Heritage Owners Club

Mesa Express Plus 5:25

Few people on this forum were able to hear the clean tones of my single rectifier.

I think they would agree with my raving about them.

Naturally while the clean tones are really really good, the boost is just out of this world.

I believe that the absolutely incredible boost levels gave a reputation to these amps as being able ONLY to reproduce great crunch.

That is not the case at all. IMHO

Agreed. I dug the cleans from the TA30 and Mark V too.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Few people on this forum were able to hear the clean tones of my single rectifier.

Naturally while the clean tones are really really good, the boost is just out of this world.

I believe that the absolutely incredible boost levels gave a reputation to these amps as being able ONLY to reproduce great crunch.

A drummer in one of my older bands used to have a Dual Rec. The cleans were astounding! And so was the "Vintage" setting. I think sometimes people are too ingrained with thinking Mesa means metal. Their amps are capable of SO much more.

Esrlier the higher Mesa prices were passed off as "Made in America." At Mesa, that means milspec parts as much as possible, very... sturdy printed circuit boards, overall durable build with premium quality instead of skating by parts stuffed, and if you are a Mesa certified tech easy enough to work on or find out how to fix on the Mesa forum, nice folks like here. Mesa has their signature dirty tones, what they are not known for is how staggeringly good some of their clean amp tones are. American modern production before the economic turndown and 9/11 still today competing globally on the principle of distinctive, native competence.

Esrlier the higher Mesa prices were passed off as "Made in America." At Mesa, that means milspec parts as much as possible, very... sturdy printed circuit boards, overall durable build with premium quality instead of skating by parts stuffed, and if you are a Mesa certified tech easy enough to work on or find out how to fix on the Mesa forum, nice folks like here. Mesa has their signature dirty tones, what they are not known for is how staggeringly good some of their clean amp tones are. American modern production before the economic turndown and 9/11 still today competing globally on the principle of distinctive, native competence.

Yep. I am on that forum and have been since I got some good time in on some Mesa amps late last year. I'm not all that active on it, but, for the most part, real helpful folks.

...and, indeed, sturdier parts will QUICKLY drive up the cost of a build. When I was resourcing a Champ type build not long ago, I was surprised at just how quickly all the little doo-dads got the build around $500. ...and that wasn't even using premium stuff. Once you started getting Mercury Magnetics involved or something, it just went bananas.

I've also got a Single Rec and I agree, the cleans are nearly as good as the Fender's. The distortion is nearly as good as the double and triple rec's. But if you are willing to step away from the face peeling distortion there is an amp that will reach an altogether higher level of Nirvana in cleans and crunch. The Mesa Lone Star Classic 2x12 is 50/100W of pure bliss.

Strange! You are notoriously immune.

You don't own any Mesa? You should!

For a very long time, decades, there was no MESA dealer in the Irish Republic they were only available through one UK dealer that was in theory supposed to also cover Ireland. But they weren't in any stores. Then maybe 10 years ago one Irish dealer, that I'm aware of, was able to get new MESAs via a store in the north of Ireland.

So they were never seen in stores here, only on TV etc. And the prices were off the charts, insane actually. Now with online shopping I see there are maybe half a dozen Irish shops that are MESA dealers. I haven't visited any of those but if they're anything like their Gibson counterparts they probably only stock one or two models and everything else is available to order. So I probably couldn't try out a Lonestar Classic or whatever unless I wanted to buy it without trying it first.

As for being immune to GAS .... I wish !

WOW.... I opened this thread as a suggestion. I really didn't know that so many already had Mesa amps or that there was that much interest. Bravo... I like the discussion and interest.

Thanks guys !!

WOW.... I opened this thread as a suggestion. I really didn't know that so many already had Mesa amps or that there was that much interest. Bravo... I like the discussion and interest.

Thanks guys !!

So far I have/had:

Mesa F50 (gone)

Mesa Maverick Prototype (gone)

Mesa Lonestar "Classic" #40 (at home. love it, too heavy as i get older)

Mesa TransAltantic w/Mesa 112 Wide body cab (my workhorse amp)

Thanks guys !!

The Express is the only one I have ever owned. Mesa, for your average guitarist, is considered unobtainium as they do not come cheap and the used market is kind to them. I am not saying they aren't worth it nor are they unreasonable. I am only saying most guitarists have a hard time coughing up the dough.

I've owned...

Mesa Boogie Mark I

Mesa Boogie Studio 22+

Mesa DC3

Mesa DC2

The Studio 22+ was probably my favorite gigger of all time but was stolen. I never

used the dirty channel on it as it was always used with a Matchless Hotbox. I used

to great great tone from that combo! The DC2 is pretty close in tone.

Mesa 5:25

Mesa Transatlantic 15

Mesa TA 30 2x12 combo

Mesa Mini Rectifier

Mesa Mark V

OUCH that's a bad habit of tone hoarding........

What do you think of the TA15 compared to the TA30? The Mini Rec has a certain appeal, too.

My Boogie DC2 has seen plenty of big stage time, it's one of my favorite slide amps, although I too only use it for one tone,

which is kind of AC30ish. It sounds great with my pedal board!!!

PuckPoster.jpg

MeAndMyZemaitis2.jpg

Lookin' good Dan!

The TA 30 is awesome. A big brother to the 15. It is much heavier but has a great effect loop and reverb. I find myself using the lighter and easier to move around TA 15. A buddy of mine who builds amps has told me that the transatlantic amps should never be sold..they are great amps to own and hang onto.

What's the difference between the Express and Express Plus?

I have a 5:25 combo that is fantastic. I love how british the EL-84s sound as compared to the 6L6 driven 5:50.

Run it through a 4x12 and it can handle heavy metal. Run it alone and it can handle anything else. My favorite amp I've owned thus far.

My Mesa Boogie DC-5 is a beast of many colors. The clean channel alone has a pull boost plus additional switchable EQ. The gain is monstrous. I rarely turn it past 5. With it's numerous tweaking possibilities it has way more sounds than I've even got around to trying.

And these are going dirt cheap used for some reason. Carlos was right. These amps boogie.

What's the difference between the Express and Express Plus?

I have a 5:25 combo that is fantastic. I love how british the EL-84s sound as compared to the 6L6 driven 5:50.

Run it through a 4x12 and it can handle heavy metal. Run it alone and it can handle anything else. My favorite amp I've owned thus far.

I don't own an Express Plus but, from what I've seen and read, the Plus differs from my standard Express in that the graphic eq, solo boost and 3rd power stage was added. I also hear that the Clean channel was updated for less hiss. The hiss on the original Express is no doubt there but it doesn't annoy me.

I'm considering getting the Plus so I can have a second that is the same but different.

Archived