Heritage Owners Club

Soliciting your input

jaywolfe

I wonder if the guitar was ordered from that dealer? Probably not and that is why this dealer got upset. A little selfish and greedy. Now the progress pics are a feature of this site we can't enjoy. I guess we aren't supposed to enjoy pics of guitars ordered from EVERY dealer???

No sense on digging up that old carcass.......The guys inside who were actually providing the "In Progress Pic" pics stopped visiting the HOC over year ago. Truth be told, the HOC isn't super popular with those cats anyhow.

Whether the dealer who called up 225 squawking wants to explain their side of the story or not doesn't really matter......That boat sailed a long time ago and will never return.

(Insert flatulence sound effect)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if the guitar was ordered from that dealer? Probably not and that is why this dealer got upset. A little selfish and greedy. Now the progress pics are a feature of this site we can't enjoy. I guess we aren't supposed to enjoy pics of guitars ordered from EVERY dealer???

Not even remotely true. Anyone wanting the truth- e-mail: wolfeguitars@comcast.net for a factual explanation of why the Heritage owners, and not me, shut down the progress photos. I actually appreciated them & asked them to do them. The Heritage owners said "no way.". Best to have some facts before smearing someone's name. I would appreciate that common courtesy.

Jay Wolfe

Not even remotely true. Anyone wanting the truth- e-mail: wolfeguitars@comcast.net for a factual explanation of why the Heritage owners, and not me, shut down the progress photos. I actually appreciated them & asked them to do them. The Heritage owners said "no way.". Best to have some facts before smearing someone's name. I would appreciate that common courtesy.

Jay Wolfe

No dealer was mentioned. Not sure how anyone could assume which dealer it was or wasn't.

Lets not shoot arrows and get back on topic. Can we bury the hatchet?

No dealer was mentioned. Not sure how anyone could assume which dealer it was or wasn't.

Lets not shoot arrows and get back on topic. Can we bury the hatchet?

Well,

I was unfairly accused with this issue and I assumed you meant me. Sorry for my mistake. As I said- anyone wanting an explanation of "Photogate" - just e-mail me. I'm sorry John for jumping to conclusions with your post. I have no axe to grind with you and appreciated your business in past years. I'm just quite sensitive about this issue. All the best in 2016.

Jay Wolfe

Forgive any duplication; I have not read each and every comment.

As a customer, here's what would keep me buying Heritage Guitars:

1) Whatever you do, please do not sacrifice quality. No plastic where mother of pearl/abalone has always been used. Keep the finish nitro, don't go poly. Quality above everything, and "sky is the limit" customization.

2) If you must, for whatever reason, create mass produced models, keep the quality high and don't make too many models; maybe one or two entry level or simple design, plank-type guitars? Keep production at Parsons Street, if possible; if not, keep it in Kalamazoo.

No other thoughts occur to me at this point.

I have 3 H150s, (2 from Jay, 1 from HOC), and I have to say that consistency has its place, but it's not an end-all. All 3 of mine play completely differently and sound completely different (I use the same pickups in all 3 guitars, Bill & Becky Lawrence). To me, that's part of the charm. I use them for different stuff; one is set up for drop-D as it seems to really like the woofy stuff, one is set up with a Stetsbar, as it has a slimmer neck and that seems to be right for the whammy stuff (which, in my case, is usually classic metal or southern boogie), and my main one is the black-and-tan with a slightly chunkier neck that I use 60% or more of the time. Point is, I do guitar repair (or used to, not too much spare time these days), and whenever I set up the G-brand stuff and tried it out, I'd A/B it with my black-and-tan. The G-brand stuff always sounded flat and 2-dimensional, the Heritage always resonated and sounded like the real thing I've listened to on albums for my whole life.

I guess what I'm saying is that with all the minor imperfections the Heritage guitars have (there's always one minor flaw in all of mine, all different), they have character that way, and then end up leaning to one thing or another. Jack-of-all-trade guitars, to me, hold no appeal. I'll probably never sell my 1987 PRS that I ordered from the dealer, but I never seem to play it, as it's so perfect that it's lifeless in comparison. If there's too much perfection, there's too little soul.

Just speaking my mind. Don't improve things too much on the build end, the magic might go away. If I could afford it, I'd buy 5 more of them, all H150s, or maybe a 357, because I know they'd all be different and shine in different ways.

Oh, and an SG would be cool, but I can't see how that could get around the patent without losing the perfect shape. I think the H140 fits the SG bill really well.

rooster.

Here's hoping the new new owners aren't trying to grow big.

The US guitar market is crowded; so crowded that production has been moving offshore. The electric guitar is a mature product in a very mature, very competitive market and nobody is going to reinvent the guitar much sooner than someone reinvents the wheel.

What Heritage has going for it that makes it different is it's address, and the cache that comes from that 'vintage built yesterday' thing. Change that and you're just one more guitar builder trying to sell $3,000 guitars in a market where the average sale is more like $300.

For now, they got a thing going, and it works for them. Maybe the new owners can incrementally squeeze a bit more profit out of each instrument, or find a way to increase sales beyond current levels. If they do, I'll predict it will happen gradually over time. No-one has enough dollars to make Heritage into a Fender, Gibson, or Taylor grade competitor. That's not to say that one of those large companies couldn't capture the Heritage brand and use it as a mass market a 'vintage built yesterday' line of product. But I doubt the new buyer(s) carry that sort of weight in the market place.

I'm just hoping for a solid hand-off to a committed new management that is dedicated to the long term success of the business.

What I would like to see is a museum at the factory highlighting all The Heritage models, pictures and stories.Tours. Also, I think it would be pretty cool if there was a room at the factory with all the current models, different style amps, that could be played by potential customers with dealer index so orders could be placed. The index should only include dealers that carry inventory, because they are the ones with skin in the game. Peace, Stephen

As someone who is trying to have a Heritage built for them I would like to see the website updated so you could build a guitar online and get a ball park price for it. Instead I have to contact several dealers for the same build and wait a week + for a reply. I just hope that when they do sell that they are bought by people who know and love guitars. Rather then some bean counter telling them that they have to make them this way and use these parts to save money. (think post CBS Fender)

Keep the Heritage!!! Also no offshoring of the builds. Thats whats keeping me from trying an Eastman...( plus they have ugly headstocks lol )

I have 3 H150s, (2 from Jay, 1 from HOC), and I have to say that consistency has its place, but it's not an end-all. All 3 of mine play completely differently and sound completely different (I use the same pickups in all 3 guitars, Bill & Becky Lawrence). To me, that's part of the charm. I use them for different stuff; one is set up for drop-D as it seems to really like the woofy stuff, one is set up with a Stetsbar, as it has a slimmer neck and that seems to be right for the whammy stuff (which, in my case, is usually classic metal or southern boogie), and my main one is the black-and-tan with a slightly chunkier neck that I use 60% or more of the time. Point is, I do guitar repair (or used to, not too much spare time these days), and whenever I set up the G-brand stuff and tried it out, I'd A/B it with my black-and-tan. The G-brand stuff always sounded flat and 2-dimensional, the Heritage always resonated and sounded like the real thing I've listened to on albums for my whole life.

I guess what I'm saying is that with all the minor imperfections the Heritage guitars have (there's always one minor flaw in all of mine, all different), they have character that way, and then end up leaning to one thing or another. Jack-of-all-trade guitars, to me, hold no appeal. I'll probably never sell my 1987 PRS that I ordered from the dealer, but I never seem to play it, as it's so perfect that it's lifeless in comparison. If there's too much perfection, there's too little soul.

Just speaking my mind. Don't improve things too much on the build end, the magic might go away. If I could afford it, I'd buy 5 more of them, all H150s, or maybe a 357, because I know they'd all be different and shine in different ways.

Oh, and an SG would be cool, but I can't see how that could get around the patent without losing the perfect shape. I think the H140 fits the SG bill really well.

rooster.

Rooster, I presently have 4 150's and have sold 3 others over the years. That means I would have 7 if I didn't need cash for a different guitar at some point, but I sure agree with you, cannot have too many of that model!

Here's hoping the new new owners aren't trying to grow big.

The US guitar market is crowded; so crowded that production has been moving offshore. The electric guitar is a mature product in a very mature, very competitive market and nobody is going to reinvent the guitar much sooner than someone reinvents the wheel.

What Heritage has going for it that makes it different is it's address, and the cache that comes from that 'vintage built yesterday' thing. Change that and you're just one more guitar builder trying to sell $3,000 guitars in a market where the average sale is more like $300.

For now, they got a thing going, and it works for them. Maybe the new owners can incrementally squeeze a bit more profit out of each instrument, or find a way to increase sales beyond current levels. If they do, I'll predict it will happen gradually over time. No-one has enough dollars to make Heritage into a Fender, Gibson, or Taylor grade competitor. That's not to say that one of those large companies couldn't capture the Heritage brand and use it as a mass market a 'vintage built yesterday' line of product. But I doubt the new buyer(s) carry that sort of weight in the market place.

I'm just hoping for a solid hand-off to a committed new management that is dedicated to the long term success of the business.

+1000

For the social media aspect I follow G&L on Facebook, which regularly posts images of a complete guitar or bass and where it's going. Seems a small thing, but it keeps a smaller guitar builder in mind. I also agree on dramatically improving the website.

Finally, from what I've seen I also think Heritage could find a better way to make production markedly better and more consistent while keeping much of the craft in its guitars. For instance, maybe look at how some of the smaller to mid-sized acoustic makers do things, such as Huss & Dalton, Santa Cruz and even Collings. Granted they are in a somewhat different market--and I don't know how good of a position those companies are in--but they all seem to have made an impact consistently making exceptional instruments using a combination of technology, design and traditional lutherie.

Overall, though, best of luck. I hope this works out well and Heritage will continue to be around for quite some time.

This goes hand-in-hand with the ability to fully customize one's guitar, but I would love it if I were able to order a guitar with any manner of pickups I so choose, from Bare Knuckle to Motor City to Throbak. Seymour Duncan just does not cut it, for me, anymore.

Also, the ability to order directly from the company via a decent and functional website would be wonderful.

And, most importantly, a vast improvement in the fretwork and set-up department. Someone totally "grandpa'd" the fret job on my H555.

-Alec

• 3 weeks later...

New blood???

Here's a promo vid that I'd like to see done for all the Heritage signature models. I find this vid to be both interesting and informative.

Great vid, Polo. Thanks for sharing it.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

• 2 months later...

Bingo.

Woodsmithing is a learned art, not something a computer will ever know. You make 1 neck then 10 , 100, 1,000, 10,000... You find that there are nuances to the medium. Perhaps a different cut angle and little waste of raw material gives a significant improvement to the overall instrument. A CNC is presented a jiged block of material and does its thing regardless of the outcome. A skilled human hand knows options throughout the process and can react when the non-homogeneous wood tells them it's time. Yes, there are more CNC'd guitars per unit time. More duds too. Look no further than Tenn.

What he said!

In view of the OP's request for constructive suggestions, comments and recommendations about the future of Heritage Guitars, let's try to avoid personal attacks on current Heritage employees...or one another. It never ends well.

A tiny bit of decorum goes a long way.

Here, here!

Archived