Heritage Owners Club

'08 Heritage CM-150 vs Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008 video comparison

morbidrockgod

I thought I'd share this video I made for a potential buyer of the Gibson featured (bought it just for that).

I have to admit that I was surprised how the quality got better, in comparison to the Gibbies USA made between 2008 and 2007 that I played when I lived in Northern California (and close to a few Guitar Center stores).

Though I think Duncan 59s sound very good, I really, really liked those Burstbucker Pro pickups, and am thinking about getting a set for my CM-150.

Please discount my sloppy playing and the use of a solid state amp (albeit of a "modeling" type) - it was too late at night to plug into a non-master volume tube amp...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=optMs4h0pis

I don't know if it is your mic, my headphones or maybe the modeling amp but they sound almost identical to me.

I would be curious to hear how do they compare acoustically and in terms of sustain too.

With all due respect, mrg,...the only way to A/B guitars (and amps, too) is to let the instruments be themselves. That won't happen if there is anything but guitar and amp in the chain, or, if the amp is high-gain, it's cranked. I want to hear the guitar...not the effect. I've looked at what seems like in excess of 137,264 guitar demo videos on youtube. I think 11 of them were simple, clean guitar/cord/amp demos. What's everybody thinking? The Bowie lick was cool. And I agree, regarding Burstbucker Pro's.

your playing is great, lots of cool licks there!!

that fizzy distortion hides any of the pickup character IMO; they both sound almost the same to me too....if I were comparing them I would use a cleaner setting, or wait until you can turn your tube amp up :D

that's a nice looking H150!!

Thanks for the comments. I agree with you about the excess distortion hiding the guitars and pickups character. I did it this way because I suspect most folks who are looking at buying the Gibby are going to play it distorted most of the time.

I recorded with a Shure SM57 pointed straight at the center of the cone, about a inch away.

The Gibby is very loud acoustically, as much as a Fender guitar actually. It is so light that the neck dives a bit. The Heritage sounds muted in comparison, it's one of my least acoustically loud guitars. I read that it is to be expected with thick solid body guitars.

I find that both guitars' sustain is about equal.

I'll make another video with a decent, clean tube amp with them again, if I don't sell the Gibby before I attempt to do that.

Thanks for the kind comments about my playing! Yeah, I'm sucker for vintage Whitesnake and Mick Ronson's work with Bowie :-)

Nice vid!

I have a chambered Heritage 150 with '59s. I can tell you that it will sustain as long as the biggest boat anchor out there (distorted). does pretty well clean, too.

To my ears, both guitars sound pretty similar, with almost no difference. I did detect a slight brightness for a very short amt of time with the Gibby.

With all due respect, mrg,...the only way to A/B guitars (and amps, too) is to let the instruments be themselves. That won't happen if there is anything but guitar and amp in the chain, or, if the amp is high-gain, it's cranked. I want to hear the guitar...not the effect. I've looked at what seems like in excess of 137,264 guitar demo videos on youtube. I think 11 of them were simple, clean guitar/cord/amp demos. What's everybody thinking? The Bowie lick was cool. And I agree, regarding Burstbucker Pro's.

Ok. Just finished uploading a vid with both guitars through a clean tube amp.

Couldn't really tell the difference again. But - depending on the setting and the volume on the amp - those Burstbucker Pros sound really smooth and defined.

Had to do it in a hurry because I'm about to close a deal on the Gibby.

Please discount my poor playing.

Cheers!

I like that the H150 has a little more mids. I personally would keep those pickups in the H150,

the BB's sound too thin for my tastes, IMHO of course.

To really hear the differences in guitars/pickups, I think you have wind up the amp a little more

than that. When the output tubes start working the differences will be revealed a little clearer.

I like that the H150 has a little more mids. I personally would keep those pickups in the H150,

the BB's sound too thin for my tastes, IMHO of course.

To really hear the differences in guitars/pickups, I think you have wind up the amp a little more

than that. When the output tubes start working the differences will be revealed a little clearer.

I think you're right. When I first heard the difference between both pickups I was playing rather loud. I should've recorded with my '59 Bassman RI, because it can be set almost cranked without distorting.

Archived