Heritage Owners Club

Re-Finishing a Heritage Pickguard

Redsand

I'd like to re-finish the pickguard on my H-555 from ALSB to Solid Black or Trans-Black without disturbing the binding.

Have any of you guys done this before, if so, what is the best way to "tape off" or protect the binding during the sand/stain/clear coating process?

5ef5ad56-2043-4fca-b3b8-e4dd1b5c3b87_zps

I think I've got what you want.

This is from my ASB 535 and I removed it the day I bought the guitar. The pic makes it look a little scratched up but it actually just has light pick marks - they'd polish out easily.

D49A7E04-0790-41B3-99B7-6547BA804E2E.jpg

Really??? 52 views and counting and nobody's refinished one of these things before? :icon_scratch:

Maybe I should have dressed up the title with some sure fire comment producers like HRW's, neck size and weight or anything BrentRocks related!

I'm guessing that this is not as straightforward as it might seem, Matt.

The majority of the refinish work I've read about here seems to be done by luthiers such as Aaron Cowles and Pete Moreno.

Maybe a call to the factory might throw up some useful info, especially if you can talk directly with one of the sprayers.

I'm guessing that this is not as straightforward as it might seem, Matt.

The majority of the refinish work I've read about here seems to be done by luthiers such as Aaron Cowles and Pete Moreno.

Maybe a call to the factory might throw up some useful info, especially if you can talk directly with one of the sprayers.

I know H, just being cheeky. :icon_sunny:

Did you replace your H535 PG with something else or did you leave it off?

As our beautiful bound maple pickguards (scratch plates for our EU buddies) wear out over time, the answer to this refinishing question will need answering.

I've seen some worn out ones and they ain't pretty.

Maybe someone with the proper skills will see this as a business opportunity.

First you'll need a base to screw it to. Then you'll sand like there's no tomorrow. Once the old finish and stain are off you'll have to progress through higher levels of sandpaper until you polish it.

Now it's time to tape off the binding. Take your time. Next, spray a couple coats of clear nitro, then hit it with some colored nitro (Reranch / Stew Mac). Once you get the desired color, put down some more coats of clear nitro. Let it set for a few weeks and then buff / wet sand.

Covering the binding with tape for the color spray is going to be a bitch! I know of no other way to keep it white.

Enjoy! :)

First you'll need a base to screw it to. Then you'll sand like there's no tomorrow. Once the old finish and stain are off you'll have to progress through higher levels of sandpaper until you polish it.

Now it's time to tape off the binding. Take your time. Next, spray a couple coats of clear nitro, then hit it with some colored nitro (Reranch / Stew Mac). Once you get the desired color, put down some more coats of clear nitro. Let it set for a few weeks and then buff / wet sand.

Covering the binding with tape for the color spray is going to be a bitch! I know of no other way to keep it white.

Enjoy! :)

Thank you Steiner!!!! I really appreciate the play by play. :hello2:

Graham at Wolfe's Guitars explained to me one time that Heritage non-black pickguards are much more expensive than black ones -- they charge a lot because it's hard to get them to look right, to make a long story short. So refinishing yours black would be taking something more valuable and making it less valuable, in a sense. I would buy a black one off of Heritage, or one of the third party companies that make them, and sell the one you have. That's my 2 cents . . .

I refinished my H-550 pickguard using black dye that Pete Moreno gave me. I just sanded off the old finish, dyed the wood, applied several coats of laquer with wet sanding between coats. then hit it with some rubbing compound follwed by paste wax. I scraped the binding the same way they do at the factory.

Before:

3746127815_264ba171d1_b.jpg

After:

3903734455_628cc9277e_b.jpg

I refinished my H-550 pickguard using black dye that Pete Moreno gave me. I just sanded off the old finish, dyed the wood, applied several coats of laquer with wet sanding between coats. then hit it with some rubbing compound follwed by paste wax. I scraped the binding the same way they do at the factory.

Before:

3746127815_264ba171d1_b.jpg

After:

3903734455_628cc9277e_b.jpg

What a great job on that .... finger rest ..... :icon_thumright: Is it the angle or color? But it appears to have more binding as black than it did originally.

What a great job on that .... finger rest ..... :icon_thumright: Is it the angle or color? But it appears to have more binding as black than it did originally.

I think it's just from being out in the sun. The white edge is really glowing.

Like you Matt, I've wanted to go black on the PG for my 535, being lazy as all get out...it never occurred to me to refinish it, I just wanted to buy one. The appropriate ones were snagged (er...snatched) from the listing referenced above, I explored grabbing one at the plant last August and it didn't come together...and I like it naked as well, so there is sits. You've got dibs on H's pickguard, but if you really want to do it yourself and pass on his, I'll take it.

They do look good nekked, though.

with

P1130336-1-.jpg

without

photo_zps0dd4d2f1.jpg

I like them naked. The end. Why hide that beautiful flame grain you paid so much for? My 535 had relatively understated but beautiful flame, so I chose to leave mine on. I say if it has a gorgeous top let that baby show!!'

I refinished one for my 575

Sand it down to bare

Tape off binding

If your rubbing stain do it now, if not

Seal it with sanding sealer, then

Spray your finish,

Pull off tape and clean binding with a scraper, go easy

Clear,

Attach

I did mine with a little distress.

Actually the original guard is in the case, the replacement was off something bigger like an eagle, it also only had one cut out so I had to add the bridge cut out.

post-463-0-69675500-1393896322_thumb.jpg

Archived