Heritage Owners Club

Mesa Express Plus 5:25

If anyone is looking for a change in their amp lineup, I'd suggest looking seriously at the Mesa Express Plus 5:25. I bought one about six months ago and love it. It's so darn versatile and with tubes, it's the best sounding tube amp I've seen yet.

I' have owned Fenders, Marshalls, Sovtek, Egnater, Carvin and more, but this Express Plus by far meets the needs I have. The sound it outstanding. I bought just the head as I have several speaker cabs with various speakers, so I can match as I need a certain sound.

Just thought I'd share that with all of you. It's rugged, portable and has lots of head room for those big room gigs.

Enjoy.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried one out a couple years ago when I was buying my Swart STR--sounded fantastic! If I already didn't have my Mesa LSS, I'd buy the Express 5:25+.

I also have an Express 5:50 (not the plus) but it is the 2 by 12 speaker combo. Great Amp, absolutely beautiful clean and light break up sounds but fairly average Hi Gain sounds... I got pedals for that.. lol

attachicon.gifP1220160.JPG

post-918-0-32357000-1376298218.jpg

There's a MESA dealer within about a 40 minute drive from me, no mean feat in Ireland, and the lower powered MESA combos are his biggest selling valve amps.

post-918-0-32357000-1376298218.jpg

There's a MESA dealer within about a 40 minute drive from me, no mean feat in Ireland, and the lower powered MESA combos are his biggest selling valve amps.

Not too surprising. Well, that you have a MESA dealer in Ireland might be a bit surprising. But that the MESA's sell well, no surprise. My fav MnP (a recent GC victim) sold both Heritage guitars and MESA amps. They couldn't keep the amps in stock. What eventually ended their MESA dealership was the inability to deal off the list price. The Price is the Price on MESA's. The only way to discount was to offer more on trade.

Anytime I see anything with the Mesa Engineering lable on it, that thing is always signifigantly more expensive than a comprable item, (apples-->apples, oranges-->oranges)

What is the actual reason Mesa's cost so much? Fancy-pants internal wiring? Brand name? Made from exotic meteorite meterials? What?

Anytime I see anything with the Mesa Engineering lable on it, that thing is always signifigantly more expensive than a comprable item, (apples-->apples, oranges-->oranges)

What is the actual reason Mesa's cost so much? Fancy-pants internal wiring? Brand name? Made from exotic meteorite meterials? What?

Depends on what you call comparable. Part of the cost is because they can. Another part is because they must. Another part is they don't allow for 'deals' by the dealer.

Now, if you are saying you have an amp that seemingly has all the same features as Mesa amp model 'X' and there is a notable price jump, that might be easily explained by the 'Made in..." statement on the back. American labor costs more than, say, Vietnamese. That'd do it. Look at other higher end American amp makers that truly do make their amps in the US and I don't think you will find Mesa's prices out of step. You might actually find them a little cheaper if only negligible. Soldano, Fryette.... etc.

Are they worth it? I guess that depends on the buyer.

Depends on what you call comparable. Part of the cost is because they can. Another part is because they must. Another part is they don't allow for 'deals' by the dealer.

Now, if you are saying you have an amp that seemingly has all the same features as Mesa amp model 'X' and there is a notable price jump, that might be easily explained by the 'Made in..." statement on the back. American labor costs more than, say, Vietnamese. That'd do it. Look at other higher end American amp makers that truly do make their amps in the US and I don't think you will find Mesa's prices out of step. You might actually find them a little cheaper if only negligible. Soldano, Fryette.... etc.

I agree with the "Made in| America" price reasoning. My Mesa Express Plus 5:25 head was about $1,100 USD. I bought a brand new Marshall MG100HFX head (100 watts and with bells/whistles) for only $250. Both have different sounds of course, even on the same speaker cabinet (2 X 12's) This Marshall head was made in Vietnam. Also, the Marshall is all solid state..... no tubes. Easier to produce. But it sounds good and has some nice features, if you like the Marshall sound.

I agree with the "Made in| America" price reasoning. My Mesa Express Plus 5:25 head was about $1,100 USD. I bought a brand new Marshall MG100HFX head (100 watts and with bells/whistles) for only $250. Both have different sounds of course, even on the same speaker cabinet (2 X 12's) This Marshall head was made in Vietnam. Also, the Marshall is all solid state..... no tubes. Easier to produce. But it sounds good and has some nice features, if you like the Marshall sound.

Yeah. That will certainly jack the price up plenty. If a less expensive amp works for your, regardless of where it was made, then bingo. You have your winner for less bucks. :)

The MG100 isn't apples to apples but you'd see a notable price difference even if it was tube and comparable in function and performance to a Mesa 'name your model'.

It's all in what moves you. Some people really like to have their stuff to be MIA for whatever that means to them. Others just want the amp their hero uses. Some just want something they can easily afford guilt free.

Me? I just want an amp that moves me. The cost I can deal with. It might take me some time, but I can deal with that. I'd rather have one amp that just moves me than 3 or 4 that can cover all kinds of amp territory.

Clearly an all tube hand wired Made in USA Mesa Express Plus 5:25 is in a completely different category than a solid state Asian made MG100HFX so I can understand that difference. When I asked the question, I didn't realize that anyone made any amplification products in the USA except for maybe Carvin, but even if they were both made overseas, they are still in different ballparks. I've barely ever heard of Soldano (heard the name, don't know anything about them) and never heard of Fryett.

Here's where I'm comming from... Back when I was in the market for a 2x12 speaker cabinet (no amp), as well as a 4x12 cabinet, I looked at as many different brands as I could discover through internet searches and that is when I most notably observed that Mesa seemed to always have a much higher price tag than everyone else I found.

Yeah. That will certainly jack the price up plenty. If a less expensive amp works for your, regardless of where it was made, then bingo. You have your winner for less bucks. :)

The MG100 isn't apples to apples but you'd see a notable price difference even if it was tube and comparable in function and performance to a Mesa 'name your model'.

It's all in what moves you. Some people really like to have their stuff to be MIA for whatever that means to them. Others just want the amp their hero uses. Some just want something they can easily afford guilt free.

Me? I just want an amp that moves me. The cost I can deal with. It might take me some time, but I can deal with that. I'd rather have one amp that just moves me than 3 or 4 that can cover all kinds of amp territory.

Correct. What moves me is the Mesa Express Plus 5:25. I bought the Marshall and it's in the closed back in the box. I have it for sale on Craig's List for $215 with about 30 minutes of play on it. I really like the tube sound and what can be done driving it differently.

I did notice that I liked the sound from the expensive Marshall 1960 4x12 cabinet that I have now over either of the less expensive models of Marshall 4x12 cabinets I've owned previously.

I did notice that I liked the sound from the expensive Marshall 1960 4x12 cabinet that I have now over either of the less expensive models of Marshall 4x12 cabinets I've owned previously.

Yeah. Sometimes it works out that way. I have had rigs and know others who'd have a top end cabinet and a budget model amp with a mid level guitar. It just worked for them. Sometimes it was economics that had the rigs the way it was and sometimes it wasn't.

Clearly an all tube hand wired Made in USA Mesa Express Plus 5:25 is in a completely different category than a solid state Asian made MG100HFX so I can understand that difference. When I asked the question, I didn't realize that anyone made any amplification products in the USA except for maybe Carvin, but even if they were both made overseas, they are still in different ballparks. I've barely ever heard of Soldano (heard the name, don't know anything about them) and never heard of Fryett.

Here's where I'm comming from... Back when I was in the market for a 2x12 speaker cabinet (no amp), as well as a 4x12 cabinet, I looked at as many different brands as I could discover through internet searches and that is when I most notably observed that Mesa seemed to always have a much higher price tag than everyone else I found.

Yup. Several US based amp manufacturers. The guts of the amps are sourced from all over the place though. Some parts just can't be gotten from US origin.

FWIW, Mesa prices do tend to make people accidentally swallow their gum. haha.

Correct. What moves me is the Mesa Express Plus 5:25. I bought the Marshall and it's in the closed back in the box. I have it for sale on Craig's List for $215 with about 30 minutes of play on it. I really like the tube sound and what can be done driving it differently.

Yeah. I am really digging the 5w setting on the Clean voice of channel 1. I'd call that my optimum tone. Thing is, it is very low volume. Should I need more kick, I leave the settings as they are but bump it to 50w and then I can get a similar tone but louder. The 5w setting just gets too gnarly when getting the volume up. ...but that's expected.

I play in ensembles with a local school, have been for years. All sorts of rigs come through over time. Took a 70's hard rock class a while back, some of you may recall the set list from our public performance.

Point being in THAT class was this super quiet, big, burly dude with massive sausage fingers. Looked like an Oregon lumber truck driver, if that makes any sense. Very out of place in this school, usually home to aging hippies, yuppies, or hipsters. He sat in the corner with an R8 and a 5:25. No pedals, nothing. Little combo. it is, too. Thought it'd be some high gain noodling.

tore. it. up. .

this guy knew exactly what he was doing, every bit worthy of the gear. The 5:25 was an unknown quantity to me. I asked him about the amp and he put it through it's paces, GREAT cleans, even with the humbuckers, and the variety of driven tones was amazing, and due in no small part to his abilities.

I went home to research the amp, and it's at the top of my lust list. It isn't cheap but it seems to be worth the cost.

Glad you're enjoying it Cobra.

I play in ensembles with a local school, have been for years. All sorts of rigs come through over time. Took a 70's hard rock class a while back, some of you may recall the set list from our public performance.

Point being in THAT class was this super quiet, big, burly dude with massive sausage fingers. Looked like an Oregon lumber truck driver, if that makes any sense. Very out of place in this school, usually home to aging hippies, yuppies, or hipsters. He sat in the corner with an R8 and a 5:25. No pedals, nothing. Little combo. it is, too. Thought it'd be some high gain noodling.

tore. it. up. .

this guy knew exactly what he was doing, every bit worthy of the gear. The 5:25 was an unknown quantity to me. I asked him about the amp and he put it through it's paces, GREAT cleans, even with the humbuckers, and the variety of driven tones was amazing, and due in no small part to his abilities.

I went home to research the amp, and it's at the top of my lust list. It isn't cheap but it seems to be worth the cost.

Glad you're enjoying it Cobra.

Very much worth it to me. I have the 5:50 model. Very sweet.

Very much worth it to me. I have the 5:50 model. Very sweet.

the 5:50's seem to be more common. 3 of them for sale on the local craigslist right now.

I don't know about the rest of ya'll, but I have a short list of search terms I drop into the CL search box when I have a minute.

since this class, "mesa express" is one of them, and I've never seen the 5:25 come up.

the 5:50's seem to be more common. 3 of them for sale on the local craigslist right now.

I don't know about the rest of ya'll, but I have a short list of search terms I drop into the CL search box when I have a minute.

since this class, "mesa express" is one of them, and I've never seen the 5:25 come up.

Those that have them seem to really dig them. My personal opinion on that is I think people who get the 5:50 are generally expecting something different than what they get yet people that get the 5:25 seem to be getting what they expect. ...if that makes sense.

I think many were seeing potential in the 5:50 as being a less expensive alternative to the Mark or Rectifier series (high gain tones) only to be dissapointed. Those that get the amp for its Clean setting seem to be pretty content with it. I am ok with the 5:50 higher gain tones.... but I won't ever honestly use high gain so I don't honestly care much how good or bad it is. I can see the voice switch on Channel 1 eventually freezing on the Clean setting because it never gets used. haha.

Few people on this forum were able to hear the clean tones of my single rectifier.

I think they would agree with my raving about them.

Naturally while the clean tones are really really good, the boost is just out of this world.

I believe that the absolutely incredible boost levels gave a reputation to these amps as being able ONLY to reproduce great crunch.

That is not the case at all. IMHO

Archived