Heritage Owners Club

Calling all gurus of ampli-ness, advice

big bob

Just one of the trick with effects loops. I do this on my Fryette Memphis. You should check, but most series loops are jumpered internally if nothing is plugged in, so you don't even need a patch cable to do this. You're not hurting your amp at all, just discovering more versatility.

This wont let you "drive" your power amp tubes, it will however let you drive your pre amp tubes, but a master volume already does this for you.
An attenuator soaks up power that would normally be delivered to your speakers, thereby letting you crank up the power amp tubes, and allowing them to saturate. I have a Marshall power brake you can barrow.

191488_marshall-pb100-power-brake-1.jpg

marshall-pb100-power-brake-92952.jpg

Yes, you are dubious. Works like a charm don't it.

BG - I was in line at guitar denter with a used one of those (~$150 or so, seemed like a good price). A leather-clad young man in line behind me said "Dude, I had one of those, it fried my amp's transformer in no time!" Because he was much larger than me, I replaced it and left the store. Later I got to thinking: that fool just had it wired for too low resistance; what an idiot. He deserves to burn out his tranny - just like I almost did at our post-PSP get-together. Oops... By the by... Nice box! :)

I use the power brake for recording. It works great. I can get a great amp sound without upsetting the dogs, neighbors and the ocean tides. By the way speaking of our post PSP jam, what was that amp of yours I was playing through. If you don't want to sell it were can I get one.

I use the power brake for recording. It works great. I can get a great amp sound without upsetting the dogs, neighbors and the ocean tides. By the way speaking of our post PSP jam, what was that amp of yours I was playing through. If you don't want to sell it were can I get one.

That was a sonic machine factory, 30 watter I think.

That was a sonic machine factory, 30 watter I think.

'Tws the 15 Watt. You have an advanced sense for tuning in amps; perhaps I can get lessons...

Head out in the morning!

Watch out for sharks. And cougars! The cougars in Daytona will chew you up and spit you out in the blink of an eye. Especially the ones that hang out at the local ABC Liquor Lounge.

Just one of the trick with effects loops. I do this on my Fryette Memphis. You should check, but most series loops are jumpered internally if nothing is plugged in, so you don't even need a patch cable to do this. You're not hurting your amp at all, just discovering more versatility.

The effects loop on the carr is very simple. It has a send and return jacks, a send level pot and a return level push pull pot that acts as an on off. If the loop is left on with no cables or effects, the signal gets lost.

The only reason I tried using the loop as a master volume is because the clean channel on the amp has no master volume. The dirt side has a master volume, but not the clean side.

Lance,

The idea you have about using the loop for your overall master has been around since Howard Alexander Dumble invented the Dumbulator. It's a tube effects buffer. They are the secret tone weapon when using a D-clone, most D-style amps are easier to control on stage with a 'lator set up, particularly 100 watt and plus models. Ceriatone does up a very nice clone, called the C-lator, uses a 12ax7, and in addition, less expensive, more compact, similar function and controls, solid state Kleinulator, also available from Ceriatone. I have a C-lator, and on amps with the type of loop you have it can do exactly what you are wanting, overall master volume control for the whole amp. That is exactly what a 'lator is designed to do. I'm going to have to unpack a brand new handwired Marshall 2550 Jubilee clone when I get back to Utah, and that c-lator is going to be hooked up to compare how it does against the amp's master volume. Worth the money to get one of those IMHO. Lots of the D-guys are getting custom head cabs with the cutouts to mount the 'lator in with the power amp.

Lance,

The idea you have about using the loop for your overall master has been around since Howard Alexander Dumble invented the Dumbulator. It's a tube effects buffer. They are the secret tone weapon when using a D-clone, most D-style amps are easier to control on stage with a 'lator set up, particularly 100 watt and plus models. Ceriatone does up a very nice clone, called the C-lator, uses a 12ax7, and in addition, less expensive, more compact, similar function and controls, solid state Kleinulator, also available from Ceriatone. I have a C-lator, and on amps with the type of loop you have it can do exactly what you are wanting, overall master volume control for the whole amp. That is exactly what a 'lator is designed to do. I'm going to have to unpack a brand new handwired Marshall 2550 Jubilee clone when I get back to Utah, and that c-lator is going to be hooked up to compare how it does against the amp's master volume. Worth the money to get one of those IMHO. Lots of the D-guys are getting custom head cabs with the cutouts to mount the 'lator in with the power amp.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I feel a little research on my part might be in order.

By all means, join the amp garage forum and remain silent for a while, diligence of researching the first pages of posts in the Dumble and Trainwreck forum topics is considered necessary new member entry dues paying. You will find using the search function there to be both helpful and exasperating, also youtube clips with Marinblues performing a demonstration of a C-lator through a Dumble clone might provide some. At the ceriatone site there is a manual for the c-lator online.

If you are looking for an attenuator, I would definitely go check out what Weber has. They have several versions of attenuators, with ones that use both resistors and ones that use speaker motors for attenuation. They also make a good note on the page stating that if you are gonna dime your amp all the time, of course you're gonna go through tubes faster, so stop blaming attenuators for when your amp burns up.

http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm

anywho, how your amp is wired will determine whether you can get any meaningful amount of extra gain from putting a volume control in the effects loop. it also should be noted that how the power amp section is wired determines how much power tube distortion, if any, you can get. I have been told by various amp gurus and techs that the phase inverter tubes usually go into overdrive before the power tubes will on most current designs.

By all means, join the amp garage forum and remain silent for a while, diligence of researching the first pages of posts in the Dumble and Trainwreck forum topics is considered necessary new member entry dues paying. You will find using the search function there to be both helpful and exasperating, also youtube clips with Marinblues performing a demonstration of a C-lator through a Dumble clone might provide some. At the ceriatone site there is a manual for the c-lator online.

Hey Mavguy, Thanks for that advice. I joined today and it is chock full of good info. Spent some time on the Guide to NOS and Vintage Tubes section.

Has occurred to me that one can spend too much time accumulating guitars while neglecting the amp side of things.

Yep, 90% of electric guitar players don't know jack about the back of the jack. Interesting because that's the other half of the instrument. I'm guilty, but am working on it...

BTW, The Marshall 2550 Jubilee clone with the Ceriatone turret board, mongo American iron in it arrived, was glorious.

• 1 month later...

Hey!! How do you like that memphis?

Archived