Heritage Owners Club

G string is slipping.

bilbal

I wish I could say it is my girlfriend's "G string" but no suck luck - LOL!!!! :wink:

I have noticed that my G is falling out of tune pretty much constantly. When I try to tune it, it makes a creaking noise and then slips considerably out of tune. It's almost like the string is caught and then releases, only to be further out of tune; If that makes any sense. Once I do finally get it in tune, it only takes a slight bend to throw it back out of tune. This happened on my 335 and it seemed to just "go away" after awhile. Has anyone had this problem? I'm gonna restring and polish her tomorrow. If it continues, what should I do? Could it be a bad nut or tuning peg? I'm not freaking out but it does have me concerned.

Please - a little help?

Bill (bilbal)

I wish I could say it is my girlfriend's "G string" but no suck luck - LOL!!!! :wink:

I have noticed that my G is falling out of tune pretty much constantly. When I try to tune it, it makes a creaking noise and then slips considerably out of tune. It's almost like the string is caught and then releases, only to be further out of tune; If that makes any sense. Once I do finally get it in tune, it only takes a slight bend to throw it back out of tune. This happened on my 335 and it seemed to just "go away" after awhile. Has anyone had this problem? I'm gonna restring and polish her tomorrow. If it continues, what should I do? Could it be a bad nut or tuning peg? I'm not freaking out but it does have me concerned.

Please - a little help?

Bill (bilbal)

If the string is catching at the nut, pull the string out of the groove and rub a pencil lead across the groove to capture the graphite.  Put the string back in place.

bilbal:

Go to the "search" space at the top of this page.  Search the word "tuning."  There have been several threads on this very topic that include a wide range of suggestions and the wisdom of broad experience.  First, the easy one.  Tomorrow, when you restring, rub a little chapstick into the nut groove for the troublesome string.  I'd do the "G," "B," and "E."

When you take the G string off, take a pencil and rub some of the graphite into the nut slot.  This will provide some lubrication and hopefully keep the string from being pinched in the slot.  If that doesn't work take it to a luthier, they will either refile the slot or install a new properly slotted nut if necessary.  If you need a new nut ask for a bone one, they tend to have fewer problems.

I'm sorry guys, I didn't even think to do a search. I have been around these types of boards enough to know that. I'm just not thinking straight tonight - MY SINCERE APOLOGIES.

Thank you for the suggestions, I'm gonna give them a try. I'll let ya know what I discover.

Again... sorry.

Bill

That was easy - knock,knock,knock (on wood). I loosened the g,b, and e strings - clean the slots / put chapstick in them / restrung and tuned. Presto, success. What did that take, 5 minutes (if that)?

Thanks guys. I hope all my "problems" will be of this nature.  8)

Lovin' my H535,

Bill

My g string slippage is back. It's very strange, I changed the strings and other than the normal slippage when you first put new strings on, the problem went away. Lat night and now this afternoon again, the g just will not stay in tune. I called the store where my H535 was purchased and they are going to take a look at it and will do all repairs that are needed. That said, upon further review of the nut slots, I notice that the E,A, and D seem to rest on top of the nut while the others seem to ride within the slots. Which is correct, or are they both wrong? This is the first time in my 30+ years I have ever had this problem. Oops sorry, my 335 did the exact same thing no that I think about it.

Please help,

Bill

The bottom 3 wound strings more on top of nut sounds right.  Can roughly check the nut clearance of the top 3 unwounds by tuning to pitch, then doing a "bend" behind the nut by pushing down on the string to raise it's pitch.  If the slot is too tight, the string likely won't return to pitch after released but remain sharp.  Since you describe a slippage, it doesn't really sound as if the slot is too tight or requires additional lubrication.

Is the nut that holds the g-string tuner peg to the headstock tight?

It's strange. At the point where the string first comes in contact with the nut (fret side) it seems that the string rides in the slot. The ohter side where the string exits the nut, it seems like it's on top of it and has very little contact with the nut (slot) at all. I will try to take a picture but I doubt I will get the detail we need to discuss it. I'll try though.

Be right back with pictures,

Bill

Wow Southpaw, thanks for that technique video. I will start threading the strings like that now - cool thanks again. That's the first time I have ever seen it done that way but I like the fact that it performs an locking method naturally. That sid, I really think it has something to do with the nut in my case. Take a look at these pictures I was able to get. I think it shows how the g is sitting (or not sitting) in the slot correctly. Let me know if the pictures are good enough.

width=600 height=450http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc178/williamballato/IMG_1863.jpg[/img]

width=600 height=450http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc178/williamballato/IMG_1862.jpg[/img]

width=600 height=450http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc178/williamballato/IMG_1865.jpg[/img]

width=600 height=450http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc178/williamballato/IMG_1861.jpg[/img]

width=600 height=450http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc178/williamballato/IMG_1860.jpg[/img]

Thanks

Bill

I think the problem is the nut.  The string should not contact the slot along its entire surface, as seems to be the case with your g-string in particular.  The slot should slope away such that the string actually rests on the nut only at the front edge, towards the fingerboard.  Otherwise, tiny variations in the surface of the slot in effect change the scale of the string; depending on how hard you hit the string, the length of string that actually vibrates changes.  If the string is actually vibrating from a point further back on the nut, it is going to sound flat.  A good luthier with a sharp file can fix this in a flash.  (unless the entire slot is too low, but the picture doesn't appear to indicate that problem.)  Whoever did the final setup on the guitar (or last filed the nut slots) seems to have missed a step. 

(at least this is my best guess without the guitar in hand)

What kind of tailpiece does it have?  I had the same problem with my H150 until Ren swapped out the Schaller tailpiece with a tuneamatic-type.  stays in tune great now.  Do you live far from Kalamazoo?  If not, take it in to the plant and Ren will get it solved in about 2 minutes. 

I live in CT. I'm bringing it to the shop tomorrow and I'm sure they will straighten it out. If not, they will have it fixed either by their luthier or by sending it to Ren. I'm not concerned at all but it is kind of a drag to have to retune after every lick.

Oh well, it will be fixed in no time!!!

I'll let you all know what happens as soon as I know.

Bill

I had the same problem with my 535, & have seem it many times. As others have suggested, it's most likely the nut, & easily repairable. It most probably will be either too tight, or like mine, only riding on the fretboard side of the nut, & not in line with the tuner. A decent repairman (or woman, gotta be PC) can fill, & re-cut the slot. I did this on my 535, with all intentions of installing a bone nut (my hobby is building acoustic guitars, so I have bone blanks), but it sounds & works fine as is, so I never got around to it. Also, not to start an arguement, but the slot should be ramped with an ever so slight curve that the string should ride. This prevents pre-mature wear to the nut, along with possible other problems that people suggest, but I don't totally by into.

I'm also in Ct. Who is carrying Heritage in these parts?.......don

Alpha Audio Works in Mystic, CT. It's owned and operated by a couple friends of mine - Randy and Andy. Check it out. They are great guys and will treat you right. Tell them I sent you if you would like - Bill Ballato.

Along with Heritage, they sell mostly boutique amps and guitars. They have some really nice pieces come in all the time and also have stock of similar items. It's a cool little shop and they'll hook you up.

http://www.alphaaudioworks.com/

Phone: 860-572-0460

It ain't rocket science, but I wouldn't practice on a new guitar. Nut slotting files make the job a whole lot simpler, but according to Dan Erlewine, not necessarily needed for unwound strings. I've used gauged saws on my own guitars in the past for the unwound strings to experiment, & agreed with Mr Erlewine (though I did file new nuts later). It is certainly something you could learn quickly, but I would practice on a tag sale guitar, or ask your friends at the music shop to let you watch next time they cut a nut.....don

Archived