Heritage Owners Club

Heritage H535 coming

MorrisDavis

I'm a newbie here, but a long time Hamer and Gibson owner. I own a Hamer explorer and 4 very nice Gibsons. A 2006 R9 (my #1), a 2011 R0, a 2013 SG standard, and a 2012 Midtown Custom. I bought the midtown on a whim, it was $800 new. I'm so impressed with it I wanted to try a different semi-hollow, something like a 335. Everything I've read is that you have to play a bunch of 335s since they are all very different (true with Les Pauls BTW), but that Heritage nails the H535 and are much more consistently built. I've been curious about Heritage, so I bought the H535 recently sold on the forum. It should be here by Monday.

I'm not sure what to expect. Are there any "must" mods to get this instrument to its full potential? I'm prepared to do a pickup swap if I like the guitar. I have WCR godwood and crossroads set ready. Do I need to swap pots, caps, etc? This is a 2000 model, so its got (ugly!) Schaller bridge and stop piece.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to it. I'll post pics and a mini review.

Not a single must mod. When you get it in, let your hands and ears decide for you. Congrats!

+2

I don't know what pickups it has but the stock Schallers are good. Although I can't see putting a set of WCRs in it as a bad thing.

First off welcome and congrats on the upcoming NGD, let us know what you think.

No must do mods but it sounds like you don't like the Schaller hardware for cosmetic reasons. It is high quality stuff but I agree at least re the tailpiece, I'm not a fan. Some of us like the roller bridge though. It has it's idiosyncrasies (the rollers can move when changing strings..a little non permanent lock tite or notching will fix that or I just hold them steady when stringing). That said, it is good quality and gives a good break angle, the strings will not rub on the edge of the bridge. Some claim it robs sustain, I don't see it on my 157, rings plenty long.

Re pickups, give them a shot whatever they are, they are paid for at least and you may like them.

Not a single must mod. When you get it in, let your hands and ears decide for you. Congrats!

+3

While I prefer the look of other stop tail to Schallars, they work fine an are more comfrotable to rest the heel of you hand on while playing. The roller bridges offer greater control over string spacing and alignment with pickup pole pieces. The often maligned and sometimes appreciatied Schallar pickups can sound very good in these guitars.

First off welcome and congrats on the upcoming NGD, let us know what you think.

No must do mods but it sounds like you don't like the Schaller hardware for cosmetic reasons. It is high quality stuff but I agree at least re the tailpiece, I'm not a fan. Some of us like the roller bridge though. It has it's idiosyncrasies (the rollers can move when changing strings..a little non permanent lock tite or notching will fix that or I just hold them steady when stringing). That said, it is good quality and gives a good break angle, the strings will not rub on the edge of the bridge. Some claim it robs sustain, I don't see it on my 157, rings plenty long.

Re pickups, give them a shot whatever they are, they are paid for at least and you may like them.

Looking back, I wish I kept the roller bridge on every one I replaced (all two of them LOL!) reason being is some bridge pickups have wider pole spacing then others. You can adjust the saddles to properly align. To further add to the point, the roller bridge is also nice if you are inclined to switch the tailpiece to a Bigsby Vibrato or similar system...

Archived