Heritage Owners Club

Thank you Amazon! New Amp on the way

gpuma

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

man, looking at that pic... your 535 looks so much better now!

agreed. Those dbl blacks had no business in this guitar. Glad I saw past them though, cuz now she's a show stopper.

You realize #8 is gonna be a mess after Saturday, playing these models he doesn't (yet) own....we need to commit to be there for him. I've given up on PunkKitty....

agreed. Those dbl blacks had no business in this guitar. Glad I saw past them though, cuz now she's a show stopper.

You realize #8 is gonna be a mess after Saturday, playing these models he doesn't (yet) own....we need to commit to be there for him. I've given up on PunkKitty....

not many chances of redemption for for #8 either, but that's what friends are for. That is "enabling", of course

The V5 is based on the Watkins Clubman amp. Which in turn is based on the EL86 powered hi-fi amps of the early 50's right into the 60's.

The quality of the valves make all the difference, simply because there is so little going on in the Class A circuitry to color the sound. Swapped in some GrooveTubes and get much brighter tone… not necessarily better, but different. After a couple days, I swapped the Bug tubes back in it.

Lots of variation of this circuit is being used today, some with added bells and whistles.
Aside from the Bugera Vintage 5, there is the Marshall Class 5, Blackheart BH5 and Epiphone Valve Junior.

All very different amps. All based on the Clubman…. a very basic bare circuit that you can do a lot with. For < $150 for the Bugera, there isn’t a better all-tube amp bargain out there.

Classic sound which is what the original was all about - not overly driven 60's beat sound (Think Kinks - All Day And All Of The Night).

There are several mods out there for the Blackheart and Epiphone VJ (such as Master volume and EQ), I suspect in time, we’ll see some for the V5 as well.

Cheers!

Jim

Guest HRB853370

The V5 is based on the Watkins Clubman amp. Which in turn is based on the EL86 powered hi-fi amps of the early 50's right into the 60's.

The quality of the valves make all the difference, simply because there is so little going on in the Class A circuitry to color the sound. Swapped in some GrooveTubes and get much brighter tone… not necessarily better, but different. After a couple days, I swapped the Bug tubes back in it.

Lots of variation of this circuit is being used today, some with added bells and whistles.

Aside from the Bugera Vintage 5, there is the Marshall Class 5, Blackheart BH5 and Epiphone Valve Junior.

All very different amps. All based on the Clubman…. a very basic bare circuit that you can do a lot with. For < $150 for the Bugera, there isn’t a better all-tube amp bargain out there.

Classic sound which is what the original was all about - not overly driven 60's beat sound (Think Kinks - All Day And All Of The Night).

There are several mods out there for the Blackheart and Epiphone VJ (such as Master volume and EQ), I suspect in time, we’ll see some for the V5 as well.

Cheers!

Jim

Jim, you are a newbie guitarist, so you say, and you are VERY knowledgable about amps! How so?

Jim, you are a newbie guitarist, so you say, and you are VERY knowledgable about amps! How so?

Well, I am a newbie player, but I know many guitarists (since my teens) and also know a little something about amps and electronics.

I design and manufacture retrofit LED lighting kits for classic cars - it's really my only 'job' now.

Am an engineer by training, not Electrical (though I never worked in engineering), also was involved with all sort of electronics/avionics as an airplane driver for the US Navy many years ago.

Plus, I'm 55+... from the analog age. Built many a Heathkit with my Dad growing up.

cheers!

Jim

I recently acquired a VHT Special 6 combo, which uses a 6V6 instead of the EL84 in the Bugera. They look very similar in features (other than the reverb on the Bugera) and specs. Is there enough difference between units like these to justify owning both?

What is there about the Bugera other than the price that makes it so attractive?

Brad

Slammer, if this was addressed to me about the Special 6, the lamp is red.

Brad

No Brad, I was just pulling his legs.

I recently acquired a VHT Special 6 combo, which uses a 6V6 instead of the EL84 in the Bugera. They look very similar in features (other than the reverb on the Bugera) and specs. Is there enough difference between units like these to justify owning both?

What is there about the Bugera other than the price that makes it so attractive?

Brad

I don't know the VHT, so it is difficult to say it it's worthwhile having both. I am very very happy with the little bugger bugera.

PSA: Guitar Center has the Bugera on sale for $149.99 and there looks like a 15% coupon that might bring the price down more! They usually don't let you use coupons on sale items, so check first if interested.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Bugera-V5-5W-1x8-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-105653901-i1470778.gc?source=4WDTWXX

Brad

Looks pretty similar so I'd say NO.

Can't tell for sure from the schematics, but looks to be a Class A variation

I like the 10" speaker and have thought about adding one to my Bug.

I'd have to 'slice' off the bottom of the Cab and insert about a 3" strip of MDF, Of cource that means new grill cloth and vinyl... easy-peasy with a table saw and a biscuit joiner which I have access to.

cheers!

Jim

Guest HRB853370

Slammer, if this was addressed to me about the Special 6, the lamp is red.

Brad

I was kidding Brad! I meant about the Bugera light being pink!

Guest HRB853370

PSA: Guitar Center has the Bugera on sale for $149.99 and there looks like a 15% coupon that might bring the price down more! They usually don't let you use coupons on sale items, so check first if interested.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Bugera-V5-5W-1x8-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-105653901-i1470778.gc?source=4WDTWXX

Usually they will not let you use a coupon on a sale item. But maybe there is an exception!

Archived