Heritage Owners Club

10 Classic Guitar Amps & The Songs That Made Them Famous

Nice.. Thanks for sharing.. And I couldn't agree more about the ABB "Live at the Fillmore"

here is an interview with Bobby Whitlock where he talks about pignose amps on Layla:

http://www.crawdaddy.com/index.php/2011/04/01/bobby-whitlock-a-surviving-domino-talks-about-his-new-book-his-new-life-and-the-40th-anniversary-of-layla/2/

..and here ( it is claimed ) George Terry says he used a SF vibro champ on "layla & assorted love songs" and both the champ & pignose on "461 ocean blvd". plus a pic of the champ @461 time period!!

"Here's a part of an email that George Terry sent me, the contents of which will be self-explanatory:

That's the Vibro-Champ Eric used on the 461 recordings and on the Layla recordings. I used a Champ without vibrato. On the song "Motherless Children" Eric and I used Pignose amps. I still have those amps and the Strat I'm tuning in the photo. Hope that helps you.
The small box on the amp is one of the speakers for the stereo system. You can see the turntable just behind it. Actual "LP" records!! Imagine that... I think I was playing Eric "I Shot The Sheriff".

"

link

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/layla-and-other-assorted-love-songs-why-is-it-such-a-mud-bath-of-an-album.150003/page-4

so I'm guessing he used both?

461.JPG

yeah it's right up there with Page's supro :D

although Bobby was actually at the Layla sessions, playing keys....so I would take his word for it

George Terry played gtr on 461, but I dont think he was involved with Layla recordings. would not be surprised if EC used the same gear on 461 though, and it sounds like he did?

ps I think Page's supro was a 1624T, not a Thunderbolt

ok I just read that article...they say EVH's plexi was a metal panel.....I'm pretty sure EVH's plexi was a '66 or so

actually....IN THE ARTICLE they post a clipping where that is mentioned...then in the header they say it's a metal panel? who are these guys, lol

Thanks for sharing...

But like many things on the net, in some cases cited factually incorrect.

For example, Larry Carlton did not play a Dumble Overdrive Special on Josie on Steely Dan's album Aja.

- The album was recorded in LA in sessions in 1976-77

- The main rhythm of the song Josie was played by Dean Parks, Larry Carlton played the tasty overdriven fills, and Walter Becker played the solo

- It is well documented by Larry himself that he played those sessions with a Fender Tweed Deluxe

- Larry did not begin to record and use a Dumble until the mid-1980s (1985 Last Nite)

I just did a search and most people are saying it was a dimed blackface vibro-champ! So there's quite a bit of conflicting info on the interwebs:)

It's really hard to nail it down, especially at this point, due to all the conflicting info on the web. I had read an interview with Tom Dowd, who produced the album, and remember him saying,"Eric came to the studio with two small amps, one under each arm, a tweed Princeton and a black Champ." The Champ was a transition model 5F1 in black tolex,

Archived