Heritage Owners Club

H147 Upgrades

PaGator

You may recall I won the auction for this H147 on the bay about a month ago. I've never been a big fan of gold hardware so I knew I would do some upgrades if I won it. I was traveling for a few weeks so just finished up the upgrades, this is what I did:

thorough cleaning (it needed it)

Babicz full Contact Stop Tail and Bridge

SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers

Jimmy Page wiring harness with Bourns 500k pots

Grover locking tuners

Switchcraft pickup selector and input jack

Black pickup rings

(removed pickguard)

Everything was a direct drop in replacement.

Here are some before and after shots:

f2b315a5d0bd5e837caa42c04dfca9a5_zpsa577

5d29dae5893215f9ed2c51d7ebf1082c_zpsfe9d

bea932b985a70e5ee45a68389fb8ebdd_zps76a8

3be28230197613e84fb0a27fe82cebcc_zps3065

bafaba87341388a7204dc0ee6ce076d7_zps6bb0

I never used the Babicz hardware before, early thoughts are pretty good. The bridge isn't the best looking bridge out there but has the advantage of individual string height and intonation adjustments and the sustain is outstanding.

Way to make it your own! I've heard about that bridge before but have never seen it installed on a LP type guitar. So does it really help you set

everything up to your perfect playing height and spacing? It seems there's a lot of metal there, did it change the tone of your guitar, or did you

install it after the pickup swap which would make it too hard to tell? By the way I like the new hardware much better than the gold stuff! I would

put a regular pickguard on there though, not like that old pointy one that you had on there, but the one that follows the body contour.

Congrats on making it the way you wanted, both sonically and aesthetically!

Thanks for the feedback. On the Babicz bridge I can't really isolate the impact because I made all the changes at the same time. The Babicz bridge gives you full control over individual string height and individual intonation, however, I don't belive you can change string spacing as each "saddle" or eCam they call it bumps up against the one next to it. They claim this contact as well as the fact that the bridge actually sits against the body of the guitar generates more sustain than a traditional Nashville style bridge. In fairness, since you can make your own grooves on a Nashville style bridge you can affect string spacing with it. The Babicz tail piece and bridge are made out of aluminum so while the bridge is larger it is very lightweight.

Here is a YouTube link from the Babicz site where they are putting the Stop Tail and Bridge on a LP

Congrats on your new H147. It looks so much better with the chrome/silver hardware. I did the same thing to my blue 147. The gold really clashed with the blue finish!

Black beauties, IMO, are the only solid body guitars that look good with gold hardware. But they look good with chrome too.

Great job all the way around, really nice. That larger bridge is a nice contrast with all that Black going on. The gold hardware thing reminds me of something I heard Jerry Garcia say once about the Grateful Dead "Were kind of like buttermilk, you either love us or you hate us".

So far very good. With the Jimmy Page wiring you have a lot of tonal options, still working through them to see which I like best. Slider you inspired me with the MOP buttons, I ordered a set last night from Guitar Parts Resource, when I receive then I'll see how close they re to the headstock binding, if necessary, I'll relic them a little.

Cool.

A little "tip"; It looks like your frets have some oxidation (maybe it's the photo) and could use a polish. Get some 0000 steel wool and a fret guide. The difference in playability after they're polished is amazing.

polishing-brass-frets-ukulele.jpg

My favorite tool in the box as I hate dragging frets! I then use rubbing compound on the frets after the steel wool. SMOOTH!!!

Archived