Heritage Owners Club

Potential first time amp build - BYOC Tweed Royal

I'm considering a BYOC Tweed Royal as a first time amp build later this year. This would be a Christmas present to myself.

I've never built an amp before. But I have extensive experience soldering and designing guitar circuits. The instructions are very clear with a lot of pictures. My thought is that as long as I carefully go step by step, and take my time in the process, the build should be successful. I have a Weber 5e3 head cabinet that I think the amp will fit in.

For those that have built amps before, what are your thoughts on this as a first project?

A couple of years ago I built a Trinity Tramp head (single 6L6, single 12AX7) from a kit.

Looks like this..........

P1030296_zps70df3095.jpg

The BYOC gut shots are very tiny, but it doesn't look a whole lot more complicated than mine. More tubes, though.

If you're good at soldering, and are willing to take your time to get things carefully arranged BEFORE you solder, you shouldn't have any difficulty with that kit.

A pair of good needle-nose pliers (really thin, long jaws) is a must.

Although I had read the Tramp should take about 15 hours to complete, I went slowly and spent twice that much time on it, but a lot of that was just me deliberately trying to keep things as neat as possible.

Good luck. It's a fun and rewarding thing to do.

Take your time with it, don't rush and double check everything before you power it up. Better still once it is finished and double checked, if you can, put it away overnight then have a fresh triple check with fresh eyes in the morning. Coffee may be needed for fresh eyes to function normally.

I considered trying a build before I bought my PR AA1164. but lately, i haven't had the patience to sit down and commit to something like that. Too many distractions which I feel would end up causing me to miss some critical detail. That said, I think the probability of you being successful is pretty darn good. Its just soldering and following directions.

I agree with the folks above, give it a shot!

Archived