Heritage Owners Club

Comments On The Roy Clark Model

Stringman

Guys:

I am thinking of buying a Roy Clark Model from Wolfe Guitars. I am wondering if anyone else has one and can give comments on its good side and any bad sides.

I currently own an H-576 and have for many years. Just getting back into The Heritage Guitar groove.

Opinions really needed.

Thanks.

Stringman

The Roy Clark signature model has been presented in several versions. The early ones were single cutaway, floating block, rosewood board with split block inlays. Later ones went to ebony board and block inlays. They have also produced a limited (?) RC model looked like an ultra 535 with double cutaway. Not sure whether the block on that one is floating. I have the earliest version. It is a very fine guitar. Not sure if this is typical, but the neck is VERY slim, maybe the slimmest I've ever played. Here's a pic. Have tonepros on it now though. If you have any specific questions I'd be glad to answer. Good luck!

IMG_2925.jpg

The single cutaway version Is the best. I really don't know who designed it. But it is feedback resistant and provides better upper fret access than the 335 styled guitars with more warmth.

Neck sizes are all over the board. My current one has a medium neck with a D profile.

The single cutaway version Is the best. I really don't know who designed it. But it is feedback resistant and provides better upper fret access than the 335 styled guitars with more warmth.

Neck sizes are all over the board. My current one has a medium neck with a D profile.

Completely agree about the feedback and fret access. Mine also has a noticeably louder acoustic sound than my 535, probably because of the floating block. My neck profile could very well be a custom order, which would explain the extreme profile. Always best to play if you can, get an in hand evaluation if you can't. Can you post a link to the guitar you are looking at?

Guys:

Wolfe doesn't stock a Roy Clark. I am looking at having one built. I am sensitive to too small or too large necks and didn't know that Heritage produced various sizes accidentally. G&L certainly does this, but thought Heritage had more of a standard feel to them. That could prove to be a deal breaker right there. Once the guitar is made, I'm stuck. No chance of trying one prior to ordering a build.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Stringman

you're in michigan; visit the factory and ask to try some guitars on hand to find a neck contour you like. the H guys love to build to spec to achieve a happy buyer. good luck w/ your quest!

+1 on Eljay's advice, you're right around the corner!!

I owned a 576 for a while, it was a fantastic guitar, but my big hands wouldn't fit in the cutaway & I had problems with upper fret access...my hand kept getting jammed in there

so I sadly sold it...actually I traded it for a Gibson J200...which I eventually sold to get an R7 black beauty...which I then sold & eventually led me back to a custom Heritage H157 :D

I believe the Roy Clark is thinner front-to-back so I bet it would be less of an issue

A very long time ago -- I think in the 80s, not long after they got started, I called Heritage to ask them if they could make a guitar with a neck identical to an old Les Paul that I own. I'm not sure who I spoke with, but they said yes, of course. They said that I could bring it in, or just send them some measurements. They even told me that I could send them a xerox of my hand, and they would customize a neck for me (I'm not making this up). Now, I never could get the money together at the time to have one made, but if I lived anywhere near their plant and I was going to order a guitar, no matter what model it was, I would absolutely make a trip to the plant -- take your favorite guitar and I bet they will make you one with a neck just like it.

Guys:

Thanks to all of you guys for your fine answers. I think the best thing I can do is take a guitar to K-Zoo and have them pattern the neck profile from my favorite guitar. Now, all I have to do is figure out WHICH ONE THAT IS?

Could anyone estimate a weight of the Roy Clark on average? Is it an 8 pounder or lighter? Any ideas?

Thanks again, gang. I really appreciate the help.

Take care.

Stringman

Guys:

Thanks to all of you guys for your fine answers. I think the best thing I can do is take a guitar to K-Zoo and have them pattern the neck profile from my favorite guitar. Now, all I have to do is figure out WHICH ONE THAT IS?

Could anyone estimate a weight of the Roy Clark on average? Is it an 8 pounder or lighter? Any ideas?

Thanks again, gang. I really appreciate the help.

Take care.

Stringman

That's the best strategy. Or, you could find out when they're going to build yours and then take a guitar up there they could have as refererence when they do yours. Or, I might even ask if you could be on hand as they carve and contour the neck so you could verify it as they make it. I don't know if they would do the last bit but I think they have done it for some signature artists.

Marty, my 00 H155 is a Q13601

odds are yours and mine were bonding together in the rack down at Parsons St.

that is some looker you have, I love the natural, esp. that headstock.

My Roy Clark is 8.2 lbs. It has a maple neck that is a D carve with broad shoulders. It also has a Schaller bridge and TP. These features push the weight up a little.

I love to show it off. Who could ask for more?

20130125_130235.jpg?t=1363374304P1010001.jpg?t=136337439920130125_130349.jpg?t=1363374463P1010012.jpg?t=1359163596P1010007.jpg

Oh MY!!! That IS a looker alright. Could I get a tone report from that guitar?

Guys:

As posted above, care to give me a tone report on the Roy Clark Model? By comparison I own a 335 (Gibson) and a H-576 (Heritage). The 576 would share the semi-hollow, non attached center block design. Would the RC and the 576 sound alike? Thanks for your help and opinions.

The negative of the 576 is the "short neck", 20 fret design. Great for playing below the 12th fret, but hard to play above. Always feels like I'm missing some frets, which I am.

Take care.

Stringman

Guys:

As posted above, care to give me a tone report on the Roy Clark Model? By comparison I own a 335 (Gibson) and a H-576 (Heritage). The 576 would share the semi-hollow, non attached center block design. Would the RC and the 576 sound alike? Thanks for your help and opinions.

The negative of the 576 is the "short neck", 20 fret design. Great for playing below the 12th fret, but hard to play above. Always feels like I'm missing some frets, which I am.

Take care.

Stringman

Never played a 576 (want to tho) but my RC is "airier" and more acoustic than my 535. Lends itself better to the jazzier tones I prefer than the 535. I switched out the Schallers for Gibson 490s and string it with .010 semirounds, so my overall tone is not what you would get out of the factory. Like it a lot.

To DC Ron:

Thanks for your appraisal of the RC model. What you described sounds exactly like what I hear from my 576. Lots of air under the tones and can get very mellow on the neck pickup, much harsher on the bridge. I'm starting to think that having an RC would be redundant with the 335 and 576.

Again, thanks for jumping in, I really appreciate your information and opinion.

Take care.

Stringman

To DC Ron:

Thanks for your appraisal of the RC model. What you described sounds exactly like what I hear from my 576. Lots of air under the tones and can get very mellow on the neck pickup, much harsher on the bridge. I'm starting to think that having an RC would be redundant with the 335 and 576.

The RC is a hybrid of those two guitars. The H576 has a shorter fretboard (20 frets) and will feedback faster than the RC. But the sound is midway between the 335 and H576. And that's not a bad place to hang out!

The RC is a hybrid of those two guitars. The H576 has a shorter fretboard (20 frets) and will feedback faster than the RC. But the sound is midway between the 335 and H576. And that's not a bad place to hang out!

Completely agree with this. Would be negligent if I didn't reference what the RC sounds like in the hands of the namesake...

DC Ron:

That's a great clip!!! Thanks for posting.

I'm getting the idea that a RC would be too close in tone to my beloved 335. But, I have a wild idea and do not know if this would be possible. But, could Heritage put P-90's in an RC?

I only have one single coil guitar and am interested in getting another. Your thoughts on this mod?????

Thanks.

Stringman

^^^

bet they could. alternatively, consider the h530, blinged out to your preferences . . .

Archived