Heritage Owners Club

OK, OK... Tone reports 525, 535 P-90s, Lollars, ect

Kuz

OK my friends I have heard you loud and clear... TONE REPORTS

1. 525 Hollow Body Laminate Lollar p-90 dog ears (aka Smokey Bar)

How much more can I say AWESOME! Think Jimmy Vaughn on his hollow body. The pups are just exceptional in this guitar, lower output than my other p-90 Lollar Heritages ( I think lower output just due to the design of the guitar). Neck pickup is BIG & FAT but clear. You can hear the true "Hollow Body" sound of the wood. Middle position is a beautiful compromise of the neck & bridge (adds a some sparkle to the neck pup). Bridge is lower output than the neck, so I had to really raise the pole pieces. Now it's balanced nicely, with the ratty sparkle cut-through bridge pup that gets a "fuller Tele bridge" sound.

The guitar is perfect. I can't find any "birth marks" and weighs nothing- maybe 5lbs.

It is THE PERFECT jazz to blues guitar. I decided to keep the wooden floating tune-a-matic vs mounting it directly in the top which Graham said would give an edgier tone. It is strung with 11s so the floating bridge won't move during bends.

I hit it with an OD pedal through a Super or Deluxe Reverb and have had zero feedback issues at gigging volumes (of course this volume level is subjective and I think the laminate vs solid top helps control the feedback)

I have been the most impressed by this guitar of any of my Heritages because I didn't expect as much tone & versatility. This must be the most under rated Heritage of all time! Here's a link to Gregor Hilden playing his 525, and yes they sold just like his!

width=600 height=450http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff205/jjkuz/Photo6_8dda1-Original.jpg[/img]

2. 535 Lollar p-90s dog ears (aka My Precious)

This is a guitar that I suggested to Ren & Marv to make at the HOC pilgrimage during the cookout.

Fellas, it really is exactly as you would imagine- right in the middle between a 525 p-90 and 150 p-90. The guitar again is perfect (no "birth marks" of any kind). I ordered premium wood and it has the most flame of any Heritage I have ever seen. It is a little heavier than my 555 which I personally think adds to the fatter beefier tone. The 535 Lollar p-90s are like my 150 with Lollar p-90s, more output than the 525, but slightly less than the 150. Neck pup is SUPER FAT & BASS without mud, very clear! Bridge is gritty & ratty without the ice pic in the ear. The middle position again has a voice all it's own but here it's more gritty rat & treble (rather than just adding brightness like on the 525). Again the neck pup has more output than the bridge so the bridge pole pieces are up (again this is consistent with Vintage pups where the neck always has more output).

This guitar is the Ultimate from jazz to blues to rock. It really almost nail the same tone as my 150 with p-90s. The solid block obviously really helps with the feedback threshold, but I was surprised at how close the 525 can come to this threshold.

Again VERY versatile for the guitarist looking for almost Hollowbody 525 and almost solid body 150 tones.

width=319 height=480http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff205/jjkuz/MYPreciousjpg.jpg[/img]

One final word about Lollar pickups, be it p-90s or Imperial humbuckers- These mothers are the REAL DEAL! Metal players need not apply. The original PAF was not meant to sound like Gary Moore. The original PAFs are brighter with much less gain that sound great clean or at overdriven levels.

I STRONGLY encourage that if you are looking for vintage tone pay the extra ($250 or whatever) because Heritage Guitars + Heritage excellent wood + Real Nitro finish + Lollar pups = the best sound guitars at ANY PRICE.

Thanks,

John

(can I get to playing them now? :P)

I have one more special guitar paid for (through trades). I have been giving up a lot and getting TONE in return.

You have to wait for this one, no hint yet. Although it is a tribute to another on of my idols! 8)

But no mini-hums, the p-90s are close to that tone in the Middle position & bridge.

I have one more special guitar paid for (through trades). I have been giving up a lot and getting TONE in return.

You have to wait for this one, no hint yet. Although it is a tribute to another on of my idols! 8)

I know what it is! I know what it is! But I promise the Bear I won't say.  :angel:

Who said it was a Heritage?

OK if you really must know it is a green Luczak. I was thinking of naming it after one of my kids but then at the last minute I decided to go with one of my idols. So it's called "Thiller". I'll get some shots outside in the grass when she comes in. He said it was only the second one in existence, but agreed that I came up with the color before some guy came and copied it. I asked why mine wasn't finished first and he said "Dude, this guy was all over me to get it done. He even threatened to bring some k-zoo thugs over to 'make it right and make it quick or I know some deserted farm where you will never be found!'".

Anyhow, it should be finished in a couple months. Green quilt with "Thriller" on the back of the headstock. I can't wait!

Thanks Kuz for the tone report.

I now have triple GAS, all of the P-90 variety.

:-X :-X :-X :-X

This one is slightly ahead though .....

width=600 height=450http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/SouthpawGuy/other%20heritage%20pics/lefty525.jpg[/img]

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I love all three of my p-90 guitars but the 525 might be the perfect one... of crap it's like picking a favorite child.

Probably the most authentic vintage p-90 tone.

Good reading and good pics, Kuz.  Man, we used to take out the P-90's and throw them away to put hummers in. We'd buy a set of Grovers, drill out the pegheads, and throw the Klusons away, unless somebody wanted them. You got some killer guitars, Kuz.

But I'm still not a P-90 fan.

OK if you really must know it is a green Luczak. I was thinking of naming it after one of my kids but then at the last minute I decided to go with one of my idols. So it's called "Thiller". I'll get some shots outside in the grass when she comes in. He said it was only the second one in existence, but agreed that I came up with the color before some guy came and copied it. I asked why mine wasn't finished first and he said "Dude, this guy was all over me to get it done. He even threatened to bring some k-zoo thugs over to 'make it right and make it quick or I know some deserted farm where you will never be found!'".

Anyhow, it should be finished in a couple months. Green quilt with "Thriller" on the back of the headstock. I can't wait!

???

John!  I'm feelin' all of it, man!  Everytime I take the super Super out, I love it more!  Those Lollars are just tits!!!  Really have enjoyed your enjoyment.  Can't wait to see all of those sticks at the next Pilgrimage.  Your collection is "simply fabulous"!!!  Have fun, man!    8)

Rob

???

Yea, right! You stole my "Thriller" patent Luczak! :P

(stop skim reading, look at Kenny's post and you'll get it)

Yea, right! You stole my "Thriller" patent Luczak! :P

(stop skim reading, look at Kenny's post and you'll get it)

you ordered a Luczak?

i'm sure that is not it,,,i'll just wait with the rest of the clan :)

Those Lollars are just tits!!!  Really have enjoyed your enjoyment.  Can't wait to see all of those sticks at the next Pilgrimage.  Your collection is "simply fabulous"!!!  Have fun, man!    8)

Rob

Here I was thinking they were pickups. :undecided: Shows what I know. ................  :angel:

Archived