Heritage Owners Club

Quick review: Quilter 101 Mini Head

LK155

Allen Holdsworth has been using a pair of the Aviator 12" combos lately with a pair of 1-12" ext cabs. As I understand it he's using a combo and an ext cab for each of his clean and dirty sounds allowing for separate efx chains for each. Thought I'd give the idea a try so last week I got a second Quilter, this time a Pro Block 200 to go with my Tone Block 200, switching between the two with a Fulltone ABY-HT and I really like this setup.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone tried using an Effectrode Blackbird preamp with a Tone Block power amp?

The Blackbird looks like a nice unit.

Then all that's left is the eternal question about which speaker to use to get a classic blackface sound...

Mr B

Has anyone tried using an Effectrode Blackbird preamp with a Tone Block power amp?

The Blackbird looks like a nice unit.

Then all that's left is the eternal question about which speaker to use to get a classic blackface sound...

Mr B

After seeing/hearing it on YT it reminds me quite a bit of the Ethos Overdrive preamp that I use with one of my Quilters, I think you would be very impressed how it sounds. All three of the new Block series amps have efx loops with power-amp in's so you can bypass the internal preamp using just the Blackbird if so desired.

After seeing/hearing it on YT it reminds me quite a bit of the Ethos Overdrive preamp that I use with one of my Quilters, I think you would be very impressed how it sounds. All three of the new Block series amps have efx loops with power-amp in's so you can bypass the internal preamp using just the Blackbird if so desired.

Having said that, if you don't already own the Blackbird I would strongly suggest you check out the Ethos Overdrive Preamp. A truly fine SS analog preamp that gives you everything the Blackbird does and much more depending on your budget.

The Ethos does look interesting, but (without having ever tried it myself),

I'm skeptical about a guitar sounding like a guitar without the warm glow

of tubes. I've heard too many lifeless solid state combo amps, particularly

the ones aimed at 'jazz' players. Running through a solid state power amp,

like the Tone Block, I would be hard pressed not to use a tube preamp.

Mr B

• 1 month later...

Just got a Quilter mini 101 today. It sounds really good. Just played about an hour with the gain on 5, jazz setting and EQ's on straight up. Seems to give a nice Fender chime.

Cycled through the voices with EQ straight up and they all sound good. some with more or less bass.

If anyone has a favorite setting let me know. Obviously there's something for everyone. Playing through a 212 cabinet with a WGS ET60 and a Reg Fang.

Into a 2X12, in my small music room, I have gravitated to this:

GAIN: 3 or less

TRI-Q: 12 o'clock (flat)

VOICE: SURF (no contest)

HI-CUT: 7 o'clock (flat)

MASTER: flavour to choice, but usually about halfway between 0 and 2W.

Note that if you're running the HI-CUT straight up (12 o'clock), you're rolling off some highs.

Senior member Kuz had a little taste of my 101 yesterday at PSP9, so maybe he'll offer some comments. He was playing his brown-face (hope that's the correct terminology) Fender Deluxe last night, and in fact we used the Deluxe's speaker with the Quilter during that brief teaser session.

Sorry about that, Rich. You were putting the finishing touches on your PA system setup.

And out of respect for John's speaker, we didn't get it loud at all.

The whole thing took maybe two minutes.

LK155, will give those settings a try. I was on surf voice this afternoon. Liked it a lot with my jazzmaster. The jazz voice sounds good too. I can tell there's a plethora on tones with this little amp. Glad it bought it.

• 3 weeks later...

Since this thread was hijacked :hijacked: , I'm going to take it back...

A local shop near me now carries the Quilter Line. While they didn't have a 101, they did have several models.

there was a Tone Block 201 (which I didn't try)

But, I did try MicroPro 8 Mach 2 Guitar Combo Amplifier (200W in a 1x8 combo)

The amp sounded great, it was nice to set it up to the verge of breakup, but still be clean when playing lightly. Onboard Reverb and Tremolo also sounded great.

I declined to purchase the amp, despite how much I like it. The amp itself, was a bit expensive, ($950). But I see it on eBay at $625 (new at $975).

Aaaah, don't get hung up on the price, it's not the price that counts, it's the value... that does. And it looks like that Quilter thang has value going on in spades.

You can't roll tubes in one to change the tone, you sure can roll 'em in some sort of tube preamp before the front end though.

Am thinking that the first guy to hook up a Mesa V-Twin or Siegmund DoubleDrive pedal in front of a Quilter is gonna be very, very, giddy.

I bought my MP8 Mach 2 used with the 6-button pedal and cover for $800, so there are some deals out there. It is so light it isn't funny, and has a great sound to it. I think I still want a little tube amp or two, but if I gigged, the Quilter would be the one coming out.

I bought my MP8 Mach 2 used with the 6-button pedal and cover for $800, so there are some deals out there. It is so light it isn't funny, and has a great sound to it. I think I still want a little tube amp or two, but if I gigged, the Quilter would be the one coming out.

That particular model has a microphone/ 1/4" input on the second that boasts about an acoustic input. Have you tried it with an acoustic guitar yet? (I did see a guy use a bass guitar through it, which albeit very clean, seemed passible as a bass amp)

That particular model has a microphone/ 1/4" input on the second that boasts about an acoustic input. Have you tried it with an acoustic guitar yet? (I did see a guy use a bass guitar through it, which albeit very clean, seemed passible as a bass amp)

Yes I have, and it sounds great. I've used it as a mic amp and also as running an MP3 player to it. It's a very neutral set up, which I hear isn't as much the case with the 10" and 12" speakers, but I personally have not tried those models.

I think the Micropro 8 also has a limiter which many review say adds some tube like "sag" to the sound. Not sure how to describe it but must make the amp sound more like a tube amp.

I love the 101 mini. It just sounds great, flip a switch and its ready. Like the surf setting with triQ and Eq about straight up with the gain around 5. Playing through a 12" WGS VETERAN.

I prefer the amp head versions of the Quiter amps instead of the combo's because I have so many different types and sizes of speakers and speaker cabs that I really don't need or want any more. My favorite Quilter so far is the Pro Block 200 which like the more expensive Quilter combos has a limiter knob on it as well as reverb. I find the limiter on mine set around 1:00 o'clock most of the time, It really does add some "tube sag" to the tone. It's fun also using all the different cabs because they all sound so different. It's tough to pick a favorite but the one that see's the most use is a Lopoline 1-15" cab loaded with an Eminence Commonwealth speaker, which is their version of the mighty JBL-D130 from back in the 60's-70's. Sadly this speaker is no longer in production but I did manage to get two before they pulled the plug on this all to short lived speaker. You would never believe such a small package could possibly sound so HUGE but it does.

Hello guys, I'm Guido from Italy.

I'm interested to Quilter 101 mini head or to Pro Block 201.

I play jazz and blues now with old Roland Cube 60 chorus that has some problems in electronics.

So I would replace amp with a mini DA head and use the cab

Mi questione are

- Quilter head world dell with overdrive in input ?

- 101 mini head doesn't have a line out .

To connect with sound card or mixer, using a simulatipn Cab like ADA GCS2 or GCS3 or Pallet PDI09 ,through phone out or per send ? Someone say yes others day no.

- both head can works without cab for quite practice ?

- 201 balanced out has speaker emulation or some eq correction

The most important quality is transparence in tone, respect of the instrument sound expecially with hollow and semi hollow guitar

Bye

From what I've seen and read, you can use either amp head without a cabinet using headphones for silent practice. If you want to go directly to a mixer or sound board, you'd need the 201.

When I used the MicroPro, I used a semi-hollow G&L ASAT. I didn't have any feedback issues and to my ears, the amp did react like a tube amp. I was very impressed.

Guido59, the 101 has a headphone jack that can be used as a digital out. I haven't use it but they say you can.

The amp sounds great. Haven't used my tube amps since the 101 arrived. The surf voice seems to have the most presence to me. That said all the voices are noticeably different and of course can be tweaked with the triQ and hi cut to find a sound you like.

I plugged my OCD pedal directly into the amp for a little overdrive but there's an effects loop too.

I don't need 200 watts or direct out so the 101 is perfect.

Hello jmac.

I'm very happy to read your experience.

Direct out is a priority for me, emulated or not.100 watts it's enough for me

Happy OCD works dell I have one.

A question Wii giù set digital out when talk of headphone out ?

I have also ADA GCS-3 pedal can emulator with headphone out so I try directly how works headphone out.

I notice that headphone out has no level so it can must controlled with gain and Out watt , right ?

Quilter update:

OK really enjoying this amp. Pulled in my Royal Albert Hall (RAH) and played some LedZep. Best tone I have ever gotten out of that pedal. Gain on 3, Full Q voice and it just sounded great.

Also have a Catalinbread Formula 5 that sounds pretty good as does the OCD.

Can anyone explain the effects loop and why that instead of going directly into the amp.

Guido59, I think the master volume/watts knob controls the headphone volume.

Can anyone explain the effects loop and why that instead of going directly into the amp.

The added efx loop is in response to customer requests. As with other amps that have efx loops all efx that normally go in front of the amp such as compression, distortion, boosts, wahs, etc, should still be in front of the amp while time based efx such as delay, reverb, chorus, flanger, phase shifter, etc should go in the loop.

Archived