Heritage Owners Club

The Fender Connection

JackBaruth

It isn't widely known, but Fender's sale and move to Corona, CA to build guitars in the United States once more, along with the creation of its Custom Shop, was pretty much a "reboot" of the franchise.

I just got done reading Tom Wheeler's book about the Custom Shop where he indicates that, during that turbulent time when Fender's new owners were trying to set up shop and slowly bring production back from Fuji-Gakki in Japan, the owners flew to Kalamazoo to meet with the Heritage Four. Their purpose was to learn how guitars are made in the US and basically how to set up and and run a shop.

I've heard rumors to the effect that this massive favor, which helped bring both the standard US production *and* the Custom Shop up and running much sooner than otherwise would have been the case, was repaid when Gibson sued PRS and threatened Heritage over the Singlecut body shape.

The bottom line: whenever you hold an American Standard or Custom Shop Fender in your hands, you're holding a part of the Heritage legacy! Crazy, ain't it?

You learn something new everyday here!

I thought the episode where Gibson tried to sue PRS and stop them making their single cut just showed the current Gibson management for what they are. The PRS is a vastly superior guitar to the Les Paul (current standards).

In fact the relationship between the new owners of Fender and Heritage was potentially closer, as it was the financers (Banks in California) that wouldn't finance any move to make Fenders out of California, like at the Heritage plant in Kzoo. This story has been told to me by Jim and has been talked about here.

In fact the relationship between the new owners of Fender and Heritage was potentially closer, as it was the financers (Banks in California) that wouldn't finance any move to make Fenders out of California, like at the Heritage plant in Kzoo. This story has been told to me by Jim and has been talked about here.

That's what I thought I had heard, Ray; there was talk of the then non-existent Fender Custom Shop being at 225 Parsons, right? Imagine how different things would be today! Imagine how P.Oed Gibson would be if Fender's top of the line was being produced in their historic building, they building they abandoned for dead?!

then again there would be no Heritage guitar...

not necessarily.

and, to me, anything outside California would be a mistake for Fender, California is what made them "cool" to most kids in the midwest, even kids in Kalamazoo.. :)

but, interesting to ponder..

Archived