Heritage Owners Club

Soliciting your input

jaywolfe

- Create a viewable S/N registry. (This would reinforce the exclusivity of the brand)

Disagree. I don't see the advantage of that and it would be expensive to build.

- Go back to stenciling serial numbers, the hand written S/N's usually look pretty sad IMHO.

Disagree. Just find someone who has good handwriting (usually a girl) and have that individual use a sharp gold paint marker (just like PRS does).

I like your style soldier!

My thought about the s/n registry was derived from this this site which exclusively celebrates iconic LP's... http://www.burstserial.com/index.php?/category/890....."warning, don't click on this if you don't have a considerable amount of time to kill".

I agree that the handwritten S/N could be acceptable if they were neatly applied with a quality paint pen.

(4 out of the 5 hand written s/n I own look like they were applied by a crayon weilding toddler....I kid, I kid....it is sort of true though.)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like your style soldier!

My thought about the s/n registry was derived from this this site which exclusively celebrates iconic LP's... http://www.burstserial.com/index.php?/category/890....."warning, don't click on this if you don't have a considerable amount of time to kill".

I agree that the handwritten S/N could be acceptable if they were neatly applied with a quality paint pen.

(4 out of the 5 hand written s/n I own look like they were applied by a crayon weilding toddler....I kid, I kid....it is sort of true though.)

Actually, I forgot that we have a Guitar Registry right here in the HOC. Why reinvent the wheel? The Heritage web site has a link to this web site and this web site has a registry/ So I guess we don't need to reinvent the wheel.

As for the handwriting, yes, I understand. I believe Marv is the culprit. (See photo attached.)

post-679-0-36316800-1451130662_thumb.jpg

In order to be more competitive in tharket place I think a good web sit is key, modern, show some of the building process, capitalize on the craftsmanship, pictures of old hands feeling the wood and ears listening to the tone of a raw price of Mohogany.

CNC is a must to be competitive, though that does not mean craftsmanship is. Bodies and neck shapes can be roughed out with one and joints can be very accurite.

Bridge the gap between the big companies like Gibson and the small luthier that are specialized like Terry Mcinturff. Don't just offer the option of light woods offer tone matching woods too. It can be done on the arch tops, expand that to the solid guitars too. Light woods are great and marketable but do not mean great tone always. Market this approach and show it as a step beyond the big companies. Heritage may be a big company but they still retain what started on Parsons St, great instruments with quality build and great tone.

At the risk of being burned at the stake I say add some curves to the head stock. The subject follows Heritage through so many forum threads and really is a deal breaker for some potential buyers. Say what you will about those could be buyers, if they do not buy then Heritage is not moving forward in the market.

Have all guitars perfectly playable from the factory. I have owned 3 heritages and played many others. The fret work and nuts could be better set up. The quality of materials is there it just needs the final touch.

This, of course is what I meant to write all along, yea, that's the ticket. Did you know Brooke Shields is my sister? I'd talk more, but I'm meeting Leonardo DiCaprio for coffee.....Ummmmmm, yea, yea, that's the ticket.

Thank you Polo for writing what was in my head.

.......and no CNC machines.

So that means Andre Agassi is your ex brother in law. How cool is that!

Fire Marv

I really hope he is kidding. Really Brent.

Actually, I forgot that we have a Guitar Registry right here in the HOC. Why reinvent the wheel? The Heritage web site has a link to this web site and this web site has a registry/ So I guess we don't need to reinvent the wheel.

As for the handwriting, yes, I understand. I believe Marv is the culprit. (See photo attached.)

The stenciling looked professional. The handwritten s/n's look totally junior varsity.

Lots of good commentary on this thread. I certainly hope the "Heritage" headstock is not changed just because a minority of people feel it is detrimental to selling Heritage guitars. The symmetry and shape are perfect. To expect a company taking over Heritage and NOT using modernized production methods is just living in the past and a sure fire recipe for not being able to compete. Unless the new company wants to continue the tradition of only producing 7 to 10 guitars per day as is the case now, there is no way they can attain the production numbers that they probably want using the current manufacturing methods. As many others have stated in this thread, you can still retain the "Heritage" hand made tradition without doing everything by hand.

So that means Andre Agassi is your ex brother in law. How cool is that!

I really hope he is kidding. Really Brent.

The stenciling looked professional. The handwritten s/n's look totally junior varsity.

How do you like these cookies Will? Look pretty good, eh? (See attached.)

post-679-0-56255400-1451162910_thumb.jpg

post-679-0-93755600-1451162918_thumb.jpg

What manner of guitars are those? LOL!! ;)

hahaha Some local guy, not far from here, decided to build a guitar factory in the dead middle of the Chesapeake Bay where he and his island of misfit guitar making elves make guitars. They use CnC machines to do the laborious and time consuming grunt work of carving neck profiles, pickup routes and Maple body tops (which saves a lot of money and ensures a uniform consistency) and then the elves build the rest of the guitars using as little glue nitro as possible. He is local to me the same way Heritage is local to our Michigan brothers. Heritage could learn a couple of things from that guy regarding some of the things which have been mentioned previously.

hahaha Some local guy, not far from here, decided to build a guitar factory in the dead middle of the Chesapeake Bay where he and his island of misfit guitar making elves make guitars. They use CnC machines to do the laborious and time consuming grunt work of carving neck profiles, pickup routes and Maple body tops (which saves a lot of money and ensures a uniform consistency) and then the elves build the rest of the guitars using as little glue nitro as possible. He is local to me the same way Heritage is local to our Michigan brothers. Heritage could learn a couple of things from that guy regarding some of the things which have been mentioned previously.

Awesome Hangar. Great writing.

I think they would be THRILLED to produce 7-10 guitars per day. I am not sure that has ever happened at Heritage.

That is what I heard John, maybe that number has gone down.

How do you like these cookies Will? Look pretty good, eh? (See attached.)

Very nice. But I still always liked the stamped numbers, but that girl's handwriting is very nice. I would like to see a photo of her.

That is what I heard John, maybe that number has gone down.

Very nice. But I still always liked the stamped numbers, but that girl's handwriting is very nice. I would like to see a photo of her.

In the 10 years or so I have visited the plant the number I heard was around 4 a day. 48 working weeks x 5 days (when they used to work on Fridays) = 240. 240 x 10 = 2,400. That never happened. I was told about 1,000-1,200 on good years.

In the 10 years or so I have visited the plant the number I heard was around 4 a day. 48 working weeks x 5 days (when they used to work on Fridays) = 240. 240 x 10 = 2,400. That never happened. I was told about 1,000-1,200 on good years.

That kind of makes sense, given there are only a dozen employees. Small batches, great quality!

I commented on this in a different post but it more appropriately belongs here. Having read through the comments here the CNC shaping of necks might not be a bad thing from a player’s standpoint. You could choose a ’59 or early 60’s neck profile that would be very consistent. From a manufacturing and profitability standpoint CNC of necks and tops definitely makes sense but I still have conflicting feelings about it. Below were my initial thoughts.

I’ve more than once day dreamed about purchasing Heritage. The following would be essential in my opinion:

1: Keeping the current knowledgeable and experienced work force intact (i.e. stay in Kalamazoo).

2: Continued use of quality materials.

3: Continue to hand build guitars the old school way, with the old school machinery (possibly in a new building if necessary).

4: Continue to offer custom orders with custom options like bound headstock, RS Guitarworks electronics, ThroBak pickups, etc.

5: Most importantly, keep the founders around as long as possible so you can learn as much about how the company operates from the building process, material selection, dealer relationships, etc., etc., etc., etc.

Now with profitability being a factor as a new owner there are two things I would do.

1: Marketing. Updating the website would be essential. Advertising on guitar websites and magazines. “We only build signature model guitars. Your signature model.”

2: I would offer two headstock options on every guitar. The current version that most of us now love but probably didn’t like initially if we are being honest. Also offer a new unique design that is beautiful like Gibson, PRS or [insert your favorite here].

I believe that the biggest reason Heritage is not more widely accepted, appreciated and so forth is due to the headstock. I obviously have no market research to back that statement, just an opinion. It’s a shame that more people don’t give Heritage a chance due solely on a headstock. I believe a new simple but beautiful headstock option and some marketing would do wonders, assuming all else remain the same.

Hopefully Heritage will be around for generations to come building the same guitars we love today. Good luck to the current owners, employees and new owners. I look forward to the future. A heartfelt “Thank you” to the founders and all involved in making these great guitars currently and in the past.

Use a distinctive tailpiece like the "H" again.

It distinguishes the brand just like the headstock.

Generics just look like what was chosen was in stock at Allparts that day.

Stop using imported toggle switches on premium guitars.

As many have already mentioned, an online presence and one of the 22 employees engaged completely in communication all of the time. Even just an active Facebook page managed by the company would help bond people to the brand and expand their market.

Whether that's responding to dealers, customers, or outbound communication with updates on custom builds in progress, it makes a huge difference in the experience of purchasing a guitar, especially when the time between ordering a receiving the finished product can vary so drastically. When I read other sites talking about small batch and custom builders, the number one complaint is that they never heard back from the builder, had to follow up, only to hear something like "I'm still waiting on....". As soon as a delay is encountered, outbound communication should go out at a minimum to the dealer, who should follow up directly with the customer. As a customer, I would expect to kept in the loop.

When they were posting pictures of builds in process, I thought that was really cool. I know there was some reason they stopped doing it, but again, that's part of the experience that has a huge value to the person purchasing the guitar. To me, that's what makes it custom. Watching them turn hunks of wood into beautiful instruments. Those are the kind of things that make it worthwhile to have a custom guitar built.

yep the progress pics were fantastic.

I can't recall why they stopped, probably due to somebody whining about something?

but someplace like a facebook page, or an "in-progress" page on their site, would be a good avenue for those again

Use a distinctive tailpiece like the "H" again.

It distinguishes the brand just like the headstock.

Generics just look like what was chosen was in stock at Allparts that day.

Stop using imported toggle switches on premium guitars.

+1 !!

those "H" tailpieces were awesome

yep the progress pics were fantastic.

I can't recall why they stopped, probably due to somebody whining about something?

but someplace like a facebook page, or an "in-progress" page on their site, would be a good avenue for those again

A dealer (I won't say who) called and complained, not sure why?

Not to pile on but there are actually the are 22 employees. :icon_study:

I slipped a digit!!

A dealer (I won't say who) called and complained, not sure why?

I wonder if the guitar was ordered from that dealer? Probably not and that is why this dealer got upset. A little selfish and greedy. Now the progress pics are a feature of this site we can't enjoy. I guess we aren't supposed to enjoy pics of guitars ordered from EVERY dealer???

Archived