, I just had to install a file explorer app and enter in valid username and password on the windows pc. Works great for all file types too, video files, pdfs, documents etc. Connects throughout the house, even works with my android phone. The pc and wifi need to be running of course but its very handy to have everything available without having to copy files to the tablet or go looking for CDs.

Doing a little research into 21st century HiFi.

Looks like you choose between a home entertainment receiver and hook up the TV, VCR, CD, Internet, Ipod and Itunes but no turntable without a seperate pre-amp or what use to be a receiver with just RCA jacks. Can you plug a turntable into a computer and save old records onto itunes or some other media software?

• 2 weeks later...
Just get a turntable and play yer old records. They need love too.

Some day. They are pretty inexpensive. So got a new receiver and a 3D LED big screen they delivered the TV without the remote, instructions, base or glasses.

Now I need to figure out how to intergrate my JBL speakers into a 5.1 surround system. Get good stuff to go with the front end or some made for TV sub, front and rear speakers.

I have one computer hooked up to two active studio monitors, and use that when I work on audio mixdowns. The old computer in the basement has the output of the soundcard hooked up to the preamp of the good stereo system. It may not be audiophile approved, but it works fine. I just go into the line inputs. I do have a CD player if I really want to listen seriously, but most of the time, its "throw on a bunch of tunes" and browse the internet.

Most receivers no longer have phono inputs. If you have a turntable and need to hook it up you can pick up a phono preamp- prices run from $30 to $3000. (how golden are your ears??) There are some phono preamps that have USB outputs. You can use that and link to programs to capture the albums to your computer for burning to CDs. I've done this with a few albums that are rare, out of print and not available on CD. Otherwise, I try to find a CD version.

I have had some commercial CDs that were obvious transfers from vinyl disks. The James Gang's Yer Album, and Iron Butterfly's Metamorphosis are two that I had with obvious defects in the transfer.

Over the holidays, I finally upgraded my family room setup. I've had a 7.1 receiver for years, with my pair of 40+ year old Marantz 5G speakers that I bought in high school. I upgraded to a set of Polk Audios with 5.1 setup. (Its not a satellite/subwoofer setup... I still don't find them satisfactory). It took a while to get things set up right, but its great for videos. Palladia and AXS are a whole new experience.

Guest HRB853370
Some day. They are pretty inexpensive. So got a new receiver and a 3D LED big screen they delivered the TV without the remote, instructions, base or glasses.

Now I need to figure out how to intergrate my JBL speakers into a 5.1 surround system. Get good stuff to go with the front end or some made for TV sub, front and rear speakers.

I have a nice Marantz turntable if you are interested in buying it. Has cartridge and needle. All set to go.

Archived