Heritage Owners Club

Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue Custom 15

tsp17

Tad~ A buddy of mine had one and loved the fat tone. Hated the weight. He needed a lightweight, collapsible dolly to move it, and trips to his chiropractor for his aching back and shoulders. But his 575 sounded amazing through it.

Now he plays through a Rivera Jazz Suprema.

The Fender twin is worth its weight in gold. Buy it and leave it in a corner. You'll smile (as will your dogs) every time you play it.

I had this amp and it is a different animal than a regular twin. Maybe there was something wrong with mine, or maybe it was the speaker with the metal dust cap, it sounded good clean but it absolutely would not let you use a OD pedal in front of it for bluesy stuff. When I tried a OD pedal (any OD pedal) it sounded horribly tinny and buzzy.

I could not trade it quick enough. I think they advertise these for pedal steel players.

If all you need is a straight forward clean amp you'll be hard pressed to find anything better or even as good as that one. The speaker itself is one that Fender claims they worked closely with Eminence in designing so as to replicate the now famous JBL-D130F speakers that Fender used back in the 60's-70's except that this one goes over the top in power handling (rated at 225 watts at 4 ohms), Eminence calls it the Commonwealth and they come in both 12" & 15" sizes with the 12 having a choice of 8/16 ohms while the 15 only comes as a 4 ohm model, because the vintage Twin's only have a single 4 ohm output. You will not break this speaker up, you will not make it cry, you won't even slightly strain it. It has a huge room shaking tone that is nothing but pristine clean. When I decided about a year ago to get a Twin this amp was very high on my list of considerations, but there were several reasons I chose the Super Sonic 100 instead.

The Twin is quite literally a one trick pony where-as the SS 100 in addition to the Twin pre-amp circuit also has a Bassman circuit and a very versatile dirt channel.

The Custom 15 has no efx loop, the SS 100 has two (one series & one parallel).

The Custom 15 has a single 4 ohm tap off the transformer, the SS 100 has a choice of 4/8/16 ohms.

The Custom 15 has to be biased the old fashion way, the SS 100 is auto biased.

The Custom 15 has no damping switch, the SS 100 does.

The Custom 15 only comes in the back breaking combo form, the SS 100 is your choice of combo or head.

So I chose the head version of the SS 100 which I pair up with a Lopo 1-15" cab loaded with a 15" Eminence Commonwealth (that I actually owned before deciding on a Fender) which breaks up the back breaking weight into two units, and I've never been happier with an amp in my life.

BTW see the Commonwealth here;

http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Commonwealth_15

Guest HRB853370

How much are they asking? There is one at GC locally here for $900. I bought mine (212 version) about 8 years ago for $800 from a guy in Tennessee. More power than you will ever need, and so what its 64 lbs, don't let that scare you off. Those amps have been on stage more than any other amp in amp history. Sure, it's not going to sound like an original 65-69 blackface, but its certainly not bad, and the construction of the amp is very good. I would say go for it.

Guest HRB853370

Tad~ A buddy of mine had one and loved the fat tone. Hated the weight. He needed a lightweight, collapsible dolly to move it, and trips to his chiropractor for his aching back and shoulders. But his 575 sounded amazing through it.

Now he plays through a Rivera Jazz Suprema.

Lots of musicians will just keep this amp in a touring case with casters and just remove the top cover of the touring case when they use it. That way they can just wheel it around versus lifting it all day long.

I had this amp and it is a different animal than a regular twin. Maybe there was something wrong with mine, or maybe it was the speaker with the metal dust cap, it sounded good clean but it absolutely would not let you use a OD pedal in front of it for bluesy stuff. When I tried a OD pedal (any OD pedal) it sounded horribly tinny and buzzy.

I think many people give up on this speaker far to quick because of that tinny tone that comes with it, but if given time to properly break in it smooths right out. I will add however this speaker took muck longer to break in then any speaker I've ever used. Once broken in I liked it so much I bought a second one to use with my Boogie Mk IV.

How much are they asking?

$675 which is why I am considering it. Very tempting. Seller has not emailed back yet.

Thanks all for the great insights.

Yearning for the sound of my old TRRI, but hating the weight, i very recently invested in a used Comins/Alessandro jazz head (like it a lot) and a 1x12 and 2x12 cabinet (similar to t0aj15's solution). The 2x12 has not yet arrived. So I probably have this sonic base covered and really, really don't need this amp. But at this price (maybe lower) and with the 15" speaker hard not to consider it. The Comins is a different animal than a blackface TR style amp, but similar. The TRRI 15 would, as suggested above, sit in the corner and would either become my no.1 home amp or go back up for sale. Probably keep the Comins head too for a portable tube option. Love my PRRI, but it is not as big sounding or as crystal clean.

Lots of musicians will just keep this amp in a touring case with casters and just remove the top cover of the touring case when they use it. That way they can just wheel it around versus lifting it all day long.

Have to put it into the car or van, and have to take it out. Back in; back out, after the gig. Unless you're going to put a trailer hitch on it.... Heavy amps in road cases are extremely awkward.

$675 which is why I am considering it. Very tempting. Seller has not emailed back yet.

Thanks all for the great insights.

Yearning for the sound of my old TRRI, but hating the weight, i very recently invested in a used Comins/Alessandro jazz head (like it a lot) and a 1x12 and 2x12 cabinet (similar to t0aj15's solution). The 2x12 has not yet arrived. So I probably have this sonic base covered and really, really don't need this amp. But at this price (maybe lower) and with the 15" speaker hard not to consider it. The Comins is a different animal than a blackface TR style amp, but similar. The TRRI 15 would, as suggested above, sit in the corner and would either become my no.1 home amp or go back up for sale. Probably keep the Comins head too for a portable tube option. Love my PRRI, but it is not as big sounding or as crystal clean.

Maybe a 15" speaker cab might be another option.

Maybe a 15" speaker cab might be another option.

Right. I have a 2x12 cab on the way. The Comins-Alessandro head and 2x12 pair might do the trick just fine. If not, a 15" cab is next..,

Archived