Heritage Owners Club

Lil Dawg D-lux..advice please

Hfan

Hi guys, I know we have some amp experts around here.

I have heard about tweed circuits for a long time. I would love to build my own but time is limited.

Saw this on CL. It is 25W so not true to the original circuit? But other then that what say yee? It has been listed for some weeks so maybe 5 Benjamins may get it. Have heard good things about the builder. Thanks.

http://cnj.craigslist.org/msg/4243372947.html

That looks like a really cool amp. I'm nowhere near an expert, but I've read on this forum that Lil Dawg make good clones of fender amps. Eljay likes them, and if memory serves, Kuz? I think sometimes you might be better off buying a modern clone, then an old original - there may be some modern improvements on them.

Jim builds great amps....I have had a D-Lux for about 4-years now.

lildawgd-lux1.jpg

Nice one..what is that Ultimate stand / device? Attenuator?

So Rob, do you think 25W is too much for that circuit? My application, unfortunately, is almost all home noodling. I'm thinking that just swapping the output x former for a 12W would be simple (famous last words ha ha). I may even contact Jim the builder with that question.

Thanks very much for the input.

Yeh, Pete. Contact Jim. Can see the options/prices on his site. You're apparently on the mark with output transformer swap. I've an '08 Dlux combo, 12W version. Nice amps, good value. New ones just over a grand now. I, too, have an attenuator on mine (Dr Z one) to take a bit of hair off, although can get the volume down by plugging thru instrument input and then turning mic volume between 3/4 and full up. Interactive vol controls. Specially nice with teles and 150s.

heritagehoc021.jpg

I contacted the seller, he is pretty firm on the price (supposedly..I have learned that pressing some hundred dollar bills into the average CL seller can work miricles).

Also contacted Jim at Lil Dawg, told him I was looking at a used one but I got a response right away, very nice guy which is what I heard. Gave me good info even though he knew I wasn't going to buy new. He said that I would only have to drop a lower wattage output transformer to get to 12 or 15 W. I wonder if that cost and the seller's asking price assuming he won't budge makes economic sense. Is their logic with GAS??

Then the seller contacted me and told me it had one of those attenuator Eminence speakers installed A Maverick (any good??).

Then, small world after all, what do I find on the Lil Dawg site..Heritage content..is that Randy?

Yeh, Pete. Contact Jim. Can see the options/prices on his site. You're apparently on the mark with output transformer swap. I've an '08 Dlux combo, 12W version. Nice amps, good value. New ones just over a grand now. I, too, have an attenuator on mine (Dr Z one) to take a bit of hair off, although can get the volume down by plugging thru instrument input and then turning mic volume between 3/4 and full up. Interactive vol controls. Specially nice with teles and 150s.

heritagehoc021.jpg

Randy's spot on here, Pete. And that circuit loves a Tele, which I know you've been really fond of spanking, lately!

So Rob, do you think 25W is too much for that circuit? My application, unfortunately, is almost all home noodling. I'm thinking that just swapping the output x former for a 12W would be simple (famous last words ha ha). I may even contact Jim the builder with that question.

Pete, my 12W Weber 5E3 clone, just re-tubed, is a basket full of crunchy goodness! I would suggest 25W are way more than you'd want or need.

Then the seller contacted me and told me it had one of those attenuator Eminence speakers installed A Maverick (any good??).

My amp guy is an Eminence dealer, Pete, I've played, briefly, through that attenuating Eminence. Sounded just fine to me!

I contacted the seller, he is pretty firm on the price (supposedly..I have learned that pressing some hundred dollar bills into the average CL seller can work miricles).

Also contacted Jim at Lil Dawg, told him I was looking at a used one but I got a response right away, very nice guy which is what I heard. Gave me good info even though he knew I wasn't going to buy new. He said that I would only have to drop a lower wattage output transformer to get to 12 or 15 W. I wonder if that cost and the seller's asking price assuming he won't budge makes economic sense. Is their logic with GAS??

Then, small world after all, what do I find on the Lil Dawg site..Heritage content..is that Randy?

Jim's a wonderful builder to deal with. And that guy in the vid?... He's freakin' awesome (imho). :)

Jim's a wonderful builder to deal with. And that guy in the vid?... He's freakin' awesome (imho). :)

Ha, you can pick and you can sing..I'm a little jealous, good thing the Lord didn't bless you with good looks or I'd really be jealous..(only kidding buddy).

So I looked on the lil Dawg site and tried to find comps of completed listings on e bay, (only a few and none for this one). Looks like this one would be $899 new with no speaker and assuming no upgrades:

"E3 D-Lux 1×12 combo 12 or 25 watt $899 chrome chassis, JJs, Mather cab, no speaker"

http://www.littledawgamps.com/prices/

I went to Mission Amps (self build kits) looks like one of theirs with speaker would be almost the same price as a new Lil Dawg and i have no time for a build.

The CL seller says price is firm..remains to be seen, also, the ad says a Jensen speaker, now he says it has an Eminence Maverick. Also, he says his price has come down but searching CL, his earlier listing is not showing me this. So typically muddy CL waters. We'll see. Can't get to see it til after Sunday anyway..Of course he "has someone coming by tomorrow", whatever. Will keep you guys updated...and thanks again.

Yes, the cab is on an amp stand that has a shelf for an attenuator...

Nice one..what is that Ultimate stand / device? Attenuator?

5E3s are really the "sum of the parts"

1) I had Jim make it with a line out and Mercury Magnetics PT/OT set.

2) Peter Mather did a great job making a Tweed cab.

3) I was able to outfit it with NOS 1950s RCA 5Y3, 12AY7, 12AX7 and blackplate 6V6s.

4) I also added Bruce Collins "dual switchable humbucker flub/flatulence reduction mod kit" with a single coil/humbucker switch.

5) I put a Weber 12A150 speaker in the cab

6) Placing it on a chair or stand helps the bass in my view

Hey Pete, you'd be surprised at how little time a 5E3 build can take. Even if you only spare a couple of hours a week, you'd have one done and getting noisy inside a month.

Howard, I would if I could, working a few hours here and there then having a place to leave the project without putting everything away would be awesome but my previousely spacious bachelor home is now short on space with kids stuff gear, etc etc and really no time anyway. Instant gratification seems to be my only option. A trip to the bank and a drive to the seller is doable.

5E3s are really the "sum of the parts"

1) I had Jim make it with a line out and Mercury Magnetics PT/OT set.

2) Peter Mather did a great job making a Tweed cab.

3) I was able to outfit it with NOS 1950s RCA 5Y3, 12AY7, 12AX7 and blackplate 6V6s.

4) I also added Bruce Collins "dual switchable humbucker flub/flatulence reduction mod kit" with a single coil/humbucker switch.

5) I put a Weber 12A150 speaker in the cab

6) Placing it on a chair or stand helps the bass in my view

Wow, thanks for the detailed reply. Sounds like you just got the chassis from Jim. Would you know what xformers he installs stock? I'll search that flub mod...guessing it helps reduce flub from a humbucker...

Contacted the seller again today. Funny, he says it has a Jensen CR...can't find any info on those.

heritagehoc021.jpg

BEautiful combo there!!

Oh well, I'm not getting any responses from the seller so i guess the deal is dead. Last night I broke out the Reverb Deluxe that Brian built me. I've only been using my modded Blues Jr for at least a year so the Reverb Deluxe was like a NAD. I just ordered one of these to allow me to hook up two amps at once, should be fun:

http://www.sweetwater.com/images/items/1800/BigShotABY-xlarge.jpg

BigShotABY-xlarge.jpg

Oh well, I'm not getting any responses from the seller so i guess the deal is dead. Last night I broke out the Reverb Deluxe that Brian built me. I've only been using my modded Blues Jr for at least a year so the Reverb Deluxe was like a NAD. I just ordered one of these to allow me to hook up two amps at once, should be fun:

http://www.sweetwater.com/images/items/1800/BigShotABY-xlarge.jpg

BigShotABY-xlarge.jpg

You're in for lots of fun! :)

Check the speakers of the amps you'll be playing through are in phase with each other, the sound will be thin otherwise.

Was just reading that that's Luther Dickinson's favorite pedal. I've a Lehle aby. And btw... perfect pedal for a Li'l Dawg DLux with a signal going to each input (mic/inst). You might as well just call Jim back and place your order :)

Was just reading that that's Luther Dickinson's favorite pedal. I've a Lehle aby. And btw... perfect pedal for a Li'l Dawg DLux with a signal going to each input (mic/inst). You might as well just call Jim back and place your order :)

Actually the CL seller finally contacted me..the deal may be alive after all. I have read nothing but good things about Jim and his amps, nice guy too, very responsive to my questions. Did a build sheet come with yours? I found out that the amp has a Jensen C12R 25W speaker.

You're in for lots of fun! :)

Check the speakers of the amps you'll be playing through are in phase with each other, the sound will be thin otherwise.

Howard, the specs below seem to indicate that the device has phase match capability.. I'm assuming that's the same as matching the phase of the speakers?

BigShot™ ABY True Bypass Switcher

Part No. R800 7200

• True-bypass ABY amp selector with tuner out
  • On-board transformer to eliminate hum & buzz
  • 180° polarity reverse to phase-match amps
  • 100% passive, does not require a battery or power

Actually the CL seller finally contacted me..the deal may be alive after all. I have read nothing but good things about Jim and his amps, nice guy too, very responsive to my questions. Did a build sheet come with yours? I found out that the amp has a Jensen C12R 25W speaker.

Cool - no build sheet, but we went thru the details via email prior to the build. Andy yeh, the BigShot has phase adjust.

Came home with it last night. The seller came down in price a little and gave it to me with the Eminence Maverick and vintage tubes installed. It is a 2006 so one of Jim's early builds.

Haven't really had a good chance to explore it or learn all the little tricks you can do with the inputs and channels. May sound funny but my being a reverb junkie may be the biggest challenge. The seller had a Dr Scientist reverb pedal, he let me try it, unimpressed with my quick spin. I may just have to go cold turkey from reverb for a while.

It is about the height and width of my Blues Jr but almost twice as deep. It is so simple to pull the chassis and the simple circuit may make it a fun amp to tinker with. I can see experimenting with speakers. and possibly a lower output (12W) high quality output xformer.

When my amp switcher arrives I can see having fun combining this with my others.

Thanks again for the good advice.

Archived