Heritage Owners Club

Incoming...

tsp17

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice! The 6550's are great for head room. I'd love to play my Super through that. As much as I like my Acoustic Image Clarus I miss a more vintage tube tone/feel. Can't wait for a full report. Congrats.

+1. I love my Acoustic Image Clarus too, but was missing a big bold tube feel. This head is just that. So far I've hooked it up with a Raezers Edge Twin 8 and my brand new Earcandy Sovereign. I am really impressed with this head. Love the master volume so I can push the tubes a bit. True the 6550's mostly just get louder, but I am finding that it really sweetens with the amp at 7 and the master at 50% (the master goes from 50% to 100% output). It is still pretty loud at that point though. I made the mistake of hitting a note with some attack while only about 5 feet from the amp. I won't do that again.

Overall this amp is one of the best sounding and most user friendly I've ever played. Definitely on par with the best B'face Twin Reverbs and Heritage Liberty that are my all time favorites. I am traveling right now but will post some clips next weekend. Also I need to fix some loose tolex, so I will also post pictures of the inner works when I open it up.

that is a cool looking amp!!

I don't know of (m)any others that use a pair of 6550's but they seem like a perfect choice for a jazz amp. huge full clean tones

although Marshall famously used them in their '80s era US rock amps. I had a set of 6550's in my plexi before I found some KT66's, it sounded great as well

I remember plugging a gtr into my vintage Ampeg SVT bass amp ( hooked up to my Marshall 4x12 ) just for kicks, and being blown away at the sound very good cleans!!

supposedly Dumble's Steel String Singer was partly based on an old 6550 Ampeg?

I always wondered about the 6550's after that, they sure stuck in my head.....wow sorry about the rant, back to your amp!! :D

Archived