Heritage Owners Club

H575 vs Sweet 16

barrymclark

To your question specifically (oops), my understanding is that if the top is routed for one or more pickups, it will have parallel bracing. Otherwise, expect X bracing.

To your question specifically (oops), my understanding is that if the top is routed for one or more pickups, it will have parallel bracing. Otherwise, expect X bracing.

I've generally understood the same; however, although the Sweet 16's I have seen generally have floating pickups, I have seen a couple with set-in pickups. That is what got me wondering. Did they change the bracing for those models or are they generally parallel?

I am getting out of my depth. On the provided link, there was a comment that a single routed pick up can have X bracing. The other complication is that a non-routed 575 is a custom and as such is not standardized. There are sure some pretty customs out there....

this has been kicked around some in the past...although it is a topic that I am always happy to entertain.....

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/topic/19990-575-vs-sweet-16/

Well, that pretty well answered the what is it normally question. I guess they just changed the bracing to parallel for the set-in pickup option.

Thanks!

575 and Sweet 16 have the same body with floating and single pickups having x bracing. Two pups will not be cross braced.

The man knows. +1

the single routed humbucker '16 I briefly owned was X-braced. nice guitar, but I actually preferred the tone of my former 575 because the tone was fuller on the '75. the '16 was a tad on the thin side to my liking.

file-50.jpg

I do love the tone of my 575. :)

My asking here was out of pure curiosity. If I were to get another Heritage.... I could so see it being another one but with maybe different pickups just to have a somewhat different flavor.

What about a Guild?

The Sweet 16 is a favorite of jazz players due to its 25.5 scale and smaller body width. When amplified it comes very close to a larger archtop's feel and tone, especially with proper amp and EQ adjustments. If you take a look around the archtop market today, many of the top builders have a 16" archtop as part of their product line. They are so comfortable to play standing or sitting. Finally, like the Golden Eagle, Sweet 16's are made to sound fantastic played acoustically or amplified. That may be the result of the bracing and the Spruce top. I tend to play mine without an amp, or at very low volumes so I can hear her through the F-holes. Sweet!

As for the 575, what can you say? They are perfect for players transitioning from the more common 24.75 scale (solid or semi-hollow) guitars. Solid wood and a 16" bout can't sound bad with or without an amp. And the amplified tone is killer! I find it a bit thicker than the Sweet 16, just as 2B stated above. That may be what the designers were looking for. But the 575 is a great all around player for live, studio or home use.

You can't go wrong with either. Just pick your favorite and go for it.

Archived