Heritage Owners Club

Would you spend this much on reverb cables?

H

Yeah !! Next they'll come out with a special cable just for acoustic guitars and another one for solid body guitars and one for semi-hollow body guitars. And people will buy them Unbelievable how people are to trusting and gullible. Sorry folks, wire is wire is wire.

Couldn't believe that when I saw Fender cables for acoustic, then electric, and bass at my local shop. I was like wt..... :icon_shaking2:

Well, it's a loose leaf blend we get from a local deli - a mix of Assam, Darjeeling and some others. I'm quite partial to PG Tips at work :)

Can't post a YouTube link from my phone for some reason :-/ I was trying to post one of those 1970s PG Tips chimp adverts - the one with the piano....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNslTmBRuww

and another for good measure ...

:icon_sunny:

Hey guys, don't let science get into this analysis. You know they're better cables. My god, look at the price! They HAVE to be better...

Interesting! The QSC engineers say that when running XLRs to their powered speakers to not be fooled by the wire. Wire is wire. It's the connectors to worry about. And most of those are fine, too.

C'mon man. You need to read up on your scientific white papers! Wire ain't just wire anymore!

Conductor Directionality
Over the years PS Audio has come to agree with a select few cable manufacturers that believe conductor direction is critical to high-performance. The direction each conductor is pulled out of the wire machine determines how it will sound when built into a power or audio cable. Tremendous debate has taken place over these phenomena but from our perspective there can be no doubt about their existence. It did not take multiple listening tests to verify that a spool of wire sounds different when one end or the other is used as the source. All conductors in the PerfectWave AC Series are spool tested at the factory for directionality and then wound into the power cables in the same direction. This attention to detail provides a remarkable coherence and special accuracy to the sound of connected equipment powered by a PerfectWave AC cable
There you have it. DIRECTIONAL AC POWER! All of the electrons alternate in the same direction. Its just GOTTA sound better.
I understand that its also critical that you use varying diameter wires, so the big bass electrons go through the fat wires and the little treble electrons go through the thin wires.
Science it a wonderful thing!

Not that Wikipedia is always right, but interesting, in article on "oxygen-free copper:"

Use in home audio

The high-end speaker wire industry markets oxygen-free copper as having enhanced conductivity or other electrical properties that are significantly advantageous to audio signal transmission. However, conductivity specifications for common C11000 Electrolytic-Tough-Pitch (ETP) and higher-cost C10200 Oxygen-Free (OF) coppers are identical.[8] Much more expensive C10100, a highly refined copper with silver impurities removed and oxygen reduced to 0.0005%, has only a one percent increase in conductivity rating, insignificant in audio applications.[8] OFC is nevertheless valued by some[who?] for both audio and video signals in audio playback systems and home cinema.[8]

When are those scientists going to learn, like the general public believes, that there is more money in mojo?

(...and humbling to think of how many of my own consumer choices are based on some sort of mojo.)

I have several friends who have caved into the Monster Cable hype.. I get lectured by them every time we jam.. I just plug in my Steiner cable and smile..LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Leave us not forget the "directional" guitar cable. Asterope.

fishman-asterope-630-80.jpg

Actually for a properly shielded cable this is correct, as you only want the shield grounded at one end. Guitar cables where they use a coaxial cable with the braided shield being grounded at both ends is a poor way of doing it. It's just they way it's always been done and we are maintaining the status quo, plus it's cheap. Ideally there would be two conductors, with a shield around them that is grounded only at one end (the amp). I assume that's what the asterope is doing.

Archived