Heritage Owners Club

Lunch-Tone Report: Swart AST Pro

barrymclark

As some may know, I am on a quest to find my 40th birthday amp. Like any search, it starts pretty wide open and leaves you trying many, many amps. A little while ago, I played my first two Swarts and I was absolutely in love with the tone. It certainly left me thinking that a Swart could well be the brand of my 40th amp with the ST Stereo model in the lead running.

I have also been in contact with Kelly at Swart about what I have experienced with Swart amps and which model might be a better fit. The suggestion was made that I try an AST Pro... and even after my raving about the ST Stereo, the suggestion of trying an AST Pro was reinforced. Well, Southern Guitars here in Cartersville, GA just received one so I wandered on down to give it a swing.

I brought my Heritage Eagle to try out the amp. First chord through it and I could hear George Takei saying, "Oh, my!" It wasn't as room filling as the Stereo (expected) but it was somehow perfect. I dialed the tremelo effect back to where it barely registered a warp in the sound and had the reverb on what would maybe come to a 4 on a dial.

It truly felt like I couldn't play anything wrong. Everything just dripped with soulful voice. Even mindless noodling almost sounded like there was intent.

It almost feels like my 40th birthday amp is now less of a question about what brand and more about what model. I gotta say... the AST Pro has some things going for it on my checklist.

• It's a combo (not a separate head and speaker cabinet system).
  • It's light (lighter than my Cube anyways).
  • Sounds like a dream at low levels.
  • I can just look at it and feel satisfied.

If you are in to that old school jazz and blues tone... I highly, HIGHLY recommend trying one of these out.

http://www.swartamps.com/amplifiers_swart_AST_PRO.htm

ast_pro-gv_front1_950.jpg

This would be a great choice for an amp! Swart does trem and reverb combos great! I've said it before, one of the best tones I've heard up close and personal was my Gibson ES330 reissue straight into a Swart STR tremolo. When you plug straight in Swarts deliver the goods. You should also audition a Victoria Regal II if you can. I love mine.

This would be a great choice for an amp! Swart does trem and reverb combos great! I've said it before, one of the best tones I've heard up close and personal was my Gibson ES330 reissue straight into a Swart STR tremolo. When you plug straight in Swarts deliver the goods. You should also audition a Victoria Regal II if you can. I love mine.

If I get the opportunity, I certainly will! :)

Sounds like a winner whatever you decide, looks like a little tank too.

Yeah, I am pretty sure I'd would be eternally happy with either. I am really happy that I am taking this ridiculously slow approach to finding the right amp for me. It gives me the opportunity to really spend time with an amp and even come back and try it again if I had any doubts. If I go the Swart route, then an order will likely be placed mid to late April. :)

I like Swarts a lot, but I personally wish they'd make more amps without the tremolo. I played one with the tremolo turned off, but I still heard a faint tremolo-type sound (clicking?) coming from the tremolo tube. Good luck in your search!

I like Swarts a lot, but I personally wish they'd make more amps without the tremolo. I played one with the tremolo turned off, but I still heard a faint tremolo-type sound (clicking?) coming from the tremolo tube. Good luck in your search!

Can you pull the tube associated with the tremolo?

Granted, I was maybe not in a spot to hear the most faint of sounds, but I heard nothing when I had the trem off with the switch. It was in a music store, but it was right at open and I was the only one in there and no piped music. Pretty quiet.

That amp must have had an issue. The ones that I heard didn't do that.

What kind of tremolo is it? There are a couple ways I know how to get it, one is the "Opto bug" type like in my Super Reverb, another is the bias modulated type used in my Lectrolab and Harmony amps. The opto bug type is known for making a slight ticking sound. There are ways to get around that, though. The bias wiggler varies the bias to the output tubes, in that case it's possible to see the output tubes' blue glow pulsating in brightness at the same rate as the Tremolo frequency/rate.

What kind of tremolo is it? There are a couple ways I know how to get it, one is the "Opto bug" type like in my Super Reverb, another is the bias modulated type used in my Lectrolab and Harmony amps. The opto bug type is known for making a slight ticking sound. There are ways to get around that, though. The bias wiggler varies the bias to the output tubes, in that case it's possible to see the output tubes' blue glow pulsating in brightness at the same rate as the Tremolo frequency/rate.

Whatever the awesome one is. haha. I honestly don't know.

I think the only ones that don't have trem are the 5w jobs.

You may be right. My Swart STR didn't have it, and it sounded glorious! Unfortunately, I didn't use it that much, so I sold it recently.

I built an 18W with trem and would never build one again. I'm also in sticker shock of that Swart amp and it comes with cheap new production tubes.

I have an 18 watt with a Trem that my friend Paul Blandford built, it's called the "English Rose" and it ROCKS! Here it is with the H150 in my sig,

plugged straight in! https://soundcloud.com/daniel-weldon-1/peter-green-pickups-in-h150

Here's the amp... LesPaulSpecialandTheEnglishRose.jpg

And Swart amps are worth the price, they sound great!

Archived