Heritage Owners Club

Used heritage value,,, Wth!

holyroller

Not that i am complaining. But whats up with the low used value ? I know most people really dont know about heritage guitars. Thats a whole other sad thing. Has it always beem this way? Visited cream city music in milwaukee, and saw gibson vos models 5 6 7 grand!!!! Holy crap!!! Played a few and i was so happy that my heritage 150 ultra held its ground . If i blind folded you , you couldnt tell you were playing a 6,000$ vos or my used 1,500$ heritage. Thats when i started thinking ,,

What the hell!! How come heritage guitars are nothing. Then i checked out a few other high dollar hand made ones. Felt the same way with those also. I always take care of my guitars , but with the heritage guitars eventhow there one of the best out there, i dont have to worry to much about a scuff or dent , cause if i ever sell it , there seem to be not much value. There not a collectible guitar, wich is really sad. Will this evet change? I wave my heritage flag high !! Even though there not a clicky guitar.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heritage doesn't advertise. There is a minimal marketing budget. I think the HOC is basically Heritage's main marketing tool. And that's because we're enthusiasts. We work for free.

I also get the feeling that the Heritage crew does what they do for love more than money. That's not to say that they are doing badly. They seem to be doing well. For the past two years that I've gone to PSP, I've only heard them hint that they are getting ready to retire. But I think building guitars is in their blood.

What you say I believe is true. The resale value of Heritage guitars is lower than it should be. That is one of the reasons I've always bought good USED Heritage guitars when I've bought a Heritage (Except once and with that I got a new guitar at a used guitar price. I couldn't pass it up. Thank you Milt Smith.).

On the other hand, there aren't many guitars out there that offer the value an excellent USED Heritage guitar offers. I very much doubt you could EVER buy a guitar of better quality than my H-576 for what I paid for it. (Less than a grand.) Now, that's value in my book.

Instead of retyping my response related to one of your "value" related post just a few days ago, I'll take the lazyman approach with a cut n paste.

I've also been dying to know where this "Peavy" reference you made in that post originated, I've scoured the internet looking for anything linking the 2 companies and came up with not a single thing?

holyroller, on 14 Feb 2014 - 12:06 AM, said:snapback.png

My local guitar store can get new heritage guitars they also are a gibson dealer, but the refrain from promoting the heritage line. The biggest concern is the resale value is just so poor. Were the gibson resale value is really good. Most guitar buyers stick with the gibson history and name. Yes, we know the history of the heritage guitars, but they told me ,they pitched the same story when they stocked them , but in the end the name and resale value of gibson won out. I must agree for 1,000 $ you can pick up a killer heritage , but at one point someone paid alot more money new, To support heritage my next one will be a new one and not a used one. Its great that we can get a used heritage at epiphone pricing , but in the end its not helping heritage. Plus heritage could helpthemselfs with a better website, adding pleked necks and tiding up of the electronics,(so i have heard) making the case included.promoting themself better. They have alot of history to back it up. Sometimes i think they dont put alot of effort into themselfs. Maybe peavey buying them out would give them the money and managment they need? Well thats my thought anyway. Wow that turned into a rant. Lol

I would agree that the resale market of Heritage guitars is much weaker than it should be but that trend is really not much different than with most high end products, Gibson is one of a few brands left that SEEM to transcend that anomaly but actually doesn't. The name Gibson will forever be given credit via pop culture (deservedly or undeservedly so) considering its product is much more likely to be in the hands of the next big someone who is being heavily marketed themselves.

People are sheep. always have been, always will be. The marketing machine behind Gibson would be foolish not to take advantage of such a reality. They have the ability to put out MASSIVE amounts of so-so product at higher end prices based on the demand from every kid who wants to be the next (insert guitar hero here). A company like Heritage simply can't compete with those inflated profit margins, manufacturing demands or distribution logistics but who ever said they wanted to?

I too feel Heritage could market themselves better on multiple levels but I've come to believe that they are CURRENTLY content with the orders they're filling and are probably looking forward to the next chapter for themselves as people and not as competitors....what does that mean for Heritage Inc??????

but seriously...Peavey??? I certainly hope that's just noise from the rumor mill.

Guest HRB853370

There is nothing going on with Peavey

There is alot going on with Peavey, but most likely NOT anything concerning Heritage Guitar Inc. Although our good friend Kuz hinted at it more than once, so I can only believe he knows more than the rest of us do. You don't buy a Heritage guitar for appreciation or for resale value. You buy it to keep it ,. love it and to play it. The cherry sunburst 150 pictured in my signature was purchased new for $1200 14 years ago. I know I could easily get $1200 for it today. That said, a brand new Heritage 150 that might cost $2000 might only fetch $1400 after a few years.

I think Mattjayworker said it the best, no more to add to that comment!

I think it's been that way for a while, and probably will remain that way. There are a few reasons for this. One is simply the brand recognition the big names have, which makes their products more desirable among collectors, those starting out or simply people who like playing/owning guitars from well-recognized brands.

On the other hand, I think guitars made by Heritage, Hamer and similar companies are more likely to be sought out and bought by people who want to play them. So, while they will take a hit on value vs new, they are likely to retain a significant value on the used market. So I don't believe your $1,500 Heritage will ever be worth much less that $1,500, as there will always be people who will want an excellent guitar to play.

The odd company here is PRS, or at least it's the one that puzzles me more. It seems to have managed to become very popular with players and collectors, despite being a comparatively recently created company. Although looking at some other forums there are a lot of used ones for sale.

There will come a day when these Heritage guitars that we own and enjoy will fetch a tidy sum on the collector's market. When that day comes, I will regret having sold seven of these fantastic instruments (and I will cling dearly to the two I have chosen to keep).

You guys are cracking me up. i own or have owned or have ordered an H120 (used), an H150 (new), an H535 (used), an H555 (used), an H575 (used), 2 Eagle Classics (used) 2 Super Eagles (1 used and 1 custom order) and the value is there. I wouldn't mind owning an H550 (used) or H525 (used) or...you get it. Would people pay more if the resale value were higher? Probably. Would I buy another new one? Yes if I were looking for something unique, I would. Actually I already have another Super Eagle build in my mind now...this time with set in pups and a maple body.

we had this discussion before and it depends on the model. Heritage holds it value just fine once you realize you are starting from a lower initial price with Heritage.

2014 L5 new is 8-9K used 5-6K it lost 3K 2014 Golden Eagle new 5K used 2.5K lost 2.5K

2014 R9 new is 5-6K used 3K lost 2 1/2-3K 2014 Custom 150 $2,500 used $1,800 lost 7 hundred.

You loose way more of your initial "investment" with a G.

I figure each of my Heritage guitars drops about $1,000 from it's cost new as long as they are desirable models with upgraded features and in excellent condition. However they are collectable tools not investments.

OK so a new 150 cost approx $2300 and used I sold mine for approx $1800.

What does a new R9 go for? I think $4500 to $4000. Are they selling used for $3800 to $3500?

Looks like a similiar resale value to me.

There is alot going on with Peavey, but most likely NOT anything concerning Heritage Guitar Inc. Although our good friend Kuz hinted at it more than once, so I can only believe he knows more than the rest of us do. You don't buy a Heritage guitar for appreciation or for resale value. You buy it to keep it ,. love it and to play it. The cherry sunburst 150 pictured in my signature was purchased new for $1200 14 years ago. I know I could easily get $1200 for it today. That said, a brand new Heritage 150 that might cost $2000 might only fetch $1400 after a few years.

I think Mattjayworker said it the best, no more to add to that comment!

I said that Peavy was contacted in 2007, and I said it was a RUMOR that they were back in the mix. I know nothing and Will, PLEASE stop associating my name with this rumor.

I have several guitar playing buddies I've tried to turn on to Heritage, but they don't seem to get it...they are star struck by Fender & Gibson & PRS

let me get off my high horse :D maybe I don't get it

but lets face it...marketing has a huge influence. people love hype and eat that stuff up.

plus all the pioneers of what we call popular music today, used Fender & Gibson primarily. that's a LOT of free marketing....every poster you have on your walls drives it into your head

-->I have deliberately bought a couple new Heritages to support the company....even though I could find something similar used. I did try to add a couple unique features though.

but I'm not rich....I can't afford to buy new gtrs all the time!!

You should see how much Heritages go for in Japan man. I have seen H150 Ultras go for about $900 in auctions... And the worst thing is that people know about them over there, but expectations of what a Heritage should cost have already been set, so people just don't pay any more.

It's like you know how much a Gibson LP will cost you and how much a Fender will cost and you also know how much a Heritage will cost you. Even on HOC in the bay watch area, we all instantly know whether or not a seller is asking too much or not.

The odd company here is PRS, or at least it's the one that puzzles me more. It seems to have managed to become very popular with players and collectors, despite being a comparatively recently created company. Although looking at some other forums there are a lot of used ones for sale.

Can you believe that 2015 will be their 30th anniversary already?

Yes, still the new guys on the block, relatively speaking as you mentioned.

Archived