Heritage Owners Club

My HFT-445

DetroitBlues

I've mentioned this before, but I've said several times how I won't let go of the 445. Every guitar, amp, and pedal I have will go first before I'd sell it.

Last weekend was my grandparents 60th Anniversery. I traveled to northern Michigan last weekend to celebrate with them. My grandfather is a huge country and western fan and an old bluegrass chicken picker on the banjo and flattop guitar. Unfortunately over the past fifteen or years or so, between surviving cancer and the onset of Parkinson's disease, he doesn't play much anymore. This past summer, he had cataract surgery that failed and left him blind in one eye. Now my grandma fears his health only will get worse, which is heartbreaking to me. Since I was fifteen, I've picked up my guitar and played with my grandpa on and off over the years. This past weekend, I brought up my 445 to play with him, perhaps for the last time. His hands struggled to finger a chord, but the muscle memory kicked in and he could strum away again. Funny how a deliberating disease can be held at bay playing guitar. The look in his face to pull out his flattop and play again with me was worth the trip alone. There wasn't much we could remember to play, but it was fun none the less. He liked my guitar as did two of my aunts. We had a great time and whenever I see that 445 next to my chair, I will remember my grandpa and that look on his face. Some will see an old worn flattop, I will see much much more than that...

That's what I'm thankful for this year at Thanksgiving...

Guest HRB853370

Yep, everytime you pick that guitar up you will stir the memories of your Grandfather. Glad you got to enjoy that special time with him.

Archived