Heritage Owners Club

Added a Marshall 1960b Cabinet

HANGAR18

So much for being GAS free. This weekend I picked up a used Marshall JCM 900, 1960b, 4x12 cabinet to go with the "a" cabinet I already had. Clearly this was done to satisfy my ego because, when the hell am I ever going to need this much firepower? This reminds me of that one guitar scene in the original "Back to the Future" movie.

Sitting on top of the cabinets is an all-tube Carvin V3 three channel 100W amp... for two reasons...

1. I really like the Carvin V3, especially its versatility.

2. I can't afford all tube 3 channel, made in England, 100W Marshall head.

I noticed two things from looking at this photograph I hadn't noticed before.

The stack is almost as tall as the entry way into the dining room and when the light from the flash is brighter than the ambient room light, the speaker cones are a lot more visible. It almost makes the tolex screens invisible.

post-679-0-82784600-1378638661_thumb.jpg

Aj Yes! Now you can go aps$hit on buying every imaginable speaker combination "recommended" on the internet. Know what's funny? After spending millions on speakers, you'll probably find you did like the G12T-75s that come stock. Beware the temptation...

By the by... That looks formidable! I love it :) Next step is to turn it past 1:00 and try to walk into the room with either an Eagle or Sweet 16. It's a lot like lion taming.

Aj Yes! Now you can go aps$hit on buying every imaginable speaker combination "recommended" on the internet. Know what's funny? After spending millions on speakers, you'll probably find you did like the G12T-75s that come stock. Beware the temptation...

By the by... That looks formidable! I love it :) Next step is to turn it past 1:00 and try to walk into the room with either an Eagle or Sweet 16. It's a lot like lion taming.

Ah yes, I did try other speakers and yes, I do like these speakers in these specific cabinets quite a bit.

So, on the 50W setting, I gradually started turning up the volume, the dog excused herself from the room and went outside, and then I got it up to 6 on the volume dial to test the cabinets together. I only played for a few minutes and my ears really felt it. Those speakers really move a lot of air!

Looks awesome! I've been thinking about adding a Mesa straight 4x12 cab to the slant 4x12 I already have. I really don't need that kind of firepower, either, but it looks cool!

Archived