Heritage Owners Club

NAD PSP relay rally MI to NJ

Hfan

It all started with me asking if anyone knew anything about the old Traynor YGM amps from the early 70s. They are around 20 watts and EL84 powered. One was on my CL. And I had heard good things elsewhere. I started this thread:

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/topic/27559-anyone-familiar-with-the-traynor-guitar-mate-reverb-ygm3/

So Detroit Blues had one with a custom cabinet built by Peter Mather in Nashville. He did the cabs for the Heritage amps too.

I made a deal with DB and he was going to ship it but tbonesullivan was coming to PSP and he offered to deliver it to me. We live about an hour apart in NJ.

Tbone brought it today. He braved weekend Jersey shore traffic to do it. Very cool amp. I love EL84 tone and it has a lush reverb which is another thing I like and also a very good vibrato. And the cabinet is beautiful and very well built. Very cool amp.

Here it is

DSC_0169_zpsb22523c3.jpg

And with my other MI amp acquisition from another PSP a KBP Reverb Deluxe with a few cool mods

DSC_0170_zpsbe68ece7.jpg

This is what the Traynor once looked like

Traynor74YGM-4StudioMatefront.jpg

Had a chance to hang out a little with tbone today and show some amps and guitars to him. Couldn't get him to buy anything though..we both claim to be in downsize mode but everything is relative I guess ha ha.

Thanks guys. It is cool. Was A/B'ing with my Blues JR last night. I always heard the Blues Jr described as "boxy". Mine is heavily modded with Bill M's stuff even a Heyboer output tranny. But I heard the "boxiness" for the first time last night in comparison with the Traynor. I think it is partly due to the smaller cab of the Blues Jr.

The Traynor has an Eminence Wizard in it which Eminence lists as recommended for closed cabs (some weird complication can occur on some open cabs) but lots of guys like them in open cabs like mine. It sounds good. Not sure if DB played it enough to break it in but it's staying.

Just took measurements for a cover from Custom Amp Covers which is located in MI..hopefully not too much $. Used them for the Reverb Deluxe, very nice covers.

Kuz, I would love to come out again, hopefully next year. Really missed it. On the weekend of PSP I was bringing the kids to various sporting activities and helping to run a Scouting bingo night attended by 150 vicious female bingo addicts, they take it very seriously ha ha. Think I'd prefer a nice road trip and a chance to jam.

Thanks again to tbone, I owe you one for battling that beach traffic. And thanks to DB, loving the amp.

Glad you enjoy it. That speaker may have been broken in since I bought it used from Bruce Egnator....

Holy cow, the Bruce Egnator? So I have an amp with an Egnator owned speaker and a Mather built cab with KBP mods and maintenance..cool story ..every dog has their day.

Archived