Heritage Owners Club

New bird in the nest.

High Flying Bird

I got a new, for me, guitar last Friday.  I traded Mikenov my ASB 535 for his ACB 150 Deluxe.  I didn't want to post this before Mike got the 535 but it got to him yesterday. 

This guitar has multi colored binding, bound head stock, the darkest rosewood finger board I have ever seen and a "gut cut."  Mike had a bone nut and Grover locking tuners installed. 

The UPS man stopped at the house at 2:30.  I took the '59s out of the 150 and put them into the 535, restrung it and had it back on the UPS truck by 4:30.  I was as busy as a one legged man in a butt kickin' contest.  When I got back to the house I installed a set of Seth Lovers in the 150.  After getting it all ready I went to a bud's house and played it until my fingers hurt.  It really sounds good through the Blues Jr.  It screams but it is very clear, not muddy in the least.  I had forgotten how easy the 150 is to play since I have had the 535s. 

I am delighted with the 150.  I haven't had time to get a lot of shots of it but I did take a few on my operating table Saturday afternoon.  Yes, the action is high, that's how I like my guitars set up. 

http://www.ronwarren.com/150/

width=600 height=399http://www.ronwarren.com/150/img_9053_std.jpg[/img]

I noticed right off that the "gut cut" seems to spread the weight more comfortably than the standard 150....and that isn't a bad thing. 

It's a 150 with a belly carve? Is this the one that was up as a 140 before? Then we found out it's a 150 by looking at the sticker? So it became a 150? And now it has a belly carve? Uh ... when did they put belly carves on 150s? Sweet, if it is. It'd best have a Custom Shop sticker, wouldn't you think? Have I use my quota of ?'s ?

It's a 150 with a belly carve? Is this the one that was up as a 140 before? Then we found out it's a 150 by looking at the sticker? So it became a 150? And now it has a belly carve? Uh ... when did they put belly carves on 150s? Sweet, if it is. It'd best have a Custom Shop sticker, wouldn't you think? Have I use my quota of ?'s ?

I doubt if this one was ever mistaken for a 140.

width=316 height=480http://www.ronwarren.com/images/label.jpg[/img]

Congrats Bird! Man, did you have to put up such nice pictures of that guitar? Its killing me!

But your's is a looker too. Its at the shop getting the treatment as we speak and I will get my own post going when she returns.

This deal really worked out. I wanted a 535 and you wanted a 150 .We both have two of each, it just made sense. I am going to miss that guitar though. Enjoy it!

This deal really worked out. I wanted a 535 and you wanted a 150 .We both have two of each, it just made sense. I am going to miss that guitar though. Enjoy it!

Like we both said, they are going to good homes. 

My gold 150 has a sweet belly carve on it.

And the black and white seths look real nice.. and are those perloid tuners you put on that thing? Wow! you really gussied her up!

Yeah Mike, I have spruced her up a bit.  Today I took the 150 to my mom & pop music store and had the owner adjust the truss rod to where it had the 12th fret lower than the nut and bridge just like I like it.  I was able to lower the action quite a bit.  Then I plugged it into my little Pignose and it is a fantastic blues machine.  What tone and sustain!  This set up has the "plank" feeling right to my boxing glove hands.  I think the gold 535 will set in the safe for a few weeks before I play it again. 

It's funny, we both traded top of the line guitars while we held onto our all gold dogs.  I will see if Linda will sew us a couple of gold suits to wear at the pilgrimage next year.  We will have to learn a couple of Elvis songs for the event.    :wink:

Make sure she allows fir a little extra room in the seat for me... ya know, for comfort..

Same for me but out of necessity.  >:D

You are going to love the 535's neck.  After you get used to it the 150 will feel chunky. 

Archived