Heritage Owners Club

H535 v H575

Teo22

Greetings,

This is my first post to this forum, and hopefully not the last. I've found a 2009 H575 for sale for $2K and wanted to get some general opinions etc. I haven't seen it yet but wanted to get some info before I do. Apparently it's in great shape. I noticed that Heritage no longer makes the H575 and was wondering why, and also how it compares and what is different from an H535, a guitar that I have played in the past. Some of the specs for the h575:

"It has a late-50s medium C-shape mahogany neck (that classic "'59 shape"; it's incredibly comfortable), dual Seymour Duncan Seth Lover pickups (wound to PAF specs on a Leesona 102 winding machine that Gibson used to wind the first humbuckers in the 50s), Grover tuners, and Heritage's absolutely gorgeous dark almond sunburst finish (sprayed with classic nitrocellulose lacquer, as all the best vintage guitars use)."

Do any of you have any cautionary tales about the H575?

Thanks in Advance,

Ken

Greetings,

This is my first post to this forum, and hopefully not the last. I've found a 2009 H575 for sale for $2K and wanted to get some general opinions etc. I haven't seen it yet but wanted to get some info before I do. Apparently it's in great shape. I noticed that Heritage no longer makes the H575 and was wondering why, and also how it compares and what is different from an H535, a guitar that I have played in the past. Some of the specs for the h575:

"It has a late-50s medium C-shape mahogany neck (that classic "'59 shape"; it's incredibly comfortable), dual Seymour Duncan Seth Lover pickups (wound to PAF specs on a Leesona 102 winding machine that Gibson used to wind the first humbuckers in the 50s), Grover tuners, and Heritage's absolutely gorgeous dark almond sunburst finish (sprayed with classic nitrocellulose lacquer, as all the best vintage guitars use)."

Do any of you have any cautionary tales about the H575?

Thanks in Advance,

Ken

Welcome to the Salad Bar,

My cautionary advice would be to actually play both models before making a decision as they are 2 entirely different animals.

Both models are still in productioand widely available.

Teo, welcome to the HoC.

I'm thinking you might want to do some more research on the two guitars. They are quite different.

The H575 is a Hollow Body guitar. Still readily available, and quite well thought of. (think Jazz box, but certainly not limited to)

The H535 is a Semi-Hollow guitar. And, well .... very well thought of, as well. (Blues, Country, Classic Rock ... but again, not limited to)

BTW, DALB (Dark Almond Burst) is Gorgeous!!!

The 575/575 Custom/575 Custom mahogany are all available as new stock.

The 575 is about 2" thicker on the rims and a 16" lower bout as opposed to the 535's 17" lower bout. The 575 was a comfortable fit for me after 40 years of dreadnaughts.

Both are stellar guitars. Go for it!

Dittos to the above.

Definite differences in construction, with the 575 being an actual carved maple top and bottom, with a thicker 2 3/4" hollow body. Its closer to the ES175 or Guild CE100 except the Gibby and Guild are laminate top, not carved. Think Joe Pass, Pat Metheny or Steve Howe.

The 535 is a classic laminated top and bottom, double cutaway, much thinner at 1 5/8" with a solid center block. Think BB King, Alvin Lee, or Chuck Berry style guitar. Close relatives would be the ES335 or the Guild Starfire 4. My first guitar lust was for a red semihollow Gibson, some 50 years ago. When I finally got around to buying one, I went with the 535. Great guitar, especially for blues and rock.

Teo: I have owned both of the models you are considering. I found that the H-535 suited my style better than the H-575 for a couple of reasons. I'll list them here:

1. The bridge on the H-575 is NOT anchored to the top of the guitar and anyone with an active right hand can knock the bridge over or push it out of its proper position. (I did this a few times. Could have had the bridge "pinned", but did not do it.) The 535 gas a bridge that is locked in place.

2. The jack location on the H-575 is in the end pin, whereas the jack is on the bottom rim for the H-535. Because of using a strap most of the time I much prefer the jack to be located on the rim as opposed to the end pin.

3. The 535 has a solid center block and allows it to be "pushed" like you would a LP for blues or rock. The 575 being completely hollow will not allow you to do that,as it will feedback much more quickly.

4. I found the tones of the 575 to be more of a "one trick pony" compared to the very versatile tones of the 535.

Of course, these are only my opinions and your mileage will certainly vary.

Take care.

Stringman

Ah! TalismanRich is right. The 575 is a solid wood guitar; top, sides and back. It helps with the wood coloring the sound.

Unlike the above post, I found the 575 to be a guitar with many facets. From classical, jazz to high gain rock - it performs superbly. It takes on many personalities through the adjoined amp. Whether you use a clear Fender Twin, Bad Cat, Vox, Bogner or High gain Soldano, it's there with attitude. As with all good instruments, it takes time but pays off with a grin that lasts a lifetime.

Try them both, decide for yourself. I wager one will fit the bill for you.

Enjoy the journey and keep us abreast; won't you?

Many good points here. They are quite distinct, in every way. I do not have an h535, but do have an old ES-335 and Epiphone Elite Riviera. Along with an H575 custom. How suitable the the 575 is depends on your preferences (how comfortable are you with larger, fully hollow body guitars), most of all with what you play and at what volume.

The semi hollows will be much easier to control at higher volumes, tend to be extremely versatile due to that and the fact that you can definitely hear and feel the air around the pickups, even with the center block. The h575 can be versatile too, especially so if you get a set of Doug's plugs.

For me the choice is mostly what is getting played. The 535 can do jazz for sure, but my preference there would go to the 575. For the other stuff I play - blues, old rock, fusion - the semi hollow is the safer choice, assuming a louder setting.

MD

I think I can call a consensus here. We think both would be the best course.

Since I have an Eagle Classic for vintage jazz sound, the 535 would be my next choice, along with another hollow body with P-90s.

I'm sure you see the trend here. It's a blessing, and a curse.

Most agree if there were only one option it would be a 535 because of it's versatility. If you are a straight ahead jazz guy, you can't go wrong with the 575.

I have 7 Heritage guitars including an H 575 Custom and a custom built H 530. The H 575 is my favorite in the collection as I use it strictly for jazz playing (Bill Wild pups, flatwound strings, etc.). I have always been a huge Pat Metheny fan and my H 575 looks a lot like his old ES 175 (that is now beat to hell from too much touring). My point is that I love this guitar for jazzier stuff or clean blues. My H 530 is also great for clean jazz tones, but, pumped up, it sounds awesome (whereas, the 575 is like an out of control python with feedback issues). Both guitars are keepers for me. My final point, I don't think you can go wrong either way you lean...really depends on what you want to play.

I play a 535. I like the way it fits my lanky body better than a thicker guitar like a 575 or 550. A 535 just hangs right when I hold it.

As for necks, they are all different. Now they tend to build thicker necks. When I ordered a custom I had to be sure they understood I wanted a thin neck.

As for tone I can get it with the 535 or my buddy's 550. They both howl.

As for the bodies, I like the double cut away on the 535. I play high up on the frets at times and I hate having to turn my hand around the guitar to reach them.

Best of luck!

Hello All,

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you for your help. Very informative. I'm hoping to go play and maybe buy this guitar this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd give all of you an update. In the end I bought the guitar (h575) after some lengthy negotiations. The bridge pickup is a bit "scratchy" from time to time and there's a bit of a buzz coming out of the soundbox when I play the bass strings with "feeling." Hence the lengthy negotiations. So I'll have to take it into my not so local repair shop. It's a 2009 and I'm sort of wondering how often some of you might take your guitar in for a "tune-up" so to speak. I'm sure it depends on how much you play it, but a general since of how often would be nice.

It came with flatwound strings, and I'm sort of feeling as though it's a bit too "mellow" for my tastes.

But I think I'm really going to like this guitar once I sort out a few things. It plays really nice.

Ken

Well this is my first time uploading images so let's see how we do.

The first is the h575 of course, and the second is another I bought last weekend, an hft 445 that Heritage only made from 1985 'till 1989.

post-22353-0-88285400-1457648765_thumb.jpg

post-22353-0-49850600-1457648775_thumb.jpg

So I guess I'm all in for Heritage. I've got a couple guitars I need to sell now also.

Ken

I thought I'd give all of you an update. In the end I bought the guitar (h575) after some lengthy negotiations. The bridge pickup is a bit "scratchy" from time to time and there's a bit of a buzz coming out of the soundbox when I play the bass strings with "feeling." Hence the lengthy negotiations. So I'll have to take it into my not so local repair shop. It's a 2009 and I'm sort of wondering how often some of you might take your guitar in for a "tune-up" so to speak. I'm sure it depends on how much you play it, but a general since of how often would be nice.

It came with flatwound strings, and I'm sort of feeling as though it's a bit too "mellow" for my tastes.

But I think I'm really going to like this guitar once I sort out a few things. It plays really nice.

Ken

If it's new to me, I probably take it to my guy, just like you. I want my own set up on it. After that it usually holds pretty much indefinitely so unless a problem develops or I want to make a change that's about it.

Congrats on the new guitars!

Archived